Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So are there any bad boots or is it just badly fitting boots?

Poster: A snowHead
I read this that SZK had written:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=63343#1498676

It made me think 'are there any bad boots on the market, or are all boot problems just caused by badly fitted boots'.

If you are in the market for boots, will you benefit by buying the most expensive boots that the bootfitter says fit (assuming it meets you skiing requirements), or will the needs of most recreational skiers be just as well served by buying the cheapest boots that the bootfitter says fit (assuming they meet their sking needs, i.e. stiffness, flex).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

will you benefit by buying the most expensive boots that the bootfitter says fit

my sister in law did this ( rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes despite my advice) and ended up in boots too advanced for her. I would always buy the cheapest ones the bootfitter suggests, and add some nice thermic warmers with any left over dosh. Generally, as I understand it, it is the high end boots which are more expensive. Most of us just need ones that fit. My son, a fantastic skier, uses some horrendously old ones which have been worn to death by various male members of the family - they were quite expensive to start with, I think, about 18 years ago, but now be really worn out. You should just see the way he skis in them! He also uses whatever "free" skis he can get his hands on - he likes some more than others but he skis great on them all, on and off the piste, backwards if it's too easy. We are maybe too inclined to think that some magic bit of kit will transform our performance.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, Price dictates Quality, nothing else. Types of plastics and fittings on higher end models, means they are more expensive, the cheaper stuff, marketed at lower end users is just poorer quality.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
but what is the implication of "quality" for function? Are better "quality" materials/fittings longer lasting, stronger, more adjustable, or what? Do the inners take longer to pack down? Is there no correlation at all between price and performance? If not, why would anyone with any sense buy more expensive boots? Marketing hype?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, bet you he'd notice the difference in his skiing with properly fitting boots & some skis purchased with the type of skiing he enjoys in mind.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
arv, yes, he probably would, but he's just not a gear junkie - and would rather a pair of OK boots and skis which are "free" rather than a set up he had to pay £600 for. He has never shown the slightest inclination to own a car either - or even a specially flash bike, come to that. Or anything other than dead scruffy clothes. Just not acquisitive, I guess.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, This is what I had in mind as a question - Excellent! I wonder what responses it will get Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, my two sons also ski in 'hand-me-down' boots, previously belonging to their father, although we do usually hire skis. One pair are still quite good, the other pair aren't.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helen Beaumont, I think kids who have skied since they were little can just do it, without faffing about gear - as the Canadian race coach chap said on another thread. And who can afford constant new "high quality" boots for a bunch of teenagers? They're lucky if they get a new pair of socks!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Megamum, Price dictates Quality, nothing else. Types of plastics and fittings on higher end models, means they are more expensive, the cheaper stuff, marketed at lower end users is just poorer quality.

Only within the same brand. Is a Strolz or Dalbello Boot worth more than an Atomic or HEAD? I don't think so.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spyderman, hubby had two pairs of Dalbello boots before he got his current Atomic's. These are the one's currently being used by our kids. One pair is pretty stiff, and eldest is quite happy with the fit. We were always going to buy them some, but never got round to it, and by the time their feet stopped growing, they didn't always want to come with us any more.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont, It's whatever boot fits your feet, ability, etc. Manufacturers like Atomic/Salomon/HEAD have massive production numbers, so can use economies of scale to drive down their costs. Other lower volume manufacturers that sell their boots more expensively are not necessarily better, but they will have higher costs per unit.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spyderman, they weren't expensive when he bought them, I think the Atomics cost more TBH.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Only within the same brand. Is a Strolz or Dalbello Boot worth more than an Atomic or HEAD? I don't think so.

Don't quite understand your point.... Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well sell only "Expert level" boots if the marketing is to be believed, average price I guess around 600€ with footbeds, custom liners etc. Our margins are way less than if we were to buy lower level boots. Boots like a Jah Love from Nordica are pretty much loss leaders, however with more people starting to learn to fit boots properly the sales are picking up as the moulds are able to traverse a wider range of "Marketable" needs to repay the huge investment. Nordica will have a new boot, the Enforcer next year that they have just pulled from their sister company Dolomite, the mould will now be used by Nordica, as the brand is stronger, lower quality plastics and fittings but almost no development or investment costs. This is true of most manufacturers, You are better buying a low end user model from high in the range, than a high end user model from low in the range, in terms of durability, flex pattern over a broad range of temperatures.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Well sell only "Expert level" boots if the marketing is to be believed, average price I guess around 600€ with footbeds, custom liners etc. Our margins are way less than if we were to buy lower level boots. Boots like a Jah Love from Nordica are pretty much loss leaders, however with more people starting to learn to fit boots properly the sales are picking up as the moulds are able to traverse a wider range of "Marketable" needs to repay the huge investment. Nordica will have a new boot, the Enforcer next year that they have just pulled from their sister company Dolomite, the mould will now be used by Nordica, as the brand is stronger, lower quality plastics and fittings but almost no development or investment costs. This is true of most manufacturers, You are better buying a low end user model from high in the range, than a high end user model from low in the range, in terms of durability, flex pattern over a broad range of temperatures.

latest report
Quote:

You are better buying a low end user model from high in the range, than a high end user model from low in the range

but if you only sell "expert" boots, then presumably you don't have any "low end-user models"?
ski holidays
I have my coat, tired and hungry, back to this another time.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
I have my coat, tired and hungry, back to this another time.

quite understand your low end user coat
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Quote:

You said " Price dictates quality, nothing else." Well it doesn't. There are many factors which dictate price, quality being only one of them.
latest report
You're right I guess, alot of cheap product out there that doesn't warrant it's price tag.
latest report
Quote:

but what is the implication of "quality" for function? Are better "quality" materials/fittings longer lasting, stronger, more adjustable, or what? Do the inners take longer to pack down? Is there no correlation at all between price and performance? If not, why would anyone with any sense buy more expensive boots? Marketing hype?

Well?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy