Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpine Elements - Tignes 2010

Poster: A snowHead
Having booked a last minute week in Tignes for me and my brother through Alpine Elements staying in the Chalet Neve in Tignes Le Lac, I thought I'd share my experience (my first time staying in a chalet).

Having read so much bad press about Alpine Elements prior to setting off (and having got pretty near to cancelling as a result) overall I was presently surprised.

The Good:
The chalet had a great location near to the lifts, even managed to ski in on a couple of days when there was so much snow on the road!
Overall the common areas were nicely set out, although much too small for the number of people. Thankfully this wasnt such an issues given the number of families staying out that week (and the children taking up a lot less space) though I hate to think how little space there would be with 24 adults staying!
The food was excellent, both in quality and in the quantity (there was always plenty left over for seconds, or soups etc to eat the next day.) The Chalet staff were excellent, keeping the place in great condition and really going out of their way to help us. They also proved good company in the evenings.
The other guests were great company, I was a bit worried to hear that I was sharing a chalet with 4 families (each with 3 children under 10) but it worked really well and found it all very enjoyable.
The snow, which was awesome! Just wish I had taken slightly wider skis out than the SL9s so I could have enjoyed the powder a bit more. Really enjoyed skiing Tignes and would definitely want to go back!

The Bad:
The room was far too small, with the 'en suite' barely useable, it really felt like the room I was staying in was really intended for the seasonairs to use (particularly as it also contained the pantry which they had to come down and get food from umpteen times a day.) My thinking was that if this ground floor room (sleeping 5 of us) wasn't used, the up staires sitting room and dining room would actually be about right for the numbers.
The beds turned out to be bunks which were much too small for a 6ft+ adult (brochure showed twins)
The flights/transfers were awful, not impressed with a 4 am start and a 6am flight and only getting into resort at about 4pm (then another 4am start to go home.)
The rep seemed more interested in coming to the chalet for a feed and to flog the extras than to actually answer any questions. Ended up getting sold tickets (10euro each) to an evening out touring Tignes pubs, under the promise of 'free' drinks in each bar and much more importantly the chance to meet people from the other chalets (and hopefully find some more people to ski with), This turned out to be just me and my brother + a couple of the chalet hosts (and only one free shot in one bar.) Left the feeling of having been ripped off...
The worst thing he ended up doing was asking a sick mother to take her 2 young children out of the chalet for an hour so that they could clean it up pending an inspection by management...
Their other chalet in Tignes spent most of the week with no gas........

The Ugly:
Somehow a seriously nasty bug hit the chalet, completely knocking about half the guests out for 24 hours. More people kept coming down as the week went on (and I'm half expecting to go down with it tomorrow.)
We found out towards the end of the week that this wasnt the first outbreak of this....

Would I recommend the company?
Probably not,
if I could be guaranteed the same standard of cooking and service from the guys in the chalet and could get a week at a good price maybe, but I think its just too much of a risk. I certainly wouldn't consider paying their full prices!

As for the chalet side of things, I loved it. Will definitely be going down the chalet route next year, and hopefully drag a few more friends out as well!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting! Thanks for this. I was close to pushing ahead with a booking with AE. On the back of your experiences, I will look around a bit more. Possibly see if I can book some chalets direct.
Cheers
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ahh, the old bar crawl with "free drink" in each bar for €10. Didn't know it was still going on or that people still fell for it. Still, you only need to go on one once. Then you realise that you don't actually need any help finding bars (except, of course, when you really don't need to find another bar Twisted Evil ) or, indeed, to meet other people.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tiger2, Guess I'm still too used to how it was at uni when such things were actually worthwhile...
Needless to say, wont be falling for it again!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
Somehow a seriously nasty bug hit the chalet

This seems to happen a lot with Alpine Elements.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
tomstickland, it happens to lots of chalet companies (particularly smaller ones) and it's generally because they can't cover sick staff and send them back to work too soon. Food handlers are supposed to stay away from work until 48 hours after their last symptoms.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A friend went with AE a couple of years back. They didn't have enough room for all the luggage so tied some to the roof of the minibus. You can guess what happened next...

Had to take AE to court to get compensation.

I'm suprised that someone with their first post hasn't has commented that AE are the best thing since sliced bread. Seems to happen quite frequently.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I'm suprised that someone hasn't commented that AE are the best thing since sliced bread.

I'm just back from having my leg put in plaster. Can I be the first to comment that A&E are indeed the best thing since sliced bread? Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alpine Elements - don't do it , no matter how cheap IMHO the_fatadder, had one of the better experiences I've heard of.....

mountainaddict, Get well soon !
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Got a discounted price so I'm going with them in 2 and a bit weeks, will let you know how I get on. It's in another of their Tignes Chalets, Chalet Lavachey, apparently previously run by Esprit.

I've been with them once before and they were ok, no problems then (My reports on another thread for that visit).

snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a week booked with AE.... we'll see ! I'll report back
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Please see my trip report, just posted.

I meant to say that half of our party had a vomiting bug too. From what I've heard, people are coming back from all over Europe with the same bug. Can't see that it's AE's fault in that case. Probably caught it on the flight.

I agree with what you say about the flights. We booked ourselves onto a flight leaving at 0925, only to be told by AE that they are moving us to another flight at 0700. When I wrote back and said that the 0925 flight was a clear part of my booking they agreed to keep us there, and we got a personal minibus transfer to and from the chalet.

Our rep was actually very helpful. She said that (being 3 families) the bar crawl probably won't interest us and neither would the quiz night and didn't try and sell us anything. She organised getting our lift passes with all the complexities of getting various family combinations to reduce the overall price. She came by twice a day to ask if there was anything she could do.

Seems like we were lucky, from what others have said. Trouble is, when you're a large family AE is about all you can afford if you want to go catered.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
McWulf wrote:
Please see my trip report, just posted.

I meant to say that half of our party had a vomiting bug too. From what I've heard, people are coming back from all over Europe with the same bug. Can't see that it's AE's fault in that case. Probably caught it on the flight.

Winter vomiting bug is very common and very easy to catch.

Quote:
The Health Protection Agency said it was difficult to know the precise number of cases because of underreporting, but estimates that the the virus affects between 600,000 and a million people in the UK each year.
source

And, good trip report, I'll look out for omelettes in Tignes wink

snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
An update from here in La Plagne with Alpine Elements.

I was very worried aot AE, they have had some scathing reports in various locations.

I am in Chalet Collette in La Plagne right now, and......... ITS ABSOLUTELY FINE !!! We have been there 6 nights, the food has been lovely and the host is helpful too..... no sick bugs !! The rooms is a cosy double with plenty of storage and plenty of hot water.

OK, its all a bit basic, but when you match against the cost, it exceeds. We paid about £500pp including a full Paradiski lift pass (which is prob about £200). So £300ish for flights, transfer accom, breakfast afternoon tea and cakes 3 course evening meal with free flowing wine.... a bargain i think.

There is a chap in our chalet who thinks the soft furnishings are a bit tires and the curtains are naff and various other "issues" he has, is probably one of the trip advisor posters. He keeps comparing what all these other wonderfull places he has been but is forgetting he paid twice as much !!! hes a n0b anyway, lol.

FOR THE MONEY, i think this has been a great trip and I am not worried about the curtains or that the host does drop a knife at every serving, ha ha.

Not worried about another trip we have booked with AE in Les Gets next month - cant wait !!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Libertine, That's good to hear. I'm away in a weeks time so will report back after then.

snowHead
snow report
that said, delayed again at GVR, 8.5 hr delay,......... 7 hours to go Crying or Very sad Embarassed Crying or Very sad

Not sure I can hold AE to blame for that though
ski holidays
Libertine wrote:
that said, delayed again at GVR, 8.5 hr delay,......... 7 hours to go Crying or Very sad Embarassed Crying or Very sad

Not sure I can hold AE to blame for that though

Lots of flight delays from gatwick today. Anybody know what the problem is/was Puzzled
snow report
Libertine, That flight was delayed by about the same last week, bit worrying for me as I only have 2.5 hrs. to catch the shuttle back to Glasgow on my flight back in 2 weeks time.

Make sure you get meal vouchers for the delay, you are due them wink

Gatwick departures has your incoming flight not leaving Gatwick until 1850 hrs. GMT.

snowHead

Edit: added last sentence.
snow conditions
we areaway with them in two weeks time too.... if it happens again....grrrrrrrr.

13hrs in in the end... Monarch had better cough up !! 250€ apparantly... cant see it though
snow report
big group going to Neve at end of feb. i'm trying to get my friend to take the last room with me. Glad to hear things have improved over the years and that actually the companies have taken notice of places like snowHead and respond with fixing stuff too. so it seems that we're helping everyone Cool
Val and Tignes are known for giving bugs, they say don't drink the water though touch wood I've never had a trouble, Val d'Belly they call it i think?

I went with skibeat last yr and there was loads of bad press with the January snow week, cant always plan for the weather! Had a great time in La Plagne with skibeat though our hosts were a bit weird, 4 different couples got on great. it was a bit of a weird mix though i must say!

Libertine, make sure you chase that up as they make it annoying to claim so ppl give up and make sure u do it straight away otherwise u'll forget! you got get u $$$$ maybe a new set of planks or at least help towards them!
ski holidays
Alpine Elements Chalet Lavachey at Tignes le Lac is great, good food - inc cooked breakfast, hot water bath and showers, fantastic position ski to from the door. All booking and holiday well organsied and will be booking AE again.
snow report
xanderajma, Don't compare the two EK resorts as far as water is concerned. Tignes has a highly modern system (assessed by a skiing buddy who was a big cog in water production). Ive been drinking the water in vast quantities for years with no snags - Val does have a reputation - perhaps someone who lives there would like to comment.
Most of the bugs that run round resorts are norovirus (which I have had) - its nasty and highly contagious and spreads like wildfire in areas with lots of people in tight spaces.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy