Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Contamines or Les Houches/Megeve/La Clusaz/Le Grand Bornand/StGervais next week?

Poster: A snowHead
Ok have a free day to use in any of the above, next week, so looking for advice to see if any are more likely to be good for snow bearing in mind where we are in the season!

I have had one recommendation for Les Contamines so am off to check out info now.

We will be driving from Les Gets and kids have been primed for early start. Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We're in Le Grand Bornand this week and the snow is suffering a bit now. Rain today and forecast for tonight and tomorrow. Freezing levels are high so I wouldn't recommend it for next week.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lou, just back from skiing Cote 2000/Rochebrune in Megeve and the snow was in good shape. From guests reports (haven't been over there myself) the lowest slopes in La Clusaz are starting to suffer slightly but upper slopes are fine. But, next week... who knows? There are partial closures in Megeve from the 11th I think (but definitely not the Cote 2000)...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les Contamines would generally be my choice once you get into April. An extra fifteen minutes to drive though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lou, I think I'd be inclined to go for Les Contamines (though it's the only one of your options I know well, so my opinion might be a bit suspect). You'll need to get right up the top, and stay there, if possible. Download in the gondola. The higher, east facing, slopes keep their snow quite well. The Roselette restaurant is a nice spot for lunch - you see it on your right as you go up the Roselette drag.

The Veleray sector is closed but unless long mogully blacks are your thing (they're not mine) that won't bother you too much.

The slopes down on the Belleville side suffer more from the sun but might be nice if you get there early, if it's been freezing overnight. Lovely views, if it's a sunny day (I wouldn't bother with the trip over to Les Contamines if it isn't. The Col de Joly can be quite windy and bleak if it's a miserable day).

We haven't been over there this year - we were just wondering if we'd left it too late.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for honest replies. We will be making a decision nearer the time as free day or not, it may not be worth it. I want to have somewhere in mind if conditions are right.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lou, there are some nice long cruisy red and blue runs at the top of Les Contamines, and it's compact enough that you won't spend your whole time poring over the piste map.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Les Contamines would also be my first choice for best chance of best snow and likely extent of open slopes.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Annie, hello there. Knowing the whole area as you do, your opinion is more accurately based than mine! snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Had a lovely morning in Les Contamines today. The snow was great till mid-day and quite enjoyable till 1 pm, then it was time for a long lunch. I think I was wrong about the Belleville side in my post above - going up the chairlift today (from the Belleville side) it was clear that the morning sun was shining on the other side, whereas the Belleville pistes (with practically nobody on them - the whole area was very quiet as it's Saturday) stayed frozen longer. It was very pleasant down as far as the middle station of the gondola, early on, then better up on the Aiguille Croche.

Will probably be good till much later in a few days time, when it gets colder. Well worth a visit.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Pam. We are in PdS now and just thinking about the next few days. Where would you recommend parking?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lou, Hmm. I don't know Les Contamines village - we never go down there as the journey over from here to the Belleville side is only 20 - 25 minutes and it takes forever to get to LC village itself. The "Gorge" telecabine from the bottom was out of commission today (technical fault) but they will probably get it going quite quickly. The bottom of the Montjoie gondola is the obvious place, but I don't know how quickly the car park fills up. Best to be early anyway, at the moment. At the end of the day I wouldn't bother to try to ski down - take the gondola down from Etape. The red down to the Gorge telecabine is particularly uninviting at the best of times - it's narrow and steep, basically a road, with quite a drop off the side (there's a warning at the top). It's just the thing to give you the willies with kids. And it's probably closed now anyway. Much better do another nice run up the top, then download by gondola.

We both noticed how many English voices there were over there - still a minority, but so many more than this area. I also noticed both that there were a lot of good skiers around, and that they were all on the piste - don't think the off piste is up to much now. If you can, get up to the Aiguille Croche - stupendous views. We watched a poor little 6 year old doing the black mogulled "Croche" run and decided on the red "Aiguille" instead! They're only short runs, but it's worth the chair up, to get to the top and see the views.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, thanks for helpful bits! Have read info about the red to Gorge out loud to boys in case they try and argue otherwise. Thinking of going on Monday as 2 day forecast is looking bright and cool in the morning (at the mo anyway).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Have read info about the red to Gorge out loud to boys in case they try and argue otherwise.

Laughing you could tell them they'd probably get stuck behind a really nervous beginner.

By far the best of the skiing (and the snow) is at the top - the reds down on the Les Contamines side are all long enjoyable, cruisy runs.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, Laughing they don't seem to get stuck behind anything these days, getting past effortlessly and without causing trouble (long may it last, I can only dream of skiing like them Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
Lou, I think the car park at the Montjoie gondola base is where we usually park - we are always there are crack of dawn as we do things with fairly military (not that he has ever been military) precision in this household as you no doubt gathered at Christmas, and if a job's worth doing and all that sort of thing - so a day out means a day out, and we get there bright and as early as possible and then have coffee and croissants up top. We do not like to feel that someone has got to park before us!!!

All pam w's advice is good re Les Contamines. We have been up on the Chavannes in Les Gets today - how wonderful to have it to ourselves again today after the huge crowds of last week. Daughter arrived very late last night (thanks Easyjet) and so was able to take the strain off us with the magic carpet and the grand-daughter and the latter small person was able to go up the 'big mountain' and come down again, rather faster than intended at some spots, and we are now ready to tackle ski school proper tomorrow for six days. That gives us about 2 hours to stretch our legs again.
snow report
Quote:

how wonderful to have it to ourselves again today after the huge crowds of last week.

was that Brits? It was busier her than the previous couple of weeks, up to 30 seconds wait at some lifts and the pistes less empty than normal. But absolutely no "huge crowds" though I'm sure the resort would have loved to see huge crowds. Plenty of small children in ski school - that was the main difference over previous weeks.
snow report
pam w, well maybe I exaggerate - there were, as you say, plenty of small children in ski school - I didn't ever have to queue for very long - just that it had been very quiet - son and his girlfriend who were staying didn't think it was very busy at all. Yes, there were lots of Brits, also Dutch and Belgians.
latest report
pam w, thanks to you and to all (including Pamski who had also recommended Les Contamines. Went today and had a great day. Very quiet, even on way down. Weather wasn't quite as sunny as expected but we went virtually straight up to Aiguille Croche and caught the views between clouds (considered the black which I had scruntinised on the way up but chickened out as the access to it looked a bit knarly Laughing though should have gone for it as ok further down). I think we covered the area fairly well considering time of year - we didn't go all the way down to Bellville as was nearly 2pm and getting very soft down to 1600m. Had a lovely lunch Chez Gaston. Enjoyed the company of a huge mountain dog, not sure what, but he was lovely.
Parked at La Gorge, all very smooth (mental note made to avoid with very young children, as lots of steps, though haven't got any of those to worry about at the moment). Downloaded via telecabine as per advice. Spent an hour in village, enjoyed a hot choc before coming back.

Thanks all. Would go back snowHead

Now, am off to see if I can use another free day somewhere else. Will stay here in Les Gets tomorrow. Very cheap now for the others as €10/day.
latest report
Lou, good, glad you enjoyed it.
snow report
Bumpety Bump. With Christmas done I feel its time to start counting down the days to my La Giettaz trip at the end of Feb. What's the snow like so far?
snow report
Just for you Shimmy Alcott some on-the-spot iphone snaps of conditions down at the chalet (taken from just underneath your balcony).

They've put a new webcam up at the top by the little green http://www.webcam-ski.com/interfaces/evasion/interface.php?pk_interface=367&m=images&r=panoramique#depart which is more about the views than the pistes to be honest... you can see La Clusaz direction on the left and if you scroll to the right you can see the Praz sur Arly direction.

We've got a large number of catered guests in at the moment so I haven't had time to go out since Christmas Day, but guests are still reporting great skiing on this side (the pistes you can't see from the webcam), where it's north-facing and very quiet, so the snow is staying minty fresh (it has been bitterly cold up there the last few days but is much warmer today).
snow conditions
miranda, thanks, looks fantastic...so looking forward to our trip.
snow report
the snow suffered today - very warm, gutters gushing with water. But conditions now have absolutely no relevance for the end of February, other than the inevitability of lift queues in the busy areas. Took the baby round to the village to do a teeny bit of 10 month old toboganning, and meet her parents for lunch. There were big queues for the main lifts after lunch - and the pistes busy with some of the Nuts and Idiots mentioned the other day. I am more than content to do baby minding, cooking, washing, relaxing a little, this week and just look forward to the quieter weeks to come. I'm spoilt. Crowded pistes, or crowded beaches? You can keep 'em.

The weather outlook thread has some encouraging noises about snow later in January. snowHead
snow report
miranda, just spotted this, gorgeous pictures, can't wait to be there! snowHead
snow report
miranda, just spotted this, gorgeous pictures, can't wait to be there! snowHead
snow conditions
NatalieG, Just got back from Le Grand Bornand yesterday - met Miranda in the summer and armed with the knowledge that the Col d'Aravis rarely closes we had a day in La Giattaz last Wednesday. Glorious blue sky day and a fabulous place to ski - enjoy!!!
snow report
loatie, sounds fabulous. Really looking forward to it! Hopefully I'll manage only to post this once... Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NatalieG, I thought you were just so excited about skiing you had to say it twice! We are really looking forward to introducing you to La Giettaz... and you've managed to sneak your trip in before Shimmy Alcott, so we'll even have some supplies left in the bar to toast your visit with wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy