Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot warmers dryers, etc.

Poster: A snowHead
I've always suffered a bit from cold in my hands and feet. But I don't remember it being too big a problem in my early years of skiing. Maybe it's getting worse or I'm getting older but even after getting new boots last year and putting them on with toasty feet didn't do the trick. So I've decided I am going to have explore the electrical warmth angle. Looking at the Ellis Brigham website http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psShowCategory.cgi?brand=Therm-ic the first thing I notice is that they have boot warmers and boot dryers. What is the difference? Do people actually have both? The second thing I see is there are these things called Powerpack's. These seen to be external chunky rechargeable batteries. Is that about right?

Maybe the best way of approaching this is to describe what I need. My main concern is to have my boots warm to put on and warm through the day. Sometimes I find that if my feet are toasty when I put the boots on then they may be comfortable for an hour or two but if it's a cold day by lunch they are cold again. I am figuring that if I get the boots toasty aswell then this will help. Usually I try to keep the boots in the apartment at room temp but sometimes they may be left in a car or boot room. I don't know what battery power options there are and what works best.

Can anybody enlighten me as to what I should look to do, what has worked in your experience?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have used one of these for several years, it dries my boots overnight and leaves them just warm in the morning. Not sure whether mine is exactly this model, but it looks very similar.
http://www.beansonline.co.uk/acatalog/details/DRY0401.htm?popup

A quick Google (I looked for "ski boot warmers") shows lots of things, these two being near the top:
http://skiing.about.com/od/skiboots/ss/bootheaters_2.htm
http://skiing.about.com/od/skiboots/ss/skibootdryer.htm

Some people have an electric element in their boots and then have a battery pack that must be carried all the time. Some battery packs attach to the boots. These should keep feet warmer whilst skiing. I have heard a tale of an element going faulty and developing a hotspot that "cooked" part of someone's foot leading to all sorts of foot problems.

For keeping boots warm when skiing a "boot glove" is good. I have skied with people who use them and even keep them in their off-piste rucksack, just in case.
http://cozywinters.com/shop/bga.html
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My wife skis with the thermicpower packs, and swears by them. You have to be a bit carefully that the don't get knocked by the lifts, and the controls tend to get moved by accident ( try some gaffa tape) and you have to remember to charge them. She is a happy skiier with them, and I am sure we have saved the cost of them in less drink stops.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ringingmaster, thermic make a battery holder which goes on the powerstrap of the boot which means you can hang the batteryround the outside edge of the boot to avoid chairlift damage, it sits high enough that you can also operate all the clips without the battery getting in the way
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd suggest making sure you have clean, skinny warm socks everyday & that your boot liners are properly dried out before worrying about investing in boot warmers & the like.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The boot heaters by Thermic don't keep yur feet "toasty" during the day, although they do a good job of stopping them from getting frozen cold. If you want toasty warm feet during the day I think slippers and a roaring log fire are probably the best option.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We have boot dryers on the wall in our chalet and two of these nicely dry out 8 pairs of boots on return, and we bung them on first thing in the morning so that boots slide on really easily - OH also has some warmers that plug into the back of the car so if we drive somewhere his boots are ok on arrival. I stick mine on before we leave. Of course clean socks - can't imagine skiing in anything other than clean socks!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agree with rob@rar,

I have hotronics and their purpose isn't to keep your feet warm which could cause expansion, sweating and problems with boot fit. Thier purpose is to prevent your feet from getting cold which is slightly different.

However, I did have a faulty pack which heated the elements even thoughthe battery was supposedly off, and I got a burn. It sounds ridiculous, getting a burn? surely I would have felt it, but a burn feels almost like cold and then once its burned it dulls your nerves so you can't feel it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use a Thermic boot dryer (which is basically a low powered hair dryer) to dry my boot liners after skiing and to warm them first thing in the morning. I think these are a great investment. They can dry a sweaty pair of boots in an hour or so and keep them pong free for life. I don't bother with any of the onboard warming kits.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I asked a similar queastion and Smallzookeeper suggested a thermal boot liner http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1478241&highlight=hotronics#1478241 . I'm going to wait until next season now, but with definite issues with volume in my boots it may be the way to go.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Layne, somebody who suffers from cold feet should never, never, leave boots in a car overnight, or an unheated boot room. Sounds like you need both boot dryers/warmers (so you start with warm boots in the morning) AND thermic or similar electric heaters. Yes, you need a battery pack - where else would the motive power come from? I use them on cold days and as others have said, they stop your feet getting frozen. They don't really make them warm - if you are skiing all day you need to leave them on a fairly low setting. They're expensive, but worth having if you suffer badly.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quite a few hotels I have visited have had the hairdryer on a flexible hose arrangement, just stick it in each boot for 20 minutes at the end of each day. With regards to keeping feet warm, little hotties toe warmers £14 for a box of 30 pairs at costco, does the job and my holiday wont be spoiled if some ignoramous pulls the bar down on the chair before I am ready.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kel, perhaps that is why the one in my apartment bathroom keeps blowing the electricity. Being kept on and ticked into a ski boot will cause it to overheat.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Kel, perhaps that is why the one in my apartment bathroom keeps blowing the electricity. Being kept on and ticked into a ski boot will cause it to overheat.

Perhaps, but more likely to burn the heating element out in the hairdryer than blow the mains trip. This would suggest that the wattage of the hairdryer and other combined items is too large for what is probably a small ampage fuse.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looking at Thermic boot dryer as OH has Birthday coming up. I guess I need 240v for Europe? - the 120v one is more expensive by about £10 and looks more substantial. How do folks find the 240v?

Currently use dryzones but would quite like to have a turbo-charged method to dry my (oops, his) boots Toofy Grin
latest report
Lou, I have the European one. I thought it was the same as the US apart from the voltage Puzzled
Anyway, I love it! Wouldn't be without it. And if you use it everyday with new boots, they never, ever smell! If you start using it with old ones though - different story.... spoo

Seriously, I'd pay twice the price for lovely warm, dry boots in the morning. It's brilliant.
snow conditions
maggi, thanks will order one based on your excellent review Very Happy In the picture (I think it was S&R) the European one looks like it was two separate 'prongs' whereas the US one was more like a fork/shared main lead.

His boots are only a couple of years old and haven't reached the skanky state mine have. I will also buy myself some new boots next season - it would be silly buying a warmer that didn't reach it's full potential Toofy Grin
snow report
Lou, this looks like the one I have, (and it's on special offer atm too!). I've also got the S&R catalogue here and on page 207 there's a pic of it (No 11). You can order either the 120V or the 230V version from there. They just have different order numbers. Mine is the 230V and I've used it in Europe and England (not USA) and it hasn't blown up yet! But I can't see this version on the website which is quite strange.
snow report
maggi, thanks for that. I'll give them a buzz tomorrow. Would you say that one dryer is enough between two pairs of boots? So could put one on as soon as come in, and the other pair late evening/overnight?
snow report
Had a thermic boot dryer and after a season it decided to pack in and break - wouldn't buy another but I guess if you just ski for a week or two it might be okay, heavier use though might be problematic (was using mine at least twice a week).
snow report
Lou, yes, one is enough for 2 pairs of boots if you do as you say.

roga, I use mine every day on holiday and I usually go, in total, 3 and a half weeks a year. Also use the day I come back and a few odd times during the year when I go to snowdomes. I guess you were unlucky (or maybe I was lucky?), who knows?
ski holidays
maggi, yeah I might have been unlucky but I was giving it very heavy use, certainly for more than 3/4 weeks a year.
ski holidays
I use my HEAD heated bootbag it's brilliant. 3 temperature settings for Warm - Dry - Hot, mains powered or 12v. Helmet stash on the front, section to dry gloves out too, fits the BA cabin baggage size. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy