Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should big guys avoid certain skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, so I'm not THAT big - 88kg/ 192lb and 6'2".

Am thinking about buying my first set of skis (using ancient 2nd hand Salomon Poweraxes currently).

Does weight matter when choosing skis? Or does being a bit heavier mean I can coose anything?

Was thinking about an intermediate all mountain ski.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Andythejock, That isn't that heavy. (same as me...) Just affects what length you choose. Plenty of choices out there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
88kg thats borderline skinny Toofy Grin

scott missions
volkl acs
k2 xplorers
movement
dynastar sultans

plenty more to consider
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lol! Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers big papa.

So heavier people don't need to go for a stiffer ski?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Andythejock, for your height, you're definitely not "heavy".
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ok, granted.

So if you buy a 1.70m ski, it will be suitable for an average weight intermediate skier of 6'2"?

It's just I remember reading that ceratin skis were more suitable for lightweights? As in they didn't push the skis down in a turn. Wondered if the converse was true?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Andythejock, Yes, some skis are more suited to lightweights, others to heavyweights.

The reviews over at http://www.skipressworld.com/usa/ski-finder.html will help on this matter as once they've located a ski suitable for you they indicate which are preferable for which weight category.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Andythejock, I would have thought 170cm might be a bit short - but depends what you want to do, and what sort of ski it is.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, K2 Burnin' Luvs - that's one they should definitely avoid! - just ask, erm Burning Luv Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Glenshee have had some good ski demos in recent weeks, they had 2011 K2, Volkl and Line last week and have had Nordica and K2 previously. If you befriend K2 or Glenshee on facebook you will see if they are having any more. It's pretty good getting to try the skis out on the slopes as I quite often like skis that I would never have chosen due to their write up.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Annything under 100KG is a disadvantage with Gravity Very Happy Most skis will suit you decide what type of ski you are looking for Piste/All Mountain/Powder/Park and then test a few options and buy the one you like
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's partly weight and partly how you use it i.e., how aggressively you ski. As I understand it the stiffer the skier the more heavy and aggressive the skier needs to be.

I am 6 foot 4 and 85 kgs. Next week I will be skiing on Movement Thunder ski's for the first time. These are stiff ski's that give what you put in. I'll let you know how it goes.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So I'm a stiff skier? NehNeh

Ok, so I might have just come back from the pub!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As long as you choose the appropriate length, the stiffness will be roughly designed for your weight. For an all-mountain ski you should be looking at something around 180 cm long as a rough guide. If you try a few pairs at that sort of length, you'll soon get a feel for their relative stiffness. If they feel too stiff and unforgiving, then try the same models in a size shorter eg. 175 cm.

I'm exactly the same weight as you and invariably choose the longest length available in any particular ski model. So that's usually around 185 cm for all-mountain skis. But I am an experienced skier and work them pretty hard at high speed, so as an intermediate you might want something a little shorter and therefore softer.
snow report
I am about the same dimensions (6'1", 90kg) as the OP, and struggle a bit if I go too much above 170.

Last hol I spent my time on some 167s and had a blast (having taken back some 176s that I found a bit of a handful).

To put that in perspective I spent some time on a 168 snowboard (!) and found that ok.

WEIRDO
ski holidays
Stiffness is to do with the construction of ski not the length of the ski. If you take two different ski's of the same length their stiffness can vary based on the construction of the ski. There is the "correct" length of ski for someone (give or take) but there isn't a "correct" construction. Different people will enjoy different ski's bases on their physical attributes and skiing style.. or lack of Laughing
latest report
As I'm not so long parallel (although quite plucky with it!), I figured on 1.70m to 1.75m.

I note that some skis are described in reviews as being "best suited to lighter" skiers. How would Lennox Lewis find those to ski (if indeed he can ski!)?

cheers for all the thoughts folks!
snow report
Ever since I saw this thread I've been thinking of TallTone and wondering if he has problems finding skis that are long enough.
snow report
Is he 6'8"?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
He'd find it difficult to get good edge hold on hardpack/icy stuff and he'd find them unstable (flappy) at speed.
snow conditions
How do midgets fare? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Andythejock, I don't know, but he is a really tall chap - I'm 5'9" and I have to look up when I am chatting to him - or stand about 5ft away Laughing Mind you I don't think even he is as tall as my kids headmaster who must be approaching 7'. The headmaster doesn't ski but SH TallTone most certainly does, such tall people must need skis that start at around the 2m mark I don't know how many mainstream skis go that big, but I imagine that it must be a problem, particularly if they need to hire when I imagine most hire shops must routinely stock shorter skis.

FWIW at 6'2" you don't strike me as overly tall, but then I come from a taller family where lots of the men are >6' so perhaps that's why you sound of a normal height for a chap to me.

I don't think our most respected SH's Pixies would care for the term midgets Laughing However, I don't think it is such a problem to find shorter skis - it is often asked about on here, and there are usually loads of suggestions at the shorter end of the range.
snow report
Andy goes back into his box. Sad

wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy