Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PANASONIC Lumix DMC-TZ65 Digital Camera £149 at Currys

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just came across this on a bargain forum, top spec camera for skiing at a very good price!! 12x optical zoom!!

Seem to remember some discussion on decent skiing cameras so thought I'd pass this 'bargain' on, also at pcworld and dixons at the same price.

HTH!

Greg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My brother has the 8x zoom one and my dad has the slitghly older 12x. I'd go 8x everytime. The 12x is pretty chunky and when are you really ever going to use 12x zoom? Does this one have the HD movie option as well as that could be the reason for the lower price. Compact camera vid is pretty poor usually so the HD option could prove useful. Also, you're pretty limited with any manual settings but if you just want a point and shoot then you can't really go wrong as long as you can decide which auto setting to use. Settings such as baby 1 & 2 seem a little excessive.

EDIT: Having said that, they might have a slightly different version that looks pretty much identical so what I've said could be a load of rubbish
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No it doesn't have the HD video, but I have an HD camcorder, so for £100 saving over the TZ7 with HD this is the model for me!

Clicky Linky
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks kitenski, my OH has been looking at the Panasonic for a while - I nearly bought one a couple of years ago but went for a more compact Canon in the end - love the idea of a 12x zoom in a smaller case than our fujifilm chunky one.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Haven't clicked any links so maybe completely different beasts but the multi-award winning best seller Panasonic TZ7 with HD is available on Amazon for 218 and from camerabox from 210 + p&p. Then only need to carry one camera/camcorder around.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you're looking at the TZ7 you might as well make the jump to its successor, the TZ10, as it seems to tick all the appropriate boxes, especially on the HD video front. It will also let you zoom while you film, which most older compact cameras can't do.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2010/02/26/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-TZ10/p1

Unfortunately it costs about £250-£260.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, I know a few people who have other versions of the Lumix range, and the cameras look great. Nice to use, good build-quality, and the LCD screen on the back is excellent.

el nombre, "12x optical" is different from "8x optical with 12x digital", and the difference could be huge, depending on the starting focal length. If SD video quality on a camera is poor then HD won't improve it - you can't get more detail out of an already crammed and poor quality sensor.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No shlt, digital zoom isn't worth having on anything. Surely HD is going to make some difference though? Either there is a better quality sensor in there or there's something more to it. I can't imagine they've just written HD on the casing and charged more for it. It may not be a difference worth having but i'm sure it must be a slight improvement.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snobat, not sure the TZ10 is better value as not much of an improvement over the TZ7 which is now down to £196!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As ever, it depends what you're looking for. The new TZ8 offers aperture-priority, shutter-priority and manual modes (as well as automatic, of course) and HD video. The new TZ10 basically extends that with a bigger LCD screen, a different version of HD video and also GPS. So, if you would make use of these features, then the TZ8 or TZ10 are certainly worth considering.

I recently bought a TZ8 (may I plug Mathers of Lancashire, who offered it at an excellent price!) and have been very pleased with it so far. Though I haven't had the chance to use it on skis yet, it has coped well with bright sunshine, cloudy conditions and sunsets. So I would certainly recommend it as an option.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
or if you want something really special look at the Panasonic GF1 ! Read the Reviews
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I bought the T65 post reading this (having lost our previous camera skiing by dropping it in the cafe at the end of the day!!) - it fits the bill for us perfectly as don't want anything fancy as kids will use (abuse) it and is taking lovely snaps...and starts up quickly - really good family camera for the money
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bit of a hijack here.im looking at buying the Canon IXUS 130. Does anybody have one, good bad or just bang average?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've now had my TZ65 for a few months, it worked fine skiing, the only issues was on a *VERY* sunny day with the sun shining directly onto the viewfinder I could not see a thing!!!

The burst mode works well for action shots......

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dmac442, certainly does. For me lack of full-length HD clips on TZ8 would be a deal breaker as I think the big advantage of these great little cameras is high quality stills and video in one unit, but agree that having proper exposure controls make TZ10 at its current price a good buy if you'll use these. Otherwise the TZ7 is a bargain as it has the same size LCD as the TZ10, the same HD video and long zoom capabilities as the TZ10, lacking only the imo gimmicky GPS and inexorable but dubiously beneficial megapixel increase of the TZ10.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy