Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding Position

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My last trip was 2 weeks in Big White which for the record was a great holiday but that's neither here nor there for the purposes of this post.

The first few days were fine but as time went on I was having a hard time controlling the skis. It's the first time I've been away skiing for a fortnight so I assumed the liners had compressed much more than they normally would when I've been away for just a week. I could feel that there was far to much room inside my boots.

I went to visit CEM yesterday who diagnosed the problem in record time, my boots were 2 1/2 sizes too big. Anyway after a new boot fitting I walked away with a new pair of custom fitted Salomon Impact 10's which I'm really pleased with. Size 27

My question is this. What position should my bindings be in? I can adjust the bindings back and forth to obtain the correct gap but should they be towards the front, middle or back? Ignore the markings where the bindings are now as I've buggered about with them.

Thank you to Ray Zorro for his post on how to upload photos and Thank you for helping.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The arrow at the back and bit at the front should be set to correspond to your Boot Sole Length (BSL), a figure which is printed on the side of the heel of the boot. I'm guessing it will be roughly in the 305-320mm ish region

You should note that

1. This is (on regular bindings) distinct from Forward Pressure and so you may then need to reset the forward pressure via another adjuster. Rental bindings like those shown may adjust differently.

2. A shorter BSL might (MIGHT, not will) mean that you need a slightly higer DIN setting. Check the charts.

Hope that helps. How was Big White?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 26-03-10 16:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
whats the sole lenght of the boots? should be on the heal piece or similar in mm.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
stiv24, Toe piece first. Look for (or measure) the boot sole length on your new boots (usually just above the heel).. Set the toe piece so that the range indicated (showing 308-319), and then set the heel to match the boot sole length using the the same colour (in this case orange). The length is indicated by the little white triangle. Just behind the triangle there will be a small window. When the length (forward presseure) is correct, you will see a small peg in the window.

Note that failure to set the length correctly willl result in your bindings releasing incorrectly - if at all unsure, got to your local shop.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks.

Big White was great, definitely worth the agro of flying from Gatwick and the long flights. We managed to get return flights with Thomas Cook booked through Canadian Affair for £300 each. Looking back we should have paid the £90 for a seat upgrade and travelled in a bit of comfort.

The locals were saying that it was the warmest start to March they'd had in years and they were surprised that it hadn't snowed because it normally dumps down. Towards the end of our stay several of the runs were closed as the rocks we becoming visible but there was plenty to ski still with a snow base of 2m.

During the fortnight we had 1 total white out day and 1 partial white out which was just about skiable but we decided to head to the pub. The best snow fell on our last night and when we left at 8am the following morning it was blue sunny skies and about 8 inches of champagne powder.

The resort is fairly expensive for groceries etc and we got the impression it was all owned by one company with no real competition.

If you can get into Kelowna to do your shopping that is definitely the way forward. Luckily we booked a private transfer and stopped to shop en-route to the hill. It was our fault we ate it all in the first week.

I really wish I'd paid a bit more attention and could have done a proper write up like some of the great reviews on here!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A few rocks on some runs even when we were there in feb.. Its a very odd resort..full of Aussies and looks a bit like a Disney version of port merrion and they seemingly stop the lifts every 5mins for no apparant reason. Some nice skining in places though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
papasmurf, was the very old 2 man chair open when you were there? I think it's the Falcon chair but for the 2 weeks we were there it was only open for 1 day.

Your right about the Aussies. Locals said that there is some link with the governments which makes getting a work visa very easy.

Would you go back?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I hear the owner of the resort is Aussie, so that might be why...

Falcon chair only opened the day we left..as always with these things. Posssibly might be saturdays/sundays only.

Not sure about going back..okay I understand it was a bad snow year, but didn't really think there or sunpeaks was worth the 20hours door to door travel. Did enjoy it though and would probably change my view if it was a normal snow year, wasn't helped by having had wasit deep untracked nearly every day in serre che two weeks before..

and the beers terrible.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Unless ou can find a decent microbrewery Old Style Pilsner is the only thing that's vaugely palatable. Surprised they wern't shipping coopers of tooheys in.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
yeah that old style was pretty nice.. I couldn't quite understand the point of having 2-3 different flavoured ales (brown, honey and smooth) and then serve them really really cold and flat so you cn't taste the difference.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy