Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Haute Route, finally completed.....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Did the Haute Route (Chamonix -> Zermatt) a couple of years ago but the weather closed in on the last night and we weren't able to get to Zermatt Sad

So on Saturday morning Tim and I headed up to Arolla with a view to completing the last stage - Cabane des Vignettes to Zermatt.

Made our way up from Arolla to Cabane des Vignettes. It's on the left side of the right hand col in the picture - you can just about make out the helipad sticking out...

Ad for the Gay Ski Touring society...

The Cabane des Vignettes perched on a cliff!

It's pretty busy at the moment with Haute Route season and people training for the PdG so no room at the inn. Needing to kill a couple of hours in the hope of a late cancellation we decided to head up one of the neighbouring peaks. The Pigne d'Arolla...

Took some pics on the way up. UFO!

Tomorrows route - hopefully!

Prayer flags at the summit

It was pretty hard work. Recovering in one of the complientary deckchairs...

We got lucky and they had a couple of beds spare. Pretty good ones too!

Dawn start for 25km's to Zermatt. We were the 2nd group out....

The Pigne in the morning sunshine. Getting busy on the track.

Smokey

The skin track to the 2nd climb - Mt Brulé

The last bit is pretty steep. Good practice on the conversions!

At the top of the 3rd climb - Col de Valpelline - The Matterhorn made an appearance

Gaping crevasses on the Stockji glacier

Wonderful feeling to be alone(ish) high up in the Alps in the April sunshine and got some miles in our legs in prep for the petit PdG!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
awesome Very Happy spring is a great time of year!

those crevase photos give me the heebie jeebies though!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bobinch, good effort glad the no booking gamble worked out. You probably got the best snow of the weekend too. Makes me think we should have gone for it in the week but I'd have missed those days on Mt Gele so. Snowing here atm.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dang, how are those big BD booties on a long haul??

great shots
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
barry, they're Tim's. He bought them last year and skis everywhere on them. Had to change the inner boot this year as it packed out pretty badly. They are relatively heavy (2.2kg's?) but we have both decided to go a bit heavier on boots (I've gone for Dynafit Titans) and save the weight on skis and bindings. Light boots tend to be pretty soft and as we usually ski for the downhill and rarely do multi day tours or races they don't really make sense for us. Saying that they were fine for this 2 day trip and we will also use them on the PdG. Only reason I would go for lighter boots is if I was getting into regular multi day ski tours which would be daft given all the lift served powder we get around here!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Swirly, we told them we'd sleep anywhere and didn't think they'd send us down. We thought we'd get a blanket on a cold, stone floor so got pretty lucky in the end! To be honest, even if we'd had to go down we had decided to try and do the Zermatt day from Arolla - it would have been a long day but we got from Arolla to Vignettes in 2 hours and you wouldn't need to leave the Vignettes until 8am to comfortably make it to Zermatt by 2pm. We took it pretty easy and it took us 6 hours including a lunch stop and plenty of photo stops. I reckon you and Gorilla should go for it. If you can't get in the Vignettes there is always the Bertol or at worst the Bouqetins unmanned refuge. Or just go down to Arolla and go in the morning from there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bobinch, forecast to snow for the next couple of days, might give it a go if we get a window after that even if we drive to Arolla and just do what you've done.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Swirly, you'll like it. The Stockji glacier is something else!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Swirly, Sorry you didn't make it Sad Here are some more pictures of the Stockji

Dent D'Herens

The crevasses are so big and full of snow you could probably ski through straight through the middle of them!

Heading further down the glacier under the shadow of the Matterhorn

Looking back up the valley. Dent d'Herens on the left

The Matterhorn from underneath

Here is a link to Swiss Topo maps. You can drill right down to 1:250000 and print out in colour. Great free resource. http://map.schweizmobil.ch/
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stunning as always. Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nice pics
i find myself drawn to the Dent d'Herens - looks like a nice mix of skiing and mountaineering
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bobinch, fab, fab pictures!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Good effort. Vignettes is one of my favorite huts - Chanrion being my favorite. Despite numerous attempts I've never made it past Vignettes for the final push to Zermatt.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bobinch, Awesome pics Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy