Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

There's no powder in Europe and fat skis are a fashion statement...

Poster: A snowHead
You have to go to Alaska for powder. Or Utah or at least Colorado! And you won't get more than a handful of days on those fat skis...

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

The Easter weekend was another reminder of how good this season has been in this neck of the woods. Following the heavy snow at the weekend Monday was a bluebird day. And what a day....

Opening up the couloir on the skiers right of the main chimney

Horizon forgetting about the 12 hour drive the night before....

Beautiful light powder

S for Snowheads snowHead

Back up for some action on Mt Gele. The front side was looking superb...

But the couloirs above Chasseur are harder to access and offer some superb lines... Swirly on the bootpack.

The view into the Gazex couloir

And round the corner here's the top of banana

Swirly impersonating Ali G

Nice lines

Smokey...

The skiers right on the bottom half was orgasmic

Went up for a another look on Tuesday. View into the S couloir

The gazex machines blow the snow out of here which makes the steep top part a bit intimidating

The lower section was superb

Back up for a crack at the Gazex. Panda avoidance waiting for the slowboarder Very Happy. And Tom in the background, a fantastic young skier, wondering why he's going back to a grad job in London...

Tom hucking into Gazex

Even great skiers get it wrong Very Happy

Great couple of days to end a cracking week in Nendaz. Thanks to all the guys and girls who came skiing with us. It was a pleasure!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
More from Swirly... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=63553
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shweeeeet!!!!...... all superb shots.....

okbye
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
great shots!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bobinch, I've loved all the photos, thank you. Feel completely worthless now though Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jealous me not Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bobinch, fab photos Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bobinch, just looks like beautiful cold smoke, was that the best snow of your epic season?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gsyfreerider, it was up there but I'd say the best was the day on Mt Fort N face and the Bec.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lovely pictures! snowHead snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHead snowHead We don't seem to have heard much about Utah and Colorado recently. I'm not jealous because it's entirely my fault I can't ski well enough to do that stuff. Lovely to see photos of other people doing it though.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, I reckon you ski plenty well enough to do that kind of stuff.....get some fatter skis in the end of season sales, your technique is all there IMHO.....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
that picture of Horizon is the definition of a s41t eating grin wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gsyfreerider, there were so many great days this season but it was up there with the best. As Swirly says last Thursday? was also superb and practically every weekend in Jan and Feb offered fresh tracks as well. My favourite run of the season is still the Vallee Noir that we did on a Hellbroner day earlier in the season but the bottom of banana in waist deep snow and perfect sunshine on Monday ran it close!

pam w, it's just light hearted banter with the old school diehards on Snowheads.... We often have just as good conditions in Europe and we certainly have much better mountains - more elevation, more Alpine in feel and much more liberty to explore.

I don't know your ski level but you'd be surprised how much easier it is these days to ski off piste on rockered skis. I drone about this a lot but if you get a day with 20cm of fresh snow hire a pair of wide, rockered skis and get a decent skier to take you out on some gentle relatively untracked terrain. I have a sneaking suspicion you will surprise yourself... There is no better feeling!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bobinch, I'm not biting. Got work to do.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
bobinch, I'm not biting. Got work to do.

Fully understand. I imagine it will be very hard work flogging all those slalom skis Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Wow. Just wow. snowHead
snow report
Great photos, I'm very envious. I've had to cancel two trips this season and it looks like I missed some of the best snow. The joys of being out there all-season long - you definitely should have something fat in your quiver when conditions are this good!
snow conditions
 brian
brian
rob@rar wrote:
you definitely should have something fat in your quiver when conditions are this good!

I kind of think that's the wrong way round. When conditions are this good, you could grab a pair of euro-carvers and have fun. It's when it's heavy, cruddy, crusty, etc. you really need to be fashionable. wink
snow report
Nice. Last shot has the steeze, undoubtedly.
snow conditions
I need to stop reading photo threads...

No, actually what I really need is to get some powder like that next season! Great work guys Cool
ski holidays
brian wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
you definitely should have something fat in your quiver when conditions are this good!

I kind of think that's the wrong way round. When conditions are this good, you could grab a pair of euro-carvers and have fun. It's when it's heavy, cruddy, crusty, etc. you really need to be fashionable. wink

Brian, you are spot on although clearly fat skis are best for both. On Tuesday when it was a mix of powder and heavier snow I skied my old touring skis - Mythic Riders (88mm) and my new (faulty grrrr) 183 Bros (100mm) to do the comparison with the Kuro's. As you say, both are fine in the powder and ok, if hard work, in the heavy stuff but neither are anywhere near as much fun as the Kuro's in either conditions.

I would take my wife down banana on her Kuro's but wouldn't think about it if she was on her old 85mm freeride skis. It makes that much difference to anyone except a truly expert skier with faultless off piste technique.
ski holidays
Sat in Heathrow at the mo - pretty glad I left my skis and boots in Canada, or I'd be jumping on a flight to the Alps and maxing my credit card rather than getting my connection home...

Oh, and my last 3 days in Fernie were pow days on my 75mm underfoot carvers - I started to replicate the movements (slashed/slarved turns) on them that I'm so used to on fatties, and it does actually work - just super intense work to stay balanced, and nowhere near as nimble. Had a moment where I tried to slide between tight trees and had to have an emergency sit down snowHead
snow conditions
bobinch,
Quote:

anyone except a truly expert skier with faultless off piste technique

You are too kind, dear sir, thank you.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
bobinch,
Quote:

anyone except a truly expert skier with faultless off piste technique

You are too kind, dear sir, thank you.

Bu99er, I thought I was one-nil up there but I think you have equalised!
snow report
More great shots guys! Touring season hasn't even started for you lot, so good, you still got the corn to come! Wooo-hoooooo!

I refer to my original comment that April is easily the best time in Verbier.
ski holidays
Great Shots Bob!

Good to see the blue came in the end.

Kev

What happened about the helislkiing? Did they go?
snow report
parlor wrote:
More great shots guys! Touring season hasn't even started for you lot, so good, you still got the corn to come! Wooo-hoooooo!

I refer to my original comment that April is easily the best time in Verbier.

Its only a few good freeze thaw cycles away too Very Happy

Arctickev, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arctickev, yep they went to Monterosa, were guided by the current world speed skiing champion, had the best heliski conditions of the season and did 4 helidrops! Me jealous, never.... I've got it on the menu for you next year!
ski holidays
parlor, doing Arolla to Zermatt this weekend. Forecast is for blue skies...
snow report
Agree about renting fatter skis if there is a chance to get decent off piste conditions. Did Flaine the other week and just did not have the convidence to follow my mate boarding. Then after a good few hrs of snow decided to give it a go but hired some Scott Crusaders for a day......Wow what a difference...felt much better and had the convidence to go where i would not normaly bother.
snow conditions
bobinch, thanks for your encouragement. I had a lesson off piste in January, on my ordinary skis (Rossignol Attraxion V) and did OK - but I found it tiring. I didn't fall, though for every half dozen nice turns I did, I did one whizzing off across the piste in defensive fashion. The instructor said the snow wasn't great - though it wasn't too bad either. I'll have to give it a bit more time next year, and take up the suggestion to hire the right skis. But I am too old to start hiking up mountains with skis on my back. wink Should have started 35 years ago. Sad

I might try to do an off piste course next year, maybe, or spend some time in Les Deux Alpes with easiski.
snow conditions
For Powder - Zermatt last Sunday afternoon and then Monday under blue skies offered great powder and rather a lot of fun on my fat K2 Coomback skiis!
ski holidays
bobinch, but seriously...

My very first holiday in Verbier saw me (at a cracking 26 of age), a bro and his mate wake in resort with cloud as high as we could see - so we decide to go as high as we could find in case we could break out above it.

Imagine. There we are, never skied the area in our lives, breaking through the clouds above Attelas in the Mt Gele cable car into brilliant sunshine, 40cms of fresh and finding ourselves on top of Mt Gele.

Woo! Hoo!!! We yoyo'ed Mt Gele all day with a brief lunch stop. Powder lines every time. Fabulous.

Thus ensued a truly epic week, hooked up with a quasi local and did everything we could - stairway, rock garden, Vallon d'Arbi, bootpacking here, there and everywhere - culminating on the Friday in a stonking descent off the back of Mont Fort in fresh powder followed by a mighty fine lunch Chez Dany.

My point? This was 1992 and I was on 201 Rossi 7SKs, one of the first consumer "race department" skis. Skinny as you like. I think, about 66 under foot, and not a huge amount wider tip and tail. I could measure them tomorrow if you really want to know.

You don't need to be expert (we're competent) nor have faultless technique to ski deep powder on skinny skis. You just need to know what you're doing...

For completeness, it was one of the sweetest rigs I've had with fluoro cherry Look RCs and Tecnica TNTs in fluoro pink with green buckles to match my green SOS pants.

(Well, it was the early '90s..., do please cut me some slack on the fashion front...)

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 9-04-10 7:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
snowHead snowHead We don't seem to have heard much about Utah and Colorado recently. I'm not jealous because it's entirely my fault I can't ski well enough to do that stuff. Lovely to see photos of other people doing it though.

Reason it's been quiet from North America is we've been too busy skiing deep El Nino pow. We had a 24 inch powder day at Mt Bachelor, Oregon last weekend, nice -10C, cold smoke everywhere. The Cascades have has about 7-8 feet of snow since March 29th. It's equally 'grim' in the Rockies, I hear - went to Denver last week for work and there was a foot of fresh at the airport!

I don't have any idea why more folks in Europe don't at least ski all mountain mid fats. They're fine things on and off piste. Check out Fischer Watea 84s, for example, great go everywhere skis that offer complete 'go anywhere' versatility. In North America, an 80mm width is the new skinny ski ....

Great photos BTW - looked truly epic!
ski holidays
under a new name, ahhhhh you still don't get it do you? And your 201 Rossis were gay. "Race Room" yeah, for the ladies maybe.
ski holidays
parlor, been there, got it, forgot it, coming round again... snowHead
ski holidays
Wow! Really hoping for snow as good as this when we get to the Alps this weekend. You make it look so easy, if only... Cool
ski holidays
gortonator,
Quote:
I don't have any idea why more folks in Europe don't at least ski all mountain mid fats

They do.

1. I think you'll find these days that most Europeans who own their own skis do. A triumph in many cases of marketing over sense Twisted Evil Those that you see not doing so are probably (and appropriately) on rentals (and may well only ski one week a year). Don't forget that European skiing patterns are (I think) quite different to US ones (at least in my limited experience of US ski habits).

2. "Europe" doesn't typically get the volume and type of powder that the US continental areas get. The photos above awesome though they are (I don't think so anyway, I wasn't there, but was skiing snow not sooo far away and it was lovely), don't appear to be showing the kind of bottomless, champagne powder you often see in UT, CO, MA, WY. So a different ski, is, IMV, appropriate. (If they are showing it, lusky bvggers, we didn't have it that bottomless in Cham).

Quote:
They're fine things on and off piste
Hmmm, not quite, They're a hindrance to learning if you're not technically terribly proficient. Definitely over 85mm, possibly over 80mm.
latest report
Under a new name, your comments are interesting!

Of course you can ski down powder fields on thin waisted ski's (have you even seen apocalypse snow? one of the best ski/snow videos ever.

But the way you ski fatter skis is totally different, less tiring jumping type turns and more "floating higher speed turns".

An old mate of mine and the founder of the Northern Irish Fat Ski club used to ski salomon ak rockets 195's as his only ski, so moguls, off piste, touring and piste bashing (this was in 2000).

So when you say that you can ski without the best technique on and off piste with skinny ski's, you can of course do the same with fat ski's..... and in fact having done a few seasons and having the benefit of skiing everything from GS skis to short tin tips in all coniditions.

I think you are slightly missing the point on the way fat skis are skied and that this "new" way/style of skiing is totally different to the off piste experience you get from skiing thinner skis...

Ps.... for the record.... I'm Bobinch's brother although we are quite different in the way we ski and what skis we choose to ski (sadly I'm an unfit punter now!)

I've got to say a big thanks to all the snowheads who we skied with! Great people, great days out!

Kev
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy