Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

4 day trip this Wed evening to Sun evening - any suggestions?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Been trawling websites for last 2 days & now thoroughly confused!!

Looking for somewhere:
-Intermediate skiers (probably average-better end of intermediate - skied Arabba/Marmalada, Zermatt, Schladming, Bad Gastein, various others, but usually stay on-piste) - mostly ski reds, like to pootle on a few blues, then maybe ski the occasional black
-Good snow (can cope with a bit of slush low down/late in day, but want a bit of powder as well)
-Ideally not too far from airport (2 hours or so - maybe 3 max - otherwise no time to ski!)
-Not ridiculously crowded (understand may be busier at weekend)
-Travel out after work Wed or v early Thurs, then back Sun night (from London area)
-Ideally trying to keep budget down (2-3 of us & I'll be paying for everyone!)
-Not fussed about apres-ski (nice to have a bit, but short trip so main focus is on the snow)

Looked at places such as Saalbach, Solden, Ischgl but no suitable flights to Salzburg/Innsbruck/Friedrichshafen. Looked at Saas Fee and Cervinia, but seem to be long journeys from airport (3 hours or more?). Looked at Milky Way, but get impression that season is at an end. Looked at Deux Alpes, Alpe D'Huez, Val Thorens but get the impression that they can be very crowded at this time of the season (& potentially overpriced)? Best flight options (& cheapest) seem to be to Basel or Zurich, but this increases travel time; possibilities for Lyon, Grenoble, Turin, Treviso/Venice but expensive or timings not great.

Am probably being too picky at this stage in season, but would appreciate any tips!

Went to Arabba last year after reading about it on this site & had a wonderful time (did post a question about the Garni Emma, so just for reference, it was perfectly acceptable - clean, comfortable, convenient and good for the price).

Many thanks for any help!

Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mustgotobed, doubt anywhere will be that busy now, certainly L2A/AdH weren't at this time last year and it's got a lot quieter here than it was last week.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Having just got back from Les Deux Alpes last week it was quieter than any of the previous 3 Easters and there has been plenty of snow in the last couple of weeks too. We even skied on Pied Moutet last week, last year it was almost bare.

I wouldn't personally go to Alpe D'huez this late, too much of it is south facing, and it is more expensive that Les Deux Alpes which is among the cheaper of the large French resorts.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I wouldn't personally go to Alpe D'huez this late

Controversial. Although I'd agree in this case.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Swirly, I really like Alpe D'Huez too and have been twice in late March, just not sure I'd risk it in April.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Colin B, depends what you go for, one good thing about the area is the aspects on offer mean you get a good and predictable corn cycle on the go. Also the snow traversing back to the Col du Sarrene melts out meaning you don't need skins or to pay for a heli to get back from stuff off the back. A few runs following the sun can then be finished off with a descent in late day slush to Vaujany. But if you're looking for pistes then there's a small window between icy death and wet slush making it less than ideal and L2A would probably be a better option.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cool - very useful advice - many thanks! Happy

Seems the best way to get there would be to fly to Lyon, then pick up a car - does that make sense?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mustgotobed, Grenoble is closer/quicker, if you arrive at the right time you might be able to get there by bus with a change in the town. If you fly with Ryanair what they advertise as Lyon is actually Grenoble.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mustgotobed, look at Geneva with Swiss from Heathrow some very good deals, no extras for kit or baggage, as has been said before nowhere is going to be tha busy, look at Tignes / Val D'Isere, try Alpine Tracks who do short breaks and include transfers.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Brilliant - will look into all the above...

Did try Grenoble, but all flights full. However, the restriction on coming back Sun night now appears to have been lifted, so also makes flight options a little easier... Hurrah!!

Getting very excited - was looking like no skiing this year so will be very glad to get something booked! Happy

Thanks everyone.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mustgotobed, tbh Lyon is still closer then Geneva for the Oisans resorts.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just realised that I was terribly rude and entirely failed to provide an update or my final thanks on this.
In the end, we decided to fly to Milan (based on price/availability) and drive to Cervinia (fly out after work, stay in hotel at bottom of mountain (Chatillon) for the first night, then in Cervinia for 3 days). In the end, worked out as Thur-Mon rather than Wed-Sun....
All sorted. Fabulous. Stayed up late Wed night packing my suitcase... Woke up Thur am vaguely aware of radio... suddenly jumped upright as started to be aware of the words being spoken "xxx airport closed; yyy airport closed; iceland; volcano" although took a little more time before the old grey matter started functioning enough to realise "OMG we're supposed to be flying later today!!"... (my language may have been a little bluer)
Spent all day Thursday in the office with my packed case next to me ready to go to the airport....
Spent all day Friday in the office with my packed case next to me ready to go to the airport....
Spent all day Saturday in the flat with my packed case next to me ready to go to the airport....
On Sunday, I admitted defeat & unpacked (was running out of underwear!).
If only we'd stuck to the Wed departure, then we'd have been stuck on the slopes unable to go to work... (how dreadful!)
Sadly not... and so the season ended with disappointment and no skiing. Sad
I'm DEFINITELY going skiing this year!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mustgotobed, oh poor you, what an absolute bug! How frustrating Sad

Really hope you have a fabulous ski holiday this year! In fact, more than one - you deserve it snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mustgotobed, Commiserations Sad I don't have anything booked for this season yet, but do have to admit to being delayed in Whistler in April by the Icelandic volcano Embarassed ........... snowHead snowHead snowHead

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you suffer a similar inconvenience to mine this season snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy