Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heliskiing in Canada

Poster: A snowHead
I've just been on the phone to this firm www.rkheliski.com in Panorama in Canada and they assure me that it's ok to heli ski with up to eleven people. With only the guides and only one paying person having a Shoval and a probe. I on a personal level find this amazing. Any comments Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Its a tourist day skier operation - I wouldn't be surprised if they do control work on the terrain they ski or ski it so often that its pretty skier compacted plus it'll be low angle. Probably experience tells them that briefly training day skiers in search protocols and probe/digging is of negligible value. Seems to be guides who would be most impacted by the policy so you have to assume they are happy with it.

Not a great example though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
11 people in a group would be like herding cats.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well I guess that person will be skiing near the back, then the tail gunner will be behind them with the lead guide in a safe spot before anyone comes down riskier terrain likely well spread out, so there is a very good chance there will be one unburied shovel most likely 2. You don't need everyone digging at the same time so would think it would be okay.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've skied with RK but haven't skied with any other companies so can only comment from that side.

One guide at the front; one guide at the back. One spare avalanche rescue pack carried by person at the back.

The helicopter which is near by carries more spare kit in terms of shovels I think. I would expect their response to be that in the event of an avalanche they would get the helicopter on scene and supplying extra shovels fast enough given that you should only have one or two people actually searching initially. They would plan on that being the guide. They cover basic beacon use before you start the day; to be proficient enough to make a difference takes more training then a day skier will want to spend. Even the hour they make you do is cold at -20C in the car parks.

The main issue is indeed around herding cats but they do seem to have a system that works.

As I said I can't compare with other operations but would be surprised if any helicopter operator makes everyone carry packs. The space in the helicopter just isn't there; cat skiing might be different.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd never go in a group that large. Apart from herding cats/tourists, if your going to spend a lot of money on Heli skiing you need to be 100% sure that the level of all the skiers in the group is all the same otherwise your be hanging around waiting for the stragglers

Max I do is 3 + 1 guide.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skid & slide, You did not specify how many guides with the eleven customers. If, as assumed by stuarth, there are two guides plus extra equipment in the aircraft it should just about cover it. The Bell 212 aircraft they are using can be configured to carry 14 passengers so eleven customers and up to three guides. The guide/customer ratio of about 5/1 is as high as you would usually want to go. Eleven to two guides should be managable especiallly if they are on well known terrain.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Excellent, professional company operating in a truly spectacular setting.

Great introduction to heliskiing, but if you've been before you may be disappointed.

You ski on mellow terrain looking at the more difficult stuff. And you farm the snow. Which for those who haven't done it means making lines side by side each other in order to preserve the powder for the next group.

If you're looking for more challenge, then my advice would be to ski Kicking Horse for 3-5 days, then move on to Revelstoke. Ski the resort for the majority of the days you have left and throw in some cat or heliskiing straight from the resort.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank's all. I was a bit shocked that not all skier's have a shovel and a probe, as I thought it was normal when skiing off piste for all to be able to locate and dig out any victims.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's about limited space in the chopper.

RK and others have done the due dilligence, and determined that the operation they run will be able to respond to any emergency quickly.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike Pow, So does that mean that money comes before safety? Are these people cramming in more people than is safe for the Helicopter they are using? Would it be better for safety for all to have averlanche gear and one less person in the Helicopter?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skid & slide, Have skied with RK chopper and extra guides is never more than 5 minutes away and the terrain for the most part is not AVI pron.

Great Operation and quite cheap per drop

Having said that the day we where out myself and the giude stopped on a lip only to feel the snow layers slide below us nedless to say we moved on quickly.

As above Kicking horse is Heli skiing without the Bird. 2 of the bowls where actually once used by RK or CMH as part of their Heli operations Much cheaper way to access similar vertical and terrain
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fornerly Purcell heliski terrain.

Another good day outfit.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skid & slide wrote:
Mike Pow, So does that mean that money comes before safety? Are these people cramming in more people than is safe for the Helicopter they are using? Would it be better for safety for all to have averlanche gear and one less person in the Helicopter?

Not in my opinion.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skid & slide, You would be astonished (and feel much happier) if you'd seen the efforts that the Canadians put into avoiding avalanches in the first place. An astonishing amount of data is analysed daily on current conditions, where slides (usually self triggered) have occurred, what the snow pack is like, what the weather has done, etc. 5.30am guides meeting to plan where to ski and continuous communication between the guiding team throughout the day.
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
skid & slide wrote:

Not in my opinion.

Agreed but none the less its still a business.
latest report
If you look around the world at heli ski operations you will find that most will not give shovels to their customers. Not just a matter of seats in the helicopter but you would also need a suitable pack for every one. And it is more stuff for them to wee wee about with and hit themselves on the head with. As under a new name, says good operators put a lot of effort in to avalanche avoidance and this it not just a Canadian situation. This is not like a group of friends going off piste but a managed professional business that has worked out their procedures over many years.
snow conditions
RK is a great operation - but every operation is different. The cat ski operations in the Kootenays (near Red Mountain Rossland and Nelson) operate with a minimum of 2 guest packs for each group - as well as have a tail guide as well as a lead guide for a group of 12.
latest report
Went to Crescent Spur in March and was very impressed - www.crescentspurheliski.com
Only 2 groups of 10 with 2 guides per group and everyone was provided with transceiver, shovel and probe with excellent instruction and practice in searching. Highly recommended.
Last time I heliskied with CMH there were 4 safety packs in a group of 11 and only one lead guide.
latest report
Just did a CMH trip this year. ALL skiers/boarders carry a pack now with a shovel and probe and in addition there 2 extra safety packs plus what the guide carries. the safety packs carries radios and extra safety equipment. We would rotate all day who would carry these.
snow conditions
Just joined snowheads and found this thread.

I'm familiar with a few of the Canadian Heli ops although only had the pleasure of using Whistler Heli Ski.

Has anyone on here used Mike Wiegele? It's on my list of one of those things I must do one day, just so expensive!!.

I was under the impression that some operations these days are also using ABS back packs as a matter of course?..
snow report
Tarry, Never been to Mike Wiegele - too big an operation for me. Come to Crescent Spur - a few spaces still left.
ski holidays
Thanks for the heads up.
latest report

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 11-12-10 23:36; edited 2 times in total
snow report
I Heli skied in Canada once with TLH, based at Stewart (almost on the Alaskan border at the head of a fijord). It was supposed to be a bit steeper than the other Canadian areas, though not so steep as proper Alaskan skiing. However also much fewer lost days than Alaska (which has average half the days lost!!!!) which is a factor if you can only afford to try it once.

We had 2 groups - 5 plus a guide in each - using one helicopter. While one group skied the other were met and moved to the top again. Really it should probably have been 3 groups for maximum efficiency.We all had shovel and probe and we certainly didn't farm (especially through the trees of course, which was more than half of it). I think I remember they said we had half a million acres to ourselves. We did have a sort of buddy system, though, because of possible tree-holes.

I think perhaps they only did it the one season there, or perhaps two - it was the first season it had been used anyway. some of the runs we did had never been skied before so we got to name them. On one descent one of our group lost a ski which shot off down a gully into trees where we didn't want to go, so the guide swapped ski(s) with him and skied down the rest of the route on one ski. And we STILL couldn't keep up with him.
That route we named "One Ski"

Unfortunately, though there was plenty of snow, they had had lots of wind and everything above the tree line was breakable crust, except one gully on a sheltered lee slope. They claimed it was the worst snow conditions they had had. Great powder among the trees, though. However we couldn't get them to drop us at the tree line - it would have put all their calculations of time and fuel use off.

You can see how bad the wind had been.

-the one run with fairly good snow above the trees

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 12-12-10 7:04; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Back in the 80's it was 3-4 skiers with 1 guide .

Now its 10+

Heli skiing has sold out to Mass Markets

The ONE rule you must apply is find out the level of your partners .

One or Two who cant ski Powder will be a waste of money & RUIN you day !
latest report
Not only did you have to be able to ski powder on our holiday but you had to be able to ski breakable crust at a fair speed. I think our group were better than the other. (Other than my friend and me we were 3 French men, two of whom had been instructors.)
snow report
BIAS ALERT: I work for a heli-skiing company.

Ski & slide - My very first experience with heli-skiing was with RK. If you are looking for a single day trip and you are an average intermediate, RK and Purcell heli-skiing would be perfect options. Both companies follow stringent safety practices and offer a great introduction to heliskiing.

If you want the stereotypical heli-skiing experience, you might want to consider a multi-day operation. All but one Canadian day skiing operation and several multi-day operations ski in large groups of 10-12....that's the size of a soccer team. They often have 3 or even 4 groups operating out of 1 helicopter (ie 30-48 people per heli)! The company I work for only has 4 people plus guide per group!

This is the best format in the industry, hands down. There's lots of reasons...less re-grouping, easier to sort out splits in ability, quicker in/out of the heli etc etc, but your concern was about people carrying packs. At our operation, the guide, obviously, has a pack and we insist at least 1 guest carries a pack (and skis tailgun)..which usually gets rotated between the 4 guests over the course of our 10-16 runs per day. What this means is that at the very least, the person next to you will have a probe+shovel. You can always choose to carry a pack too.

Above Mike Pow and Fattes13 mentioned Kicking Horse. We are very close to KH and have teamed up with them to offer combo packages: any number of days resort skiing getting your legs back, then however long heli-skiing with us. It's a pretty sweet trip.

If anyone has any questions, please PM me.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy