Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend stopover somewhere between Reims & Troyes ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Looks like I,m going to be driving to the Alps next Friday ( or possibly the Friday after..... haven't booked yet); was planning to cross the channel early afternoon & make around 250-300 odd miles south before stopping for the night around 8 pm; I was hoping some one could recommend a decent place for a night ( ideally nice but need to keep an eye on costs....family in tow ; 2 adults, 2 kids ) near the A26.
Thanks in advance
Mitch
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lots of good advice here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=28639#1459459
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mitchell, Hotel B&B Troyes, family room for 4.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mitchell, I am sure that the Val Moret is mentioned in the thread above, but it is so convenient and decent food and can really recommend. www.le-val-moret.com

We have tended to use the Premiere Classe chain if we are stopping late and leaving early in the morning, as they always seemed really good value when they were about 19 euros a nght, but they no longer seem to be as cheap - can't remember exactly how much when we stayed in one three weeks ago - and we decided that was the last time - we are getting too old to put up with very basic!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can also throughly recommend the Val Moret right by the motorway great food and rooms. Family of 4 in one room.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Stayed at both the Mercure and Ibis in Troyes before and they have both been fine.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've stayed in the Val Moret & the Troyes IBIS. Both are fine, but the Val Moret is more convenient if all you want to do is sleep and eat.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another vote for the Val Moret - very near the motorway.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Stayed at the Ibis Troyes twice, can't fault it, decent breakfast and they have family rooms, plenty of places to eat nearby. The Ibis shares a secure underground carpark with the Mercure (which is next door) if that's a factor in your decision, but it is height restricted, can't remember the exact height but it's too low for an MPV/4X4 with roof box.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Val Moret looks nice but is unfortunately full.
Is there a problem with arriving a little late in the evening in French 'hotels' if we encounter bad traffic or something else to slow us down?
sarah,
parking 'safely' does come into it; will check out Ibis on internet;
Thanks for your help so far
Mitch
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mitchell, Try the Novotel @ Reims family room for 4 is approx €80.00 also opposite a Carrefour Hypermarche for cheap diesel/petrol.

http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-0428-novotel-reims-tinqueux/index.shtml
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fogliettaz,
That reminds me; I need snow chains. Do you think i will ( or should) be able to get some in France ( in the carrefour hopefully)?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The chances are you will not need snowchains in April, I drive to the Alps 2-3 times every winter for the last 8 years and have only fitted them once to get out of my garage! If you do need them you should be able get them closer to the resort.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shame Val moret is full - alsop recommend

Our usual stop on way out is here http://www.charmilles-fr.com/htgb/0001.htm but this may be a little bit further than you want to travel
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

The chances are you will not need snowchains in April

That's correct. But the very heavy snowfall we can get late in the season, though it doesn't last long on the roads, can be super-disruptive in the short-term. We had friends left here yesterday morning and certainly needed chains (they don't have snow tyres - I'm sure we'd have got out without them) for the first 20 miles or so. It was completely impossible for them to get their car near their apartment to load their gear, as our co-pro snowplough doesn't get going that early in the morning (it was 8 am - the commune snowplough had been up the road at 0630 but there was already 10 - 12" on the ploughed part). My OH had to help them get their gear down to the car - heavy cases, which required digging a path first (I'd not have dug a path, I'd have dragged the cases through it, personally Evil or Very Mad ).

By mid-day it was all looking very tame. But someone who came up on Saturday night had to leave his wife and kids in a hotel down the road, to have a go at getting the car up here. He succeeded, but decided it would be impossible to get back down and pick them up. Chaos, albeit very short-term. We haven't had a lot of heavy snowfalls this season, but they've practically all been timed to cause maximum disruption on change-over day.
ski holidays
pam w,
Looking at the forecasts thats what I am a bit worried about; don't fancy trying my luck up some steep alpine road thats got 6" or so inches of snow on it ( I have 'summer' tyres); do they 'do' chains on the auto route.......don't fancy detouring off and searching through a hypermarket or somewhere similar.
snow report
Quote:

Is there a problem with arriving a little late in the evening in French 'hotels' if we encounter bad traffic or something else to slow us down?

arrived at the Troyes Mercure very late one time when the autoroute up from Chamonix was nearly closed by a blizzard that hit us passing Dijon and up, no problem turning up at midnight. Left at noon the next day and the autoroute to Calais was littered with abandoned cars even then.
snow report
Mitchell, Ibis have called me on the day of arrival (on two occasions) to check what time we will arriving, they don't mind they just like to know I think.
latest report
Mitchell, they do have some chains on the autoroute, but I wouldn't bank on them having a full range of sizes. Met two families this evening, who travelled together from Geneva on Saturday night. One car got abandoned - but not before taking a wrong turning - after one of the chains he had put on with great difficulty (and quite possibly wrong) broke. Eventually they all got here, but they had a horrendous journey. When they went back the next day to find the abandoned car they initially couldn't find it - until they worked out where the wrong tuning had been taken by asking locally for directions to the bar in which wife and kids had been dumped temporarily (though for several hours, as it turned out). Fortunately they all had a nice day skiing today!!

It seems unlikely (though not impossible) that there will be two Saturdays in a row quite so bad as that...

What is the timing/date of your journey? And where are you going?
snow report
pam w,
Driving down this Friday, stop overnight & finish in resort on Saturday; Heading for Val Cenis.
ski holidays
there's a bit of precipitation about at the weekend - you can always keep an eye on the forecast, to help you decide whether you'll be likely to need chains. Bon voyage. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy