Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Coombas v Shoguns....?

Poster: A snowHead
I know the Coombas are up there this season again and performance hasn't been lost just wondered if there is any feedback out there on this season's Shoguns?
Without looking into other comparisons of other skis what's the verdict on a punch out between these two?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
coomba for me every time, the shogun works great off-piste but really isn't good on the pistes! Coomba seems to work everywhere to me!

Check out the hardsides!!!!!! ( i know u wern't asking for that but thought i would get it in there! can use it everywhere!!)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
backcountryboy, I will preface everything below with the fact that I work for Salomon

As the pictures linked below show you can carve shoguns! Coombas are an amazing ski but as a one ski quiver I am not to sure.

I have fallen in love wiht the shoguns as I have yet to find anything they cant do I have tested the K2 and thought they where amazing in the deep stuff but just a little lacking on piste

At teh end of the day allot of it will be personal choice and the only way to truly know is to get on them and try. Shoguns are great but you really have to push them and keep them working as soon as you switch off they will punish you Smile

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Must admit I am a lover of Salomon from Force 9 era to X-Screams (which were an awesome ride) to Hot Chilli's. I just heard that the bases were a TAD softer on the Shoguns, which is fine on deep pow but previous experience on ripping 'em a bit in the past.

I ride 'em hard anyway so no issues with pushing all the time really liked last season Coomba's just wondered how they positioned. K2 have good marketing machine but still not got the magnet of Salomon by choice (mine) I would say and didn't want to enter into the trap of this year's hype.

Might have a look outwith though...... rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
backcountryboy, if you like Coomba, you'll lurve HSFR's in 187. Similar dims, but a bit stiffer I'm told.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fattes13, is that the conspiracy one piece?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
papasmurf, Its the Sideways Jacket and Pants they zip into a one Piece but I do have the conspiracy in the wardrobe fo powder days Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
how do you find it, been looking at one..just hard to get hold of..and i hear the sizing is a little on the large size
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
papasmurf, I think the firs line in this thread from me is the give away I do some work for them and managed to get my hands on one. It i awsome but attracts allot of attention especially when teamed wiht matching skis etc.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lucky for some! what size you got? I hear go down a size to normal?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
backcountryboy, k2 marketing machine???????...and u think salomon aren't? hahahhahahahhahahahahhahahaahahahahhahaahhahahahahaha

Salomon are the biggest marketers out there have the staff and the budget unlike any other esspesh in the UK. They also are the biggest users of "fashion words" what I am trying to say is can anyone spot any rocker in a lord?? cos I know i cant the tips are flat as pancakes!

I really can't knock salomon for it! there skis sell like hot cakes cos of it... and the skis are alright too!

and Fattes13, you look like you are preparing for flight! Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
backcountryboy wrote:
is any feedback out there on this season's Shoguns?

I bought a pair of Shoguns (182) 3 weeks ago, replacing Scott Missions, and have had 4 days on them at La Grave, skiing pretty much everything from boot high powder (not enough unfortunately) through the trees at Montgenevre, to Spring porridge at the back of Alpe D'huez, with breakable crust, unbreakable crust, frozen avalanche debris, big moguls and hard pistes all thrown in as well. I found them great, especially where conditions changed a lot down a long run and you had to have confidence that the skis would push on through and hold the line you wanted even as things underfoot were varying. I thought they were a solid platform there, stiffer and more planted than the Missions, and yet still easy enough to ski in tight situations eg down the couloirs and through the bumps. On the piste they definitely dig in and carve nice tracks although edge to edge is bound to be slower due to the lack of sidecut - large fast turns are in order. Definitely heavier though, which you notice when they are strapped to your back booting up. Didn't have an opportunity to try them with skins although I guess that will be a good workout!
Unfortunately that's the skiing over for this year so I am looking forward to lots of big faces of proper powder next season for big freeride turns....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dansmith wrote:
backcountryboy, k2 marketing machine???????...and u think salomon aren't? hahahhahahahhahahahahhahahaahahahahhahaahhahahahahaha

Salomon are the biggest marketers out there have the staff and the budget unlike any other esspesh in the UK. They also are the biggest users of "fashion words" what I am trying to say is can anyone spot any rocker in a lord?? cos I know i cant the tips are flat as pancakes!

I concur! Salomon skis whilst they ski well when new are made of nothing more than optimism & chewy flexy stuff. Which is fine if you only do a week a year & replace your skis every 3 or 4 years but they aren't skis for consistent charging on. To be honest whilst i have major problems with this it isn't really a problem for most people that buy their skis. However be under no misolution that they're great omni skis for charging hard all the time cause this is patently wrong. So with that in mind don't believe the hype.

Or as i like to put it - Small ski companies have reputations, big ski companies have marketing budgets. And Salomon are definitely one of the bigger ski companies.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had the same dilemma, had the Shoguns and Coomba recommended by a ski patroller. I've just bought a pair of coombacks and think they are awesome. I rented a pair before buying but unfortunatley couldn't rent the shoguns so can't do a back to back comparison.

I ski'd on hard packed piste, on powder and everything in between in the Aspen Highland Bowl and found they did everything amazingly well. I've got the fritschi freeride bindings on them but haven't had any chance to test them out for any touring. I was wondering whether to keep 2 pairs of skis, one for pow and touring and one for more piste oriented, but after ski-ing these they will become the only ski I'll take now.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I will hold my hand up when it comes to being pretty anti-Salomon over the years. However, they have over time made IMO the best alpine binding ever in the S9 Series. Maybe the best boot of it's generation in the X-Wave/Pro-model (before it went all spaceframe and bullshite, current product sucks a$$.) But their skis have been utter rubbish, however what I am seeing now is interesting; Back to wood core, sidewall skis sound's like a must IMO. Let's see where they go, back to basics is the order of the day if Salomon wish to regain it's loyal fan base of the late 90's early 20's. That said; the Quest................... Laughing
latest report
backcountryboy,
Major caveat first I potter around off piste rather than charging hard and don't do any gnarly lines.
I had a pair of Shoguns for a day when I needed some skis for skinning and they were what the shop rented to me when I asked.
I did not find them a particularly great ski. In soft snow they were fine but not quite as much fun as I was expecting. When coming out onto hard piste they were not a particularly easy ski to use and seemed to lack 'spring'.
Second major caveat I am about 95kg and I suspect that the ski that I was useing at 170 was a bit short, obviously they had touring bindings on.
snow conditions
I agree the quality of the salomons has improved vastly in the last 2 years, and next year seems better again...(well the skis that they have changed anyway) also atomic looks stupidly god next year!

Personally always loved salomon boots and always get punished by my feet when I move away from them... you think I would learn but I will get the full tilts not to hurt me! haha
ski holidays
Every ski company is a marketing machine in diffrent ways. You have the big players with huge advertising budgets who plaster product everywhere and you have the alternative word of mouth for small co like white dot and Storm Funny I was hearing people talking about white dot and how good they where and they had never tested them

Have given the Shoguns a good 3 week thrashing this year and they have held up well and we ski hard and heavy for every second we can. They will also get a good few months on snow next year.
latest report
I think there is a balance between technical quality and marketing to be addressed in most cases. I've seen a ski brand, that i adore and love their skis, however asking the owners, friends of mine tech questions, edge angles from factory was greeted with a vacant stare. That make's me worry. In my opinion, Salomon are the most guilty in recent years of this. Backed up after a few beers in Munich with a couple of the Frenchies.
It make take some time, but as mentioned above the ski range is now "looking" as good as any out there. Bring back the S9's binding as Look(QRD) have with P18 and the X2 boot and the world will once again be a perfect place.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, by S9 bindings do you mean bindings such as the s914's etc? cos personally thought the sth driver bindings were an improvement of this?
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

You might just be in look with the bindings, these are what the new STH range are going to look like...

They look pretty similar to the S9's
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, The guys in the UK put allot of time in to making sure people know what there products are offering sadly it does not alwasy trickle down to the shops etc.
latest report
Fattes13, When does Salomon Launch the 2011 gear? as I'm pretty interested in those bindings!
snow conditions
milnerhome, there available now! I have them in stock... they aren't a new binding!
latest report
I think he's talking about the s916/920 wink
latest report
dansmith wrote:
Check out the hardsides!!!!!! ( i know u wern't asking for that but thought i would get it in there! can use it everywhere!!)

I know it's basically OT for this thread, but I hired a pair (191cm, Duke bindings) for an afternoon last week (having broken the FR+ bindings on my Mantras) and hated them. There was a lot of Scottish skiing to be had (in Andermatt!), so hard snow performance was well tested. The rocker made the tip virtually impossible to engange, and in any side-slipping the balance was all wrong - the centre of drag came just about directly through the back of the heel, as there is no matching rocker on the tail, so it was continually pushing me onto my heels to keep balanced slides. They did work much better in the bottomles soft stuff (unfortunately slush, not powder Shocked Laughing ) on the final few 100m, when the tip finally found something to work with, but I certainly wouldn't call them a go anywhere ski. It was such a relief to get back on the Mantras the following day.
ski holidays
GrahamN wrote:
dansmith wrote:

I know it's basically OT for this thread, but I hired a pair (191cm, Duke bindings) for an afternoon last week (having broken the FR+ bindings on my Mantras) and hated them. There was a lot of Scottish skiing to be had (in Andermatt!), so hard snow performance was well tested. The rocker made the tip virtually impossible to engange, and in any side-slipping the balance was all wrong - the centre of drag came just about directly through the back of the heel, as there is no matching rocker on the tail, so it was continually pushing me onto my heels to keep balanced slides. They did work much better in the bottomles soft stuff (unfortunately slush, not powder Shocked Laughing ) on the final few 100m, when the tip finally found something to work with, but I certainly wouldn't call them a go anywhere ski. It was such a relief to get back on the Mantras the following day.

Personally loved them even nicked them for the last days skiing on a test. sounds like we had better snow but can't say that the ski felt unblananced, and personally don't see why you would need a tail rocker on it...surely that would just make it worse on the hard stuff as there would be less contact area. could it of been that you where a bigger boot than the binding was set to and you were miles back off the centre line? Ahh everyone has there own opinions and gets used to what they buy I guess!
snow report
dansmith, my point was that when the ski was resisting a sideways slide (we had lots of steep traverses or steep hard slopes), the rocker meant that the top 30cm or so of the ski did nothing, so the contact/resistance was spread from where the rocker ended, back to the very tail of the ski, and the centre of that spread of resistance was right at the back of the binding. So to stay balanced with body weight properly supported over that centre of resistance I had to be sitting on my heels all the time. If there were a tail rocker as well, then that resistance would not have continued all the way to the tail and the centre would have been brought forward, towards the centre of the binding. There would have been a shorter contact area, so the ski would have felt shorter on hardpack, but it would have been much better balanced. It was nowhere near as noticeable when skiing reasonably rapidly on piste where the ski was more nearly carving (although I probably only had about 2-300m on piste on them), but there was still not the same positive turn initiation and tip feel as you get from the Mantras.

It's true though that personal taste and skiing style does greatly affect how we see skis. I've had immediate positive reactions to every Stockli ski I've ever skied though, and the Mantras I knew I'd buy after 30 seconds on them, the same with my previous Black Diamond Kilowatts, and also rated most Dynastar skis I've been on. I've not really got on with K2 skis in the past (although only tried a couple), and had mixed feelings about several Atomics and Movements (but loved the Dynamic 1.2s I bought from you). I've never felt quite so unbalanced as on those Hardsides though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Testing skis perhaps not balanced for you?????
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy