Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My upper body rotation

Poster: A snowHead
Hey all,

I had felt I was learning pretty quickly, but although I ski parallel on reds happily enough, I'm told that I tend to lean forward and use my upper body to muscle the skis around, ie instead of my body facing down the slope all the time my body moves with my skis.

Is anybody able to describe how to overcome this or what exactly I should be doing?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think lessons with a good instructor would probably be the best advice. It's really not as simple as "body facing down the slope all the time".
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ski more, read more, drink more, dance
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Andythejock, you sound exactly like someone I ski with. He's fast and fearless and tackles red and black runs with relative ease. But his style (or lack of it) is something else! His whole body turns when he does and his downhill leg is always straight and rigid. We were trying to offer him some guidance, to no avail, but since none of us are instructors that's hardly surprising.

There are lots of instructors here who will be able to advise you but I would think actually taking lessons and then practising what you are being taught will be the only way to eradicate bad habits.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 1-04-10 21:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Search on this forum under 'counter', there is a lot of really good material that you don't want to miss, and that would be very difficult to rewrite from scratch.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Is anybody able to describe how to overcome this or what exactly I should be doing?

take some good lessons - loads of instructors recommendable by Snowheads, or who are Snowheads. Your body is not really supposed to be "facing down the slope all the time" so if you are aiming at that (except in some specific circumstances) you probably have the wrong sort of picture in your head.

Some excellent tuition (and, so they keep telling us, snow wink ) available in the Caingorms.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queen bodecia wrote:
But his style (or lack of it) is something else

tyle really shouldn't come in to it. It is skiing effectiveness that is important, not stylistic movements that people may or may not make.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you don't want to take lessons for some reason, you could do worse than invest in some of Rick Schnellman's DVDs. see http://www.yourskicoach.com/YourSkiCoach/Your_Ski_Coach_Home.html

they are really excellent for working on your own, with lots of step by step exercises. But you do need to begin at the beginning and work our way through them, as one stage builds upon the last.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, agreed but I'm not convinced the stiff wooden style is all that effective either. Maybe I chose the wrong word, it's not just a lack of style, he's a bit erratic too. But of course, he thinks he's amazing bless him! Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia, sounds like he has bad technique rather than a lack of style.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, I knew there was a word for it, lol! Laughing

You would probably have a field day with him. But I think you'll probably have a field day with me too! Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queen bodecia, never too late to learn good habits. I'm living proof...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There are a lot of things you can do but it helps to have a good lesson (or several) as its easy to think you are doing it right when your not. I found video analysis very useful for this as I really didnt believe how bad it was until i saw for myself. Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RPF, hey Ross, just been talking about you (ask CSki). Have a good day tomorrow.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi all - quite a response!

Yes, bad technique!(yes, bodecia, I'm probably like your pal in terms of chucking myself down hills, although I know my technique's not great!) My experienced pal taught me snowplough and I had a couple of lessons at Hillend then one at Cairngorm a couple of months ago with a delightful older chap called Mike, which got me to parallel.

So, if you're not simply supposed to have your body pointing down the hill all the time, what are you supposed to do? I was told this at hillend by a another pal who is an instructor (not working at the time). Also, anybody spotted any free videos on line? Another friend has suggested videoing me, which sounds like a plan.
snow report
Andythejock wrote:
So, if you're not simply supposed to have your body pointing down the hill all the time, what are you supposed to do? I was told this at hillend by a another pal who is an instructor

It varies depending on the size and shape turn you are making. Your mate was either simplifying the concept past the point of being correct or didn't know what he was talking about.

Video is a good idea so at least you have a reasonably idea of what you are actually doing. Not sure about online resources but that's always going to be a poor second best to having a good instructor working with you.
snow conditions
Andythejock, have a look at this thread, might help with instructional videos!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=747593&highlight=video#747593
ski holidays
Andythejock, here's a free video from Warren Smith with an exercise on controlling body rotation: http://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/online-tips/online-tips_Carving_Controlling-Body-Rotation.htm
snow report
your mate might have started skiing - like I did - many years ago in Austria when that very exaggerated "face ze walley" position was taught. Various ski instructors more recently have worked hard to try to stop me doing that over-countered sort of style.

Also - not to be rude - but some dry slope instructors only have fairly lowly levels of qualification. I've been fortunate in recent years to have lessons with some extremely good ones - including rob@rar who has given you advice above - but it does take ages to eradicate bad habits picked up over the years. Much better not to pick them up in the first place!
snow report
Andythejock, There are some free videos on www.yourskicoach.com and they also have some stuff on UTube. Not necessarily what you're looking for but Fastman is very clear in spite of being American. wink wink Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Hey Rob, Pam, horizon, queenie, easyski - thanks for all the responses. Much appeciated.

Will have a look at the videos and get lessons - unfortunately they'll be on the dry slope as I don't see myself getting the chance to ski oop north this year again unless there's still snow late April!
ski holidays
Andythejock, well all the Snowheads who know about Cairngorm seem to think there'll be snow up there intoMay, so you never know! If you get the chance, ask on here about a good instructor to use.
snow report
cheers Pam.

Studying till April 20th exam (economics and accounts -dull!). I do know of a good intructor - Mike. don't know if you can select one if you're in a class?
snow report
rob@rar, Laughing extreme braquage required.
latest report
RPF, I have just the drill for you!
ski holidays
rob@rar, Can I have it now or do I have to wait until May? Madeye-Smiley
latest report
think turning with your lower body (ie turning hip in socket) rather than worrying about where your upper body is facing. You're worrying about the tactic, not the outcome right now - but yeah, take a lesson.
snow conditions
Yup, another pal of mine, skiing for 20 yrs, said I should be moving my knees n hips more as I turn.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

unless there's still snow late April!

My guess is that you will be back skiing at the end of April Smile
latest report
RPF wrote:
rob@rar, Can I have it now or do I have to wait until May? Madeye-Smiley

Picture frame drill, or ski without poles and spot something down the hill/other side of the valley and point at it as if you were holding a pistol with two hands. Make turns of different size radius while keeping the picture frame steady/pointing 'the gun' at your fixed point. It will force you to use more separation and to keep upper body stable. Do this until you can picture frame/point the gun with great precision regardless of the turn shape you are making. You'll then have a much greater range of separation movement and will have much better control of how you use that movement.
snow report
Where should the poles be as you turn using the picture frame drill?
snow report
The poles form the sides of the picture frame. You hold this "frame" facing downhill.

There are more drills to try and stabilise the upper body, hard to explain in words, only 2 seconds visibly Wink
latest report
Put you arms out straight with your ski poles resting on the back of wrists, the centre of poles should face down the hill 95% of the time
snow conditions
Andythejock, You should stop listening to your friends who've been skiing for a while. they are not trained, are probably regurgitating techniques they misunderstood 20 years ago and which are not longer relevant. A number of snowheads are proposing to go to Cairngorm on May bank holiday weekend (assuming snow), there's a thread on the Snow Events forum about it. At least one is a snowhead who regularly teaches up there and is certainly up to date. Pity you didn't get Mike's surname. You are trying to run before you can walk I think.
snow conditions
If he doesn't have Mike's username, i'm sure a call to the Cairngorm skischool will fix the problem real quick Wink

Andythejock, I have a bit of experience relearning to ski without too much upper body rotation/movement (i'm not totally there yet!)

This is the kind of thing you need feedback on from someone who knows what he/she is talking about; In my experience its very near impossible to feel correctly wether or not your body is still doing a thing during or after a bunch of aforementioned drills...

So my advice is some lessons for sure, and it will be rewarding too, as it will give you more control and an easier time on the gnarly stuff Wink
latest report
I must say that the last couple of times I've skiied I've been tempted by "the need for speed" and taking on the next slope I haven't yet done - it's fun skiing with friends even if they can get down the slope in half the time!

Will certainly get lessons when I can. Shame we are coming to the end of the season. Any reason why this sort of thing couldn't be resolved at Hillend? Otherwise it will be on my first ski holiday abroad France next yr, at least a dozen of us, 3 very experienced skiiers and the rest more like me. Is instruction on the resorts in the French Alps pretty reliable?

Mike at Cairngorm was late 50's, I'm sure Cairngorm Ski School could trace him as you say. However don't know whether you can choose an instructor unless you pay for individual lessons? Looks a bit like they decide who does what about 5 mins before they get on the tow! Smile
snow report
Andythejock wrote:
Any reason why this sort of thing couldn't be resolved at Hillend?
No, with a decent instructor you can learn fundamental skills to a high level on plastic/indoor slopes.

Andythejock wrote:
Is instruction on the resorts in the French Alps pretty reliable?

You can get good or bad instructors in any large ski school. Taking group lessons can be luck of the draw, but you can improve your chances of getting a good instructor by choosing a ski school with a strong reputation. When you know what resort you plan to visit next season post here and ask for recommendations.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 5-04-10 15:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Cheers Rob.
snow conditions
Andythejock, If you are twisting your upper body (hips or shoulders or both) you are transferring your body weight on the ski into the turn. That's the main problem. Then it's impossible to keep balance on your downhill ski, impossible to carve, very hard to ski off piste and moguls.
Ski again on gentle slopes, be concentrate on your feet pivoting, put your hands on your outside hip before starting to turn, lots of drills could help you.
The most important is drive my skis with my feet and only with your feet. Best wishes
latest report
snowarea wrote:
Andythejock, If you are twisting your upper body (hips or shoulders or both) you are transferring your body weight on the ski into the turn. That's the main problem. Then it's impossible to keep balance on your downhill ski, impossible to carve, very hard to ski off piste and moguls.
Ski again on gentle slopes, be concentrate on your feet pivoting, put your hands on your outside hip before starting to turn, lots of drills could help you.
The most important is drive my skis with my feet and only with your feet. Best wishes

Merci mon ami!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy