Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

OBERGURGL SNOWBOARD OR NOT TO SNOWBOARD

Poster: A snowHead
HI we are thinking of going to Obergurgl, this Christmas, anyone been boarding there? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some do, most ski. Can be hard and icy at Christmas.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eretochat wrote:
HI we are thinking of going to Obergurgl, this Christmas, anyone been boarding there? Puzzled

hang on... what? I should think thousands of people have boarded there. What's the question? If you snowboard, then snowboard... if you ski, then ski...? If it's a conditions-related question then it's pointless as no-one has the faintest idea on the conditions next week let alone at Christmas... yes, it can be icy but it can also be fluffy and powdery and it can also be bright, clear and sunny and it can also be complete bare of snow and it can also be raining... what's the question? It's snow, you board on it, it has lifts, you use them to get up before you board back down... how can any slope be better/worse for boarding than any other?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ok relax lol, was just wondering if anyone here has been there, and let me know what its like to board there, thats all. Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Steve have you been there at Christmas? the season starts in November, also have seen some good videos on you tube snow looks amazing over past few years, when where you there?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
eretochat wrote:
ok relax lol, was just wondering if anyone here has been there, and let me know what its like to board there, thats all. Puzzled

But that's what confuses me... Why would boarding in Obergurgl be different from boarding in, say, Chamonix? Or Garmisch-Partenkirchen? Or Flaine? I'm truly intrigued by the question, to be honest. And I'm perfectly relaxed, thanks...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
never said there was a difference mate, just wanted to get some info on the resort is all, example are the runs nice and wide, lift system etc. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
...and a quick use of the search function gives 58 hits for "obergurgl", of which a few are from this thread, obviously. Might just be some reading to be done in those other results though?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eretochat wrote:
never said there was a difference mate, just wanted to get some info on the resort is all, example are the runs nice and wide, lift system etc. snowHead

But you asked "to snowboard or not to snowboard" and now you've asked about general resort information which affects skiing, boarding and blading equally... doesn't it? This is why I was asking for clarification on your question. Are you a boarder and your actual question is related to the lift system and the quaint notion that resorts with drag lifts are to be avoided by boarders, for example? If not, then more clarification is needed.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hey cool thanks. All info welcome here also. Little Angel
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
eretochat, I've been there for 9 Christmases. I ski, but there aren't that many drag lifts and plenty of quick chairs. As carled says and knows better than most of us the weather can vary. However because it's very high, new snow can be scoured off quite quickly by winds high up. As they open very early they have extensive snow making and that can give a firm base, which I understand some snowboarders don't appreciate. wink

I do agree with carled to some extent though, a mountain's a mountain (at that altitude) and there are other variables (accommodation, access, cost, apres etc) which should probably influence your decision more.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
omg you are a pain, ok yes i am a boarder and yes my question was about is Obergurgl as a resort in full review, including lifts runs all info on the place. Yes i hate drag lifts.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Also there are two obergurgl reports in the "resort reports" section here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5047
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eretochat wrote:
omg you are a pain, ok yes i am a boarder and yes my question was about is Obergurgl as a resort in full review, including lifts runs all info on the place. Yes i hate drag lifts.

OK, fair enough, I'll leave you to it then. Sorry for trying to help!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thanks carled. snowHead
ski holidays
eretochat, I went there last season for Xmas and had a cracking time. I'm a skier, but based on my experience, here's a few things that might help:

The weather for us was excellent - the resort opens in November and it's a high resort, so if it were me I wouldn't worry too much about conditions. When we were there, the entire resort and pretty much every run was open.

The lift system is very modern. I only remember doing one drag-lift (over in the gondola-linked resort of Horchgurgl). So no problems there.

Don't seem to remember too many cat-tracks either - so getting around should be easy.

Because of the altitude, a lot of the runs are above the tree-line - particularly in Horchgurgl, where there are quite a few big wide motorway type runs. In bad weather you can head for the tree-lined runs lower down in Obergurgl.

Virtually no lift queues ... which is the major bonus of the resort.

There are no terrain parks in Obergurgl/Horchgurgl - so if you like this sort of thing you'll need to get on the bus to Solden (your lift pass allows one day visit to Solden).

Hope this helps,
latest report
Great thanks
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy