Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski length for children - conflicting advice!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I need some help re children's ski lengths as I am getting conflicting advice from people who should know what they are talking about rolling eyes .

My 7 year old is a keen, aggressive skier of good intermediate standard (French bronze star). He has been skiing on 116cm skis this year and I would like to know whether he is going to get another year out of them. I have been told, variously, that they should come to between the nose and the chin (ie 10-20cm shorter than the child's height) - or alternatively, that for an intermediate-advanced skier they should be around 5cm (no more than 10cm) shorter than the child Puzzled . He is currently around 126cm so he will be 130cm by next December.

Our season is over here (Pyrenees) Crying or Very sad but I'd like to know whether to (a) repair and store for next season or (b) sell them to a friend who wants them for her child for an Easter skiing trip.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Troc them and get some longer skis. What has his instructor said, I would have thought 125cm at least.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I reccomend to people for kids to go upto the eye brow at least then u get some growing room out of them!!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I really don't think it makes any difference if a kid's skis are 5-10cm too long or short, especially at intermediate level. Being ridiculously too long can be an issue, but too short isn't really the end of the world. I coach some ripping 4-6 year olds that ski on a whole bunch of random skis.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At what point does it start to make a difference? He only started skiing in Feb 09 when I restarted after a long break (fused ankle Sad ) - but he skis a fair bit and is very ambitious. He trains with the local French ski club and wants make the competition class next year; given his progress in the last 14 months I wouldn't bet against it.

I would rather not spend more money on skis until or unless we absolutely have to. At present we have the nearly-new 116s (they are cheap skis from Decathlon bought mid-season to replace a pair he trashed, so it wouldn't hurt too much to troc them), a pair of second-hand 120s of unknown vintage that need new bindings, and his sister's 128s.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
AllyG, i wouldnt fret too much about it. if you can sell em and upgrade cheaply might be an idea but it wont transform his skiing. your french instructor gave you good advice... at 7 years unless he is racing competitively very little in it....i am 193 cm and ski on 165 to 193 skis depending on what i want to do....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy