Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt- May Bank Holiday with kids- any suggestions

Poster: A snowHead
Dear snowheads.

We'd like to go to Zermatt for a long bank holiday start of May.

Me, Mrs Ed and Eds junior 8,5 and 1.

Plan is sleazy jet and swiss rail transfer.

Skiing- Mr&Mrs ed and 8 and 5 ski together.

But any suggestiosn for child friendly hotel/guesthouse - near Klein Matterhorn lifts and crech/childcare for baby- at a not astronomic price?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was in Zermatt last May and it was excellent. Sorry I can't help with your request Wink

Here is a photo from last time to get you excited.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Holiday Hotel Zermatt was a good 3 star. My room was spacious, had a matterhorn view (but its hard to miss around there), balcony, good tv for the kids, decent breakfast (eat out for dinner) was a short walk to the furni and skiset, and best of all was relatively cheap for Zermatt. We arrived before check in and they gave us the room early when we only wanted to change and come back and check in later. I have been meaning to write a positive trip advisor review about the place but have been short on time.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 9-04-10 22:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i forgot to say, we trawled a few restaurants while there and right at the end of town (past the museum at the top of the road that runs up outside the station, i am terrible at remembering names) was a cheap ish dutch owned cafe/restaurant that did a very decent (and cost effective for Zermatt) fondu and meat selection. you will spot it on this description believe it or not as it looks a bit more shabby and low rent than some of the other places nearby.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why oh why go to Zermatt if cost is a consideration?!!! rolling eyes Why not base yourself in Cervinia (where prices are half those in Zermatt) and ski over to Zermatt for crap lift systems, queuing, crowded pistes and manic prices. wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mollerski, is Cervinia open in May? If so any suggestions?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ed123 wrote:

Yep. wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ed123, any suggestions? Go to Zermatt. The terrain in Cervinia is really dull unless you like dull runs, there are lots of those. Zermatt is a much nicer.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, Cervinia is open in May. Buy the 'international' pass and ski super exciting, ( I'm so up myself I only ski Switzerland) super packed cowdoo as often as you like. wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ed123, Trying to be a bit more objective I'd decide which terrain suits you best and stay that side to be honest. It's entirely possible for bad weather to shut the link for a fair bit of your stay (assuming that's the case in May still, I've only been in January and February). I'm with arv, in finding the motorway pistes in Cervinia pretty samey but then again I'm not sure how much of Zermatt is open that time of year. If you do go for Zermatt I agree that somewhere near the Kleine Matterhorn lift is the most convenient but can't recommend any hotels I'm afraid.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mollerski, just speaking from experience. If you like anything more difficult than a blue run then Cervinia will get boring a lot quicker than Zermatt (in terms of available terrain in May... have you been in May?). Cervinia is probably ideal for a low-end Intermediate as the terrain is very flattering, some of the blues aren't blues by a long shot, but I accept I don't fall in to this category so it may be better for others. Where in Zermatt did you stay to lead you to think it was necessarily expensive?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
arv, I agree, Cervinia isn't particularly challenging. However, Zermatt is particularly expensive. The smart choice therefore, would be to base oneself in Cervinia and ski Zermatt. wink

Beware of patronization arv, It's an easy hole to fall into. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mollerski, I didn't fall, I jumped. Besides, I asked you two perfectly reasonable questions which you failed to answer (not that you need to qualify your opinions to anyone, especially not me).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
arv wrote:
Mollerski, I didn't fall, I jumped. Besides, I asked you two perfectly reasonable questions which you failed to answer (not that you need to qualify your opinions to anyone, especially not me).

Your 'leading' questions were so blunt it would take a bigger idiot than I to follow. wink
snow conditions
Bet you Cervinia doesn't even have a 'vertically challenged' piano playing man.
ski holidays
arv wrote:
Bet you Cervinia doesn't even have a 'vertically challenged' piano playing man.

I'm sure that you could be 'The Man' Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Mollerski, arv,

ed123, has a 5 year old, sure the terrain in Cervinia will be adequately challenging
snow report
Kel, sounds to me like you are making assumptions about the ability of the 5 year old Toofy Grin
snow report
Although I'm a fan of Zermatt I've never considered it to be a great place for inexperienced skiers. Too much travelling in town and up the mountain to get to the easier runs.
snow report
Still wondering about the questions in the origional post. A place to stay in Zermatt near KM lift with childcare or details of creche near same.
snow report
ed123, AFAIK the only resort creche is one called Kinderparadies and it is on the main street near the station, so it is not very convenient for KM lift at all. Having said that it does have a good reputation and last summer when I was in Saas Fee one of the other families in the hotel went over to Zermatt for the day and went to check out the creche with a view to using it for their kids this season, they were very impressed with it. I can recommend a good, reasonably priced place to stay which is quite near the creche, it is the Alpenstern http://www.alpenstern.ch/ you can choose hotel rooms or apartments, friendly, family run place.

Other than that there are a few hotels with creches like the Schweizerhof and Nicoletta but they are not cheap.

Another possibility might be one of the big tour ops who might have a private nanny option, crystal maybe? Or try the tourist office for a list of babysitters?

Best of luck with it.

If it really doesn't work out what about Les Deux Alpes and giving alexchapman on here a shout, she runs a childcare business there.
ski holidays
sarah, Les Deux Alpes closes before then I believe.
ski holidays
Colin B, oops Embarassed just assumed it would still be open! Thanks.
ski holidays
Hotel Antares is near the KM lift and meant to be reasonable.. your best bet is to have a look atthe zermat site, as I'm sure there will be a few deals to try, usually 4 nights accomodation and lift passes etc.. linky
latest report
sarah, thanks
for the helpful advice

ed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy