Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

to physio or not to physio...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I spent last weekend working on my freestyle technique - nothing too dramatic, just lots of riding switch, 180 jumps mid-piste, tail and nose pivots, the odd 180 off lips or kickers.

Inevitably, there were many failures and even when I did land things, I wasn't always smooth and so I was doing lots of upper body twisting and turning.

I now have a pain in my right pectoral and also a pain in the middle of my back between the shoulder blades (which feels like the mirror image of the first pain). I suspect that I have pulled some muscles in the process of leaping about / crashing.

So, does anyone have any experience of seeing a physio for this sort of thing? Should I do it? Is it a waste of time? Should I just try to rest it and let the muscles repair themselves?

(the pain was worth it though - the freestyle stuff is now immeasureably better than it was)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How often do you excercise? I play rugby on a weekly basis. I find that if I get any muscular discomfort it is often best to let it rest for a couple of days untill the pain has died down; then gentle gym work to loosen the muscle up and get it moving often works. But as with all things like this it depends on severity.

Was debating wether to offer advise as I wouldn't want to be responsible for further aggrevating your injury rolling eyes rolling eyes

At least the injury has a silver lining!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you're in North London, I highly recommend CoCo's (Finchley) for a Thai or Shiatzu massage... especially the Thai. After the masseuse has walked barefoot up and down the muscles along your spine a couple of times, I'd be very surprised if all your aches and pains haven't vanished completely...

(Who was it asking if there was anything we expats missed after moving to the back of beyond? Laughing )

http://www.cocoslondon.com/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ginger winger, my usual weekly regime is a couple of 9 mile runs, plus a 45 minute gym session, plus a 45 minute spinning class. I too usually rest when I've overdone it and have never been to a physio, but I thought that some here might have some experience and tell me a better way to recover.

I wondered whether people would be reluctant to "advise" but I am not going to hold anyone to anything and whatever I do is my own decision - cannot expect an accurate diagnosis on the basis of the above!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tony Lane, put some timings to your regime for us and do you do any weights or resistance training?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tony Lane, I have never been to a physio either, If you do decide to visit one it would be interseting to know how you get on. A friend of mine had a sports massage in Alp D'huez this january and came back saying he felt like he had a set of new legs. A tad painful during but he claimed he Boarded the best he had done in yeatrs the following day. I suppose tying wouldn't hurt. Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque wrote:
Tony Lane, put some timings to your regime for us and do you do any weights or resistance training?

the 9 mile runs are runs home at the end of a day at work - but i usually do them in 62-65 minutes (depending mainly on how lucky i am at traffic lights)

the exact details of the gym session depend on my mood but could include a combination of rowing, dumbell exercises, upper body weight machines, pull-ups/dips, cross trainer, some leg weight machines.

actually, now that you have asked for details, it occurs to me that I only started doing the pull-ups and dips again in the last few weeks. They used to be a staple part of my gym sessions but I hadn't done them for ages. Maybe I started a muscle tear doing those again and it was aggravated by the boarding? When I say pull-ups and dips, I use one of those machines that allows you to regulate how much assistance the machine gives you. I have it set so that it is easy to start with, but then i do 4 reps of 10 dips and 10 pull-ups, changing the hand position for the pull-ups with each rep.

if anything, the pain has got more acute today but maybe i have aggravated it during the course of the day as I've been pretty busy today.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 23-03-05 18:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I shall be starting a few months' physio at the end of March for my new bionic shoulder - Bourg St Maurice Les Arcs, a small town of a few thousand inhabitants most of the year, apparently has 17 permanently resident physiotherapists! I wonder why....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the stupid thing is, we were visiting a friend of mine who is a physio in Courchevel!! In a typically stubborn male way, I did not think to ask her about it as I thought that it was just the usual muscular ache. Now that I have been home a few days, it does not seem to have eased and so I am wondering if it needs to be looked at.

PG, the massage recommendation looks good, but right now the idea of someone pummelling my shoulders or chest is not very appealling!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tony Lane, no pummelling (percussion strokes) whatsoever involved in either Thai or Shiatzu (you're maybe thinking of Swedish?) - I used to have a 60 or 90 minute session after a work out at the gym or a game of squash... it's energising, healing, in fact absolute bliss.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tony Lane, I'm more interested in the timing between sesions and how much recovery time you're allowing between them.
DO NOT massage any area that you think has torn muscle or ligament or has ANY visible bruising.
I'd give yourself a week off your current practice and just use unloaded full range of motion (to discomfort) exercise . . . Tia Chi? To allow a semi-decent r&r time.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque wrote:
Tony Lane, I'm more interested in the timing between sesions and how much recovery time you're allowing between them.

Ah, I had wondered why that was relevant!! Embarassed

I guess that a typical week would be spin class Monday lunchtime, gym session Tuesday lunchtime, run home Wednesday, another run home Friday. I certainly try to avoid doing similar exercises on back to back days, although i will happily run on back to back days.

From your other posts it sounds like you have dealt with this sort of thing before, so i value your opinion.

There is no visible bruising (at least there wasn't this morning!)

I think that the week off may be obligatory anyway as work is pretty busy this week Sad

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 23-03-05 19:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes - all competent masseurs establish at the outset if there are any known muscle, or other injuries, or health problems. That said aches and pains can be caused by other problems that can benefit greatly from massage, properly applied.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tony Lane wrote:
my usual weekly regime is a couple of 9 mile runs, plus a 45 minute gym session, plus a 45 minute spinning class.

Would that be with Alastair Campbell or Shane Warne?

Like PG, I'm a firm believer in sports massage.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy