Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying skis for my wife - advice please

Poster: A snowHead
I'm in the process of buying skis for my wife and have been doing plenty of research since my post about the Volkl Aguas. It seams impossible to buy a pair of Agua's so i'm looking for a similar ski.

She is an intermediate skier who had ACL reconstruction about 4 years ago, kid 2 years ago and as a result, hasn't skied for a while and confidence isn't that high. She's 161cm tall and 57kgs.

I had a good chat with a chap from Ellis Brigham today who was very helpful and gave me lots of tips. So far here's the shortlist with some of my thoughts

Volkl Attiva Aire, 154cm - I first considered these skis as an alternative to the Aguas. My wife loved the Aguas as she found them really easy to turn. My worry is they are a beginner-intermedate ski and will eventually hold her back. She's probably better on a stiffer ski in the long term?

Volkl Attiva Estrella, 151cm - as a stiffer alternative to the Aire. 151 seams too short though? The next one up is 158cm and these seam to long?

Atomic Cloud 7, 156cm - back to a more sensible length. Chap from EB said they maybe an alternative to the Estrella. Anyone know much about these skis?

K2 Burning Luv, 156cm - really recommended by the chap from EB. They are down as inter-adv skis so not sure if they maybe a bit stiff to begin with until my wife gets use to them. Again, anyone used a pair? They seam to get a good write up.

K2 One Luv, 156cm - exactly the same as the Burning Luv just without the top sheet for less expereiced skiers. Chap from EB thought <rs Kersh would be better on the Burning Luv.

I want to buy skis that she will enjoy skiing on but which one to buy is killing me. Before her ACL reconstruction, she skied pretty fast on the piste and I expect her to get back to that. That would lead me to want to buy something like the Burning Luv which is a bit stiffer. However I want these skis give her back her confidence. The Burning Luv seams to be the right option or should I go for something less aggressive?

Cheers
Kersh
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Purely in the interests of a balanced debate, i will suggets you buy here anything made by Rossignol or Salomon, purely because there will be all sorts of wierd and wonderful names coming along shortly Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kersh, Speaking as a woman I would let her test a few and pick her own - whatever you buy her is unlikely to be what she really wants.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Second what Megamum says. I tried quite a few before buying mine and found them to differ a fair bit. What might suit one gal might not suit another.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thirding what Megamum says. Unless she has a major input into the decision you run the risk that it'll be your fault if it goes wrong. If she really has no views whatsoever about what she wants, and isn't interested in doing some research, she might be better off hiring something nice and easy and forgiving until she finds her feet again.

When are you next skiing?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Do you want new or second hand? wink Cool
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mrs Kersh is being consulted all the way here ... she's just not a snowHead

I hear what your saying about testing her own skis. I've done it for a couple of years myself and have decided to buy skis myself now and in doing so, now realise how each ski works differently. However, this has cost me a load of cash and i'll be glad to have my own to save some money. This ain't a reason to buy her some skis though.

Mrs Kersh is pretty keen to have her own skis having finally found a pair of hire skis she really liked. Honestly, if I could find a pair of 08/09 Volkl Aguas, they'd be in the post by now. In her own words, she loved them. Such a shame I can't find them. pam w, maybe you're right, she should hire for a while to decide what she wants. We won't ski now until next winter (i'm not a huge fan of indoors in the UK).

Mosha Marc, plan is to buy new.

Cheers
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, queen bodecia & pam w, out of interest, where did you test your skis? Indoors in the UK or on the real stuff? Do you think it's possible to decide indoors?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kersh, I'm not sure I'm sufficiently discerning to test indoors. I tested some skis on proper snow when Rossignol had a test day here in Les Saisies - but the last two pairs I've bought (one of them second hand and very successful) have been on the basis of lots of research. I don't think I'm specially fussy, actually (or maybe I just don't have the skills to distinguish clearly between skis) but I would rather choose my own, even so.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, I am a bit of an indoors skeptic and don't beleive you can tell what a set of skis will really be like by testing them on 150m of artificial snow on shallow slope. Glad to hear you went out on the real stuff.

EDIT - typo

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 25-03-10 23:07; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi

I have K2 Burning Luvs bought new this season, have done a couple of full weeks on them and a few sessions at Chill Factore. I've tried other skis too but have found these really good. Had K2 True luvs before and the Burning Luvs are so much more stable and have been very easy to ski on. Great for confidence boosting. Would highly recommend them but it would be a good idea to go and do a test with either Ellis Brigham or Snow & Rock at one of the indoor slopes or find somewhere abroad that does them as hire skis and try them for a few days there.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Head great ones
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi- I'm stressing over buying a pair of skis too!
I tested a couple of the ones you mentioned at milton keynes- I'm solid intermediate-progressing to advanced- 5'5'' 60kg I want a lightish skis for my poor old knees!!!!

Volkl aire- 154- far to light and 'flappy'
volkl Estrella 151- I loved these - but l feel I may be restricted by them being a little too short- dithered cos worried the next size up was too long and now they're all gone!!!!! ( I may still get the 151 s when i try again in a week- thats if they've still got the test model at mk- they're still available at other stockests on line in a 151.)
tried atomic cloud 9- felt dull compared with estrella.

I'd like to try the scott maya 155
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
topcat, I am soooo tempted to buy some Burning Luvs. Can you give me some more info about the level you ski at? Cheers

tripletimestep, thanks for the info. Nice to hear you thought the Aire was too light and flappy for you. This was my main concern so good to hear it from someone else. As for the Estrella, I know exactly what you mean about the length. rolling eyes

Kersh
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kersh, I tested skis indoors at both Hemel and Tamworth. Although steepness and speed are never going to be much of an issue indoors, you definitely get a feel for skis, how easy they turn, edge hold, stability, how they deal with hard icy patches and slushy patches. It certainly worked for me.
ski holidays
Can anyone give me advice on the K2 One Luv, 156cm and the K2 Free Luv, 156cm? I'm beginning to think the Burning Luv is just too stiff. The Free Luv looks like a more versitile ski too.

Thanks
ski holidays
Kersh, can't remember whether I tried Free Luv or True Luv, but they didn't suit me at all. They just felt clumpy and unresponsive, maybe this is how I react to 'stiffness' (no sniggering at the back of the class!). I preferred Fischer Koa 78, Scott Rosa/Maya, Rossignol Attraxion VI (which I am now the proud owner of) and Storm Inferno. But like I said, what suits one girl might not suit another.
latest report
Quote:

Rossignol Attraxion VI (which I am now the proud owner of)

I am too, £100 second-hand from a SH. Not overwhelmed by the graphics (little shiny bits rolling eyes ) but who cares? I also have Dynastar Exclusive Fluid - couldn't resist at 60% off in the last Filarinski midnight sale.
snow report
pam w, my graphics are OK, mainly black with gold text and a couple of small red bits. They even match my boots! Laughing
snow report
queen bodecia, mine are older - more red. And come to think of it, they are Attraxion V. Doh. Just shows how vague I am about my skis! If they were a car, I'd probably have got the engine capacity wrong. wink I just ski on the damn things.
snow report
You lot know nothing about skis!

Which skis match her outfit....those are the ones to buy her.
If none go really well then just follow pamW's lead and get the red ones.

Why complicate things?

Twisted Evil
snow report
Quote:

Can anyone give me advice on the K2 One Luv, 156cm and the K2 Free Luv, 156cm? I'm beginning to think the Burning Luv is just too stiff. The Free Luv looks like a more versitile ski too.

My OH has a pair of One Luvs from about 3 years ago. They were her first ski and after 2 seasons and 5 weeks she's still liking them but just starting to think of something else. She's quite an aggressive skier. Looking at the specs for this seasons One Luv it seems to have become skinnier (now 70mm waist against 74mm for the older one). I've not skied any of these skis (so what do I know!) but just on the specs and the description of your OH I'd consider the Free Luv as a minimum in the K2 range for a good intermediate.
latest report
rungsp, I once met someone in Lockwood choosing boots ..... only the blue ones would do as they matched her outfit. The fact they didn't fit didn't matter. Laughing rolling eyes
snow conditions
Gadge, thanks for the advice about the One and Free Luvs. This is one of my concerns that Mrs Kersh may grow out of the One Luv quite quickly as she finds her feet again and starts charging down the piste. On the other hand, there are far to many reivews of the Burning Luv saying they're 'advanced' or 'expert' skis which at the moment, she isn't. The Free's do look like an option.

K
ski holidays
Quote:

rungsp, I once met someone in Lockwood choosing boots ..... only the blue ones would do as they matched her outfit. The fact they didn't fit didn't matter.

Everytime I'm in Lockwoods I love people watching those buying boots. It's an education in interpersonal skills how the Lockwoods boot fitters steer the men away from race boots and the women from the ones that match their outfit.
latest report
Kersh, My wife bought a pair of Dynastar Exclusive Fluid skis from Sport Conrad without testing (she's 170cm tall and about 62Kg) based on reviews and that she always gets on well with Ladies Dynastar skis. Fortunately she loved them and didn't regret it one bit. She seemed to turn really well with them but were very stable at speed. My wife is not a particularly aggressive skier and quite lady like with her style but is a fairly good intermmediate. This was her 10th week skiing.

I only mention them as you didn't have any Dynastar skis listed and they do sell these pair at Ellis Brigham, currently in the sale according to their website. I would however recommend testing them as mentioned by most people and because Ellis Brigham sell them, then this should be quite easy.
ski holidays
Kersh wrote:
Gadge, thanks for the advice about the One and Free Luvs. This is one of my concerns that Mrs Kersh may grow out of the One Luv quite quickly as she finds her feet again and starts charging down the piste. On the other hand, there are far to many reivews of the Burning Luv saying they're 'advanced' or 'expert' skis which at the moment, she isn't. The Free's do look like an option.

K

Mrs Monium is a solid intermediate, same as me. She can ski reds without issue, though the harder ones need a bit of concentration, and on tired legs can be challeging.

I wouldn't describe her as advanced, or expert (sorry love) but then neither would she.

I bought her some Burnin Luvs last summer and you couldn't prise them out of her hands unless you had some brand new Burnin Luvs to swap Smile

Confidence inspiring, ideal for somebody in your wife's position, assuming she is a piste skier and doesn't have aspirations to spend a lot of time in the powder.

They also seem to do absolutely fine with no chatter etc when we do charge down the odd piste at a fair old speed, so I can't see her outgrowing them any time soon.

Seems like a pretty sensible choice, I would go with these unless she skis something else and loves them. If you don't have the option of test drives, you really won't go far wrong with these.

Mrs Monium has tried several other skis at demo days and always comes away happy that she's got the Burnin Luvs - so good news for the bank manager!
snow report
We bought mrsmfj197 a pair of Elan Mag Spice for Christmas - cracking skis, and couldn't recommend them highly enough. Not particularly lightweight, but have great edge hold, bust through crud, enough width for a little float in the powder, easy turning circle. Plus they're a funky shade of purple!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy