Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What mid-fats to get?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I currently have a pair of piste skis and am looking to add a pair of mid-fats around 90-95mm. These will be largely for lift served off-piste in decent snow conditions. I would like it to perform reasonably well in bumps and not too tight trees and prefer skis to be lively rather than damp. I'm not to bothered about doing tricks or skiing backwards so twin tips are not strictly necessary.

I am 6'2", 70kg and an advanced skier, I have done a bit of research and have shortlisted:

Atomic Snoop
Fischer Watea 94
Head John 94
K2 Kung Fujas

just wanted some feedback from people on these and any other skis that people think might be suitable. I am not in any hurry to buy so 2011 skis can also be considered but i do like a bargain!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
slowphil, I liked the Scott Crusade when I tried it for 4 days in December, they work pretty well on piste too. Filarinskis were doing a good deal on them recently.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
High Society Freerides
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
movement source or even sluff
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
seeing as these would be you off piste pair, stretch it to 100mm and include this years line blend.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Try the new version of Nordica's Enforcer at 98mm. I love the old ones.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
slowphil, how stiff as Olly's freeride suggestion is a good one but they are stiff...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
slowphil, That is very skinny - glad you are not in my rugby team - and by the way we can ski Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi All, yes i am very skinny - one of those people who get away with being a human dustbin without looking like one, funnilly enough rugby wasn't something i ever looked forward to playing in PE! My current skis are some Scott RCX in 179 which are fairly stiff as i am fit i can drive it when not feeling lazy. I was looking for something on the softer side and i seem to be caught between lengths on the high societey FRs.

I had it in my mind not to go above 100mm, having checked these beasts out in shop i couldn't really get my head around actually skiing on them without tripping myself up with them + I'm not really sure i need the extra width, i ski in France in and around alpes d'huez most of the time and get about 3 weeks a year in.

Colin B, The scott skis all look a bit too turny to me so i disregarded them but barry, i do like the look of those movement sources and most their skis are viewed fairly positively - any good reviews on these?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scarpa wrote:
Try the new version of Nordica's Enforcer at 98mm. I love the old ones.

I concur
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
slowphil, havent skied the sources but have had a couple of pairs of their closest predecessor the Gladiator, brilliant brilliant ski, i imagine the source to be top notch too. Just recently added the sluffs to my bag (after retiring a well bashed up set of Glads actually), and they're great fun, carving proper big up-on-the-edge GS turns on 99mm skis on a hardpacked morning followed by surfing soft gorgeous spring snow in the afternoon. Good deals around right now too (you wont get much of a deal on the sources i wouldnt think but the sluffs yes). You still might be able to get your hands on a pair of gladiators - try noble-custom shop maybe. Overall movements are on the stiffish side though they manage a "progressive flex" - softer, poppier tips and tails stiffening up underfoot.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dynastar Sixth Sense Bigs. Ignore the lame name, apart form graphics they are still the same as teh old Big Trouble, which is an awesome all-round freeride ski. 92mm underfoot, fairly stiff but soft enough to be playful, the amount of 'upturn' at the front makes it float in the deep stuff much better than other 90mm skis such as the Prophet 90's. Go for the 186 - with the unusually big 'upturn' at the tail (aswell) it skis around 6cms shorter than a flat tailed ski. Oh, and the kkick up an insanely big rooster tail too - great for cutting up your mates lol. Could save some dollar too by just buying the Big Troubles - plenty of them around for very good prices on American ebay.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
o11y wrote:
High Society Freerides

I've got one pair of 09/10 187cm HSFR's left going at the right price.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Spyderjon, thanks for the heads up i actually checked your site out but those FRs are too fat for me at the mo. clarky999, the sixth sense bigs have gone on the shortlist. Does anybody have any feedback on atomic snoops? i see from another thread eb are selling them for cheaps.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy