Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A Simple 3V Question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Last Easter we had intense freeze-thaw slushy days based out of Meribel Village. After a day or two chasing our own tails we cottoned on to skiing according to the sunshine (doh!).

As one looks at the 3V piste map (which I presently cant find but can recall roughly), is it the slopes on the left hand side we want to ski in the mornings, and right in the afternoons? Or other way around?

This all assumes sunshine to melt away at the nice dumps out there.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
just thinking..... I recall that piste map is counter-intuitive, in that north is roughly at the bottom, south roughly at the top. So the east-facing slopes (better bet in the afternoons if it's warm) will be those on the left hand side of the valley as you look at the map. But I'm guessing a bit..... don't know the area well. Of course, Meribel is pretty low altitude - so probably skiing will be best on the upper slopes, as always. wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter Leuzzi, if you're in Meribel Village again to orientate yourself, the sun hits the other side of the valley, Tougnette first and then comes over to the Meribel/ Saulire side later in the day leaving Tougnette in the shade. Similarly if you ski into Courchevel in the morning that will be in the sun. Hope this helps.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, stevew, thanks. That all rings true from memory. We hardly skied Meribel itself at all over a whole week last year, so might be interesting if there is some snow.

So simply, I follow the sun for the slow melt?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Basically yes. The south facing slopes will absorb a lot more solar radiation as they are more exposed to the sun. North facing slopes will be in the shadows for longer and hence won't get so much sun. If you look at the sun at around noon you will find you are facing roughly south ie the sun is effectively shining from the south, hence why north facing slopes tend to be in shadow. West facing slopes also get more sun in the warmer part of the day and East facing slopes get the sun in the cooler morning. So this can have an impact by the end of the day too.

First thing in spring most slopes will be quite hard as they will (probably) have refrozen a bit over night. Though in the Three Valleys they will probably be beautifully pisted. So early on you will want to find slopes which are being warmed up by the sun (South and South East facing). By early to mid afternoon though these same slopes will be starting to be uncomfortably warm.

Obviously it may not be possible to spend all day neatly progressing from one aspect to the next in order, but it is well worth keeping where the sun is in mind.
Cool
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Peter Leuzzi, I recalled this thread... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1476367 which overlays 3v pistes on Google Earth... so it should be fairly easy to orientate yourself from that!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Peter Leuzzi, chedck out the Courchnet/Merinet sites for advice on which pistes are best to ski at different times of the day - some advice for Courchevel is here.... http://www.courchnet.com/snow_report.php?id_snow_report=4172
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy