Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3Valley black runs

Poster: A snowHead
I always end up steering our group when we go skiing and it would be helpful to know which are some of the easier blacks and which are some of the more tricky ones.

For instance, I seem to remember that "marielle" (coming back to Val T from Meribel) is very straightforward.

How would people rate some of the others?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Grand Couloir - tough
Jockeys to Le Praz, lovely!
dou des lanches Short black under La Tania chair great for a quick blast!
M off Vizelle is nice, can take a tougher route down combe pylones if you wish
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, thanks, that's helpful. I see that combe pylones is shown as red on the piste map - do you think it tougher than m?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ray Zorro, no, Combe Pylones is black, though when I skied it the other week, it was easier (more bashed) than M. I'm not a gnarly skier and I love Suisse - easier than some of the reds eg Mauduit. Both Jockeys and Jean Blanc down to Le Praz are gorgeous, though the snow cover might be iffy at the bottom by now.

I reckon that Marielle Goitschel thing down to VT, which is short and extremely straightforward, has only been designated black to keep the crowds off it.

If the snow is good, the Combe de Rosael down from Cime de Caron towards Orelle is gorgeous. I've also enjoyed Face in Meribel (but not on a warm day) and Lac Noir on La Masse.

skimottaret's website is a mine of useful information about standards of runs in the 3V.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
he the snow is decent the Combe de Caron is brilliant.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Agree with Hurtle, Goitschel, was our first ever black and was easier than most of the reds in VT Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle, ah, interesting, but you (and Greg) are right. My map is a couple of years old and Combe Pylones is shown red on that one, but on this year's it is black. Must be a marginal one then.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ray Zorro,

Easier:

Chanrossa, Courchevel
Bartavelle, Meribel
Ecureuil, Meribel
Face, Meribel
Masse, Les Menuires

More Difficult:

Suisses, Courchevel
Bosses, Meribel
Grand Couloir, Courchevel
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I guess the other thing is M can be bashed and lovely at the top and have large moguls about halfway down, all depending on the time of the day and how soft the snow is!

The map here lists them as black, your probably seeing combe saulire as the red, which I'd personally avoid as it funnels lots of folk down it! BTW another tip you can get over onto M from the top of the Saulire lift if you get some speed up on the track...

http://www.courchevel.com/editorial.php?Rub=267
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:

The map here lists them as black, your probably seeing combe saulire as the red, which I'd personally avoid as it funnels lots of folk down it!

Although if you can get to it first thing in the morning after it's been groomed, and is still empty, it can be one of the best runs in the 3V
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ray Zorro, dont forget the snowhead challenge for the fastest group descent of the red Campagnol run off Mont Vallon Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Patch, yeh as is Folyeres (sp) down to La tania if you can time it when it's been groomed, and if spring, has softened ever so slightly!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing Laughing I guess the new snow will have covered over the bloodstains from your visit!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I do fancy trying the runs to La Tania or La Praz as I haven't been there before - but are they reachable from Val T?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ray Zorro, It's the three vallees, everything is reachable from everywhere Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, yes easily. Do take them to 1650 and do the superb reds, Rochers and Chapelet.
snow report
here you go .... http://www.pleva.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/3valleysblackruns.pdf
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

the superb reds, Rochers and Chapelet.
I love those! Especially good to do on a hot afternoon, when many other places have turned to mush.

skimottaret, I'd already advertised you!
snow conditions
skimottaret, thanks - already printed that (plus another file) after Hurtle's recommendation.
latest report
I force myself to do blacks as I really don't like what I think are steep slopes, but Suisses in Courchevel was lovely. The snow conditions were great in Jan and we went down it quite a few times! On one of the times (with Inspired to Ski) we had to try to pick the hardest line and go fast - wheeee! Non-stop from top to bottom snowHead snowHead Also Combe de Pylons was good, but it did have a foot of fresh snow on, lovely Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
cathy, suisses has already been mentioned as one of the tougher one Confused I remember going down marmottes first and missing out the bumps and just doing the bottom half and that made it dead easy - but I am assuming you are talking about the bumps as well? So you thought it easy(ish) Confused

Frosty the Snowman, thanks - shall give them a go Very Happy . I stayed in 1650 on my second ski trip (and didn't manage to venture too far) so it will be interesting to see if I recognise them at all.
snow report
Ray Zorro, there were no bumps when I went down! Madeye-Smiley With no bumps it's a really nice run.
ski holidays
Another vote for Suisses from me - though it is mogulled at the moment the bumps weren't too gnarly. M was also in great nick last week.
latest report
suissses is an easy gradient but gets a lot of traffic and gets icy quickly... like all the blacks mentioned it is really dependent on conditions. bosses for instance was quite tame the other week..
ski holidays
The reason Suisses gets so much traffic is that it is easy. Lots of moguls but as the gradient is red then it is skiable in all conditions.
Ray Zorro, If you see a mobile buried near M it is Shimmys from last year. Shocked
snow conditions
Suisses was relatively easy a couple of weeks ago when it had just been bashed. Dou des Lanches was a lovely short one as well.

Turcs looked more commonly mogulled.

Sanglier (Meribel), OH said wasn't great, although largely due to snow conditions - lumps of ice!

Tetras (Meribel from Courchevel) sounds like it gets very icy.

Ecureil was nice as was Grand Rosiere (also Meribel).

Didn't manage to get to the blacks in VT.

The hardest piste I did was Combe Saulire, as it is the most obvious way back from Meribel to Courchevel unless you download by lift. At 4.30 it's usually pretty bumpy (but soft as it's bashed every day), busy, and faces the wrong way so the light was pretty flat every time I did it. Does make bumps more entertaining you hit them with no idea how large they are!
snow report
Quote:

Marielle Goitschel thing down to VT, which is short and extremely straightforward, has only been designated black to keep the crowds off it.

is that before or after Frosty's Removal Services have installed the fridge-freezer sized moguls on the top bit

(IIRC there are two alternative routes at the top of Goitschel, one without moguls and one with?)
latest report
Yoda, didn't spot any moguls at all the other week. But it's very true that all these comments are dependent on conditions at the time. Also, I am notoriously unobservant. Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Randomsabreur, absolutely agree about Combe de Saulire. Shocked
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
Yoda, didn't spot any moguls at all the other week. But it's very true that all these comments are dependent on conditions at the time. Also, I am notoriously unobservant. Embarassed

Absolutely agree that (my comments at least) are dependant on conditions, and in particular, degree of mogulling. My catagorisation above was based on my perception of "typical" mogul conditions on these runs (based on 50-60 days a season in the 3V)
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
I reckon that Marielle Goitschel thing down to VT, which is short and extremely straightforward, has only been designated black to keep the crowds off it.

Try doing the whole run - it starts from the top of 3 Valleys 2, and between there and the crossing point (from Bouquetin/Les Menuires/Mottaret) are some HUGE moguls. Well, there were the year I tried it. About a metre between trough and peak, I'd say...

Of course, piste conditions vary... Toofy Grin

From there on, yes, it's just a dark red, and not that dark either. Maybe the graders wanted to be sure that people didn't ignore Pluviometre - one of the loveliest runs in VT IMHO.
snow conditions
OK so I didn't spot what Yoda wrote earlier. Hurtle pass me an application for the Unobservant Club please Embarassed
ski holidays
TallTone, Laughing But you're just an amateur - I didn't realise, until you just pointed it out, that the run started higher up than the crossing point. rolling eyes Embarassed Ho hum. Let's hope Ray Zorro reads this thread with some care and, in particular, that he ignores all my posts, not least because I quite like moguls, so unless they're car-sized and icy, they don't render a piste particularly scary in my eyes. The thing that really freaks me out is when a piste is very narrow.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy