Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pre BASI L2 and L3 instructor development days

Poster: A snowHead
Our pre BASI assessment day courses for L1/L2 coach and L1 Instructor are fully booked and we are considering running additional courses this summer for those with instructor licenses but who are considering further training and would like an indication if there personal performance is at or near the level required.

L2 prep day - for those with an L1 or UK advanced rating who are considering the L2 course

L3 prep day - for those with L2 ratings who are considering L3 Technical modules

if there is enough interest i am sure we could arrange something.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret, I would have thought that most instructors know where they are already in terms of their skiing, whether they've worked it out for themselves or have been told. Most ski schools operate a training system already for instructors to work towards further qualifications. Hemel I know are offering this summer, Instructor training for staff, as they did last year.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman, could be but we have had more than a few ask us about this.... and i am not so sure that L2's know the "level" for L3 nor does the staff training get that individual typically...

We would be using an associate coach who examines at L3 level so people would get the straight scoop snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret, I may be interested, but it depends on who the coach is...

I do have someone in mind that I was thinking of tapping up for some summer training. Drop me a PM.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spyderman, to be honest I don't know exactly where L3 is pitched apart from the general "it's quite a bit harder than L2" type comments everyone makes!

skimottaret, could possibly be interested, not because I reckon I'm necessarily near the L3 level (don't really have a clue) but I'd like to get my head round what is needed and what I'l need to concentrate on in the next year or two.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Could be interested though however close to or far from the level, taking time away to do the modules will be a major constraint for me anyway.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
roga, In my limited experience, I tend to think Cessna, then F15 - that's the kind of difference between L3 and L2. (performance)

Faster, steeper, and much more precision in all area's.

I suspect these muted development days will benefit, and open the eyes of, anyone who attends.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowshark, lol I like the way you put it - L3 will be a piece of p*ss then Wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Considering for the level 2 you only need to;

Demonstrate carving on hard blues/ easy reds
Descend moguls in control (no speed changes turn changes etc)
Have the ability to get down some off piste

...its not all that hard.

L3 is typically for those who are taking skiing seriously and considering it more as a career choice, therefore the level is significantly higher. But this is just by comparison.

I would say for many people who hold a L2, if you are unsure of passing the L3 tech one of these courses could be very useful to determine if you are wasting time/money by booking. If you are reassured you will enter the exam with far more confidence!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You don't even need to be able to carve for L2 do you? Just rail your turns leaving two clean tracks, on blue runs.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
R555MAC, i think your right in your summary...i seem to remember that you were considering taking the test technique, have you had a go?

i am starting to have a rethink on the L3 stuff indoors as it may be too limiting and most will worry about their bumps skiing which would be tough to review properly. Perhaps a monthly hard core development session format may work better and have both a personal development and coaching component.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret, I did wonder about the bumps element, but I thank your idea of 'hard core' development sessions may work well.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, yes I did do my test technique. Following a total of 6 weeks slalom training from hitting the first gate I passed in ADH on my first attempt. So for anyone considering the TT as a way of beginning work in France it is well within the ability of a decent skier. After my first 3 weeks of slalom I was under the simulated times by around 3 seconds, so it all went really well, better than I ever expected actually! I am now teaching for ESI in Chatel as a Stagiere, and I am loving the work! Just planning out the next exams, and thinking of getting that Eurotest out of the way either soon in Austria or ADH at the start of next season.

L3 training indoors may be slightly restricted in that respect (bumps wise). I've been skiing with some people recently who are attending the up coming technical exams in Hintertux. The most common problems do seem to be with bumps skiing. I know that in the ChillFactore there are bumps, (more like a rut line though) I'm assuming this isn't present in the Hemel center? If people can descend the rut line in control then a regular mogul run shouldn't be all that difficult.

PS. Regarding the TT if anybody would like information on application/training etc for the test just ask and I can post a topic covering pretty much everything you would need to know. Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1, exactly, so comparatively speaking a big gap!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Regarding the TT if anybody would like information on application/training etc for the test just ask and I can post a topic covering pretty much everything you would need to know.

yes please!! that may be this coming seasons challenge.... I was thinking about doing gates this summer and having a go at it in the autumn as a target, then onto GS training....

WELL DONE on passing the TT. not taking anything away from your quick first time pass but that you did it with 6 weeks training gives me hope that it isnt impossible.
snow report
Just began a new topic. It links to a blogspot I have setup. I plan on adding more to it. But what I add will more likely be regarding whatever I struggle to find adequate information on (hence why I chose the TT to inform people on). So its unlikely that I will add any Eurotest info for example as this is not too hard to come by.
ski holidays
R555MAC, do you mind me asking a very rude question - how old are you? (roughly!)
latest report
Haha, the blog shows my D.O.B. I am a youngster, born June 1990. I started my BASI exams last season doing 1+2 and I am just building up my hours now to begin the L3. I began instructing thinking it would be fairly quick to get all of the exams done, but its great and I love the work!
snow report
R555MAC, well done, a good achievement, had you not done any racing before at all (dry slope etc)?
snow report
No I had none at all prior to the beginning of my training. I went to NewZealand and joined a race team there. Cardrona HPC. I opted for a 3 day per week 14 week programme. We began with freeskiing drills and after the first week began some GS. Weeks one and 2 were purely focused on our skiing out of gates to improve technique issues. We then began GS and finally some slalom stubbies around the 3rd/4th week. Think I first went into full slalom gates around week 4. We then spent the next 10 weeks between GS and SL, I even had a morning of SuperG which was fun! Slaom was great fun from the start! I took part in some races over there which I think was really important towards being mentally prepared. Hitting that first ever SL gate was great fun!

So my NZ training plus 3 weeks (13 days after weather problems) with R21 on the Tignes glacier I would have spent around 25-30 days of skiing slalom before the test. That doesnt sound like much but if you calculate it by the turn it would be in the region of 8000. So plenty to get used to hitting the gates and improving technique generally.
snow conditions
we are now thinking of something slightly different and having two seperate monthly sessions. 1 aimed at Instructor development for L1's and aspirant instructors and a second session for coaches and L1.5/L2 instructors. Early days on this but trying to get some dates / coaches together
snow report
Just out of interest is there a lower age limit for BASI1, if so what is it?
ski holidays
ski holidays
skimottaret, Thanks, I squeeze in by 36 years but I wasn't thinking about me Smile
snow report
Colin B, my daughter is having a go this summer, you should sign up grandad, i was invariably the oldest on all my basi courses Little Angel
latest report
skimottaret, Smile My daughter is only 14, a couple of years to go, if she continues to show interest. Thinking about seeing if she fancies Snoworks Race Training (she's not done any racing) in October and I'd do something at the same time. Not sure I'd be cut out for instructing even if I was good enough (although TDC guy in Tignes in December said I wasn't far away).
snow conditions
Colin B, Race training would be fun and Emma at snoworks is now a basi trainer and she would be able to give your daughter a clear idea of what she needed to do but L1 is pretty straight forward technically. the teaching side is more difficult... we do one day pre course assessments if you or her would be interested... the next one is full up but we are getting another date up soon. http://www.insideoutskiing.com/instructor.html
ski holidays
skimottaret, Thanks. perhaps next year for either of us!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all,

We are going to start running some Performance Clinics aimed at Level 8 and higher skiers and for those who are interested in training for Coach or Instructor courses.

They will be more intensive and individual than our monthly clinics and will be 4 people per coach max. 2 x 90 minute sessions on the hill with video review in between.

Not sure if afternoons or evenings work best. We had run a few evening sessions but at 3 1/2 hours most were pretty knackered for work the next day and or struggled to get to hemel in time so we are thinking Monday afternoons 1:30 -5:00 with a 5 hour lift pass 1-6 so you can warm up before and practice after wards.

proposed dates 14 june, 12 july, 16 aug, 17 sept, 11 oct, 22 nov, 20 dec.

what do you think?
ski holidays
we are also considering doing these on sundays 3:30 - 7:00 with pass active from 3 to 8.

what would be preferable? sunday afternoon or mondays?
ski holidays
Sunday afternoon Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy