Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France 3: Vallee Blanche

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just turned on TV at random - programme on France3 about descent of the Vallee Blance. Looks interesting.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think this will be available on the France 3 website (series is "Chronique d'en haut). Well worth watching, particularly for anyone who (like me) has often wondered about that arete, as there is some close up filming of the descent. Impressive rescue exercise pulling someone out of a crevasse too. Stunning footage of the aftermath of 3 days of blizzard - getting the cable car going again, and ridding the cables of a huge build up of ice. Brief interview with English (unfortunately) woman heading off down the VB with her husband and blithely ignoring the warning of the head of the Chamonix guides.....

It was also interesting to see the inside of the refuge and the woman who manages it. I like the idea of spending the night there and setting off before the hordes have got up the mountain!

Am at home this morning rather than out in the new snow because I have some kind of sudden onset rib injury - can't cough, or sneeze, or stretch. So right now, the VB seems a distant prospect..... Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, Shame I am in UK!
I'm am off to Chamonix on the 8th and I am will be with a group that are looking to get a guide and do the Vallee Blanche if the condition are ok Shocked
Having read about it I am begining to wonder what I have let myself in for Shocked

Hope you are feeling better soon.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Linds, http://rhone-alpes-auvergne.france3.fr/emissions/chroniquesdenhaut/archives/62011949-fr.php
this morning's programme isn't on the list yet, but I guess it will be - I've not used the "view again" yet, so I don't really know how it works. It would be well worth watching - the descent of the arete looked less scary than it did when I've looked down from the top viewing platform - I think a key point for me would be the weather. When it's cold and windy up there, it's horrendous! I've only ever been up in sunny weather (waste of money otherwise...) but it was very cold one time, and being outside for 20 minutes, even very well wrapped up, was enough. Call me a wimp!

My rib's feeling better - it was odd. I got knocked over my an out of control Frenchman a couple of weeks ago - sent me flying, and I landed on the themos flask in my backpack. Nothing the next day, but then the day after, was sore - but nothing to stop me skiing. Lasted quite a while, but wore off. Then yesterday I altered the bindings on my snowshoes to go for a walk - no problem - and just went into the cupboard to find my salopettes. All of a sudden got a really acute sharp stabbing pain. When I sneezed violently it was very sore - made me shout - and was stabbing me at times throughout yesterday and at night. Was very painful this morning, trying to get out of bed, but after some icing, ibuprofen and ultrasound, is feeling a lot better. It felt exactly like I'd had a major back slam on a snowboard - but I hadn't, it struck out of the blue. Old Age, I guess.

Do the Vallee Blance - when you're still young enough!

wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Do the Vallee Blance - when you're still young enough!

pam w, Time is running out for me then rolling eyes Laughing
My aches and pains are getting worse but at least at the moment mine is just a snotty nose bug that has hit everybody coming back from Italy after a brill holiday in the Dolomites last week rolling eyes Laughing
Next thing on my bucket list is whitewater rafting rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
VB is a piece of wee wee. If you can ski a red piste you can ski the VB. The arete is scary prospect for the uninitiated however it does have guide ropes & if you've a guide with you you'll be roped up to him. So other than appearing to be scary you'll be in no danger. There are few if any dangerous crevasses on the main route & your guide will direct you away from them where necessary. Anyway it's a nice days sightseeing on skis not the big skiing deal it's made out to be.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Anyway it's a nice days sightseeing on skis not the big skiing deal it's made out to be.

I've never thought the main route is a "big skiing deal" but I certainly think it's a big deal in terms of higher mountain terrain and more awe-inspiring surroundings than most of us have ever encountered before.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Linds,
Personal suggestion for the Arete is to take a back pack that you can strap your skis onto. This means that you have your hands free to hold the rope rail and your ski sticks, otherwise you have to carry your skisin one hand which does not feel as secure.
I am a complete wimp at heights and it was not a problem with a stick in one hand and the other for the rope, felt very secure.
The scenery is spectacular.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

take a back pack that you can strap your skis onto

yes - I thought the people with skis strapped on backpacks looked a lot more comfortable. My hands are arthritic - don't like carrying skis at the best of times. I'd like to do it before too long - there might be a good opportunity in the next few weeks and there are some organised trips from here.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy