Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skating on skis - what is the knack?

Poster: A snowHead
You watch the instructors doing it and they get along so natural looking on a flat bit of piste that its untrue.

I can do it for a while, and it seems to be going OK and then all of a sudden I lose it, and the momentum disappears. Is there a knack to this skating on skis lark, and what is more use - double pole plants with it or one after another on each side.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Inside edge of pushing ski/outside of gliding ski. Longer poles or grip on top of pole, double pole push behind. Roll gliding ski onto inside edge for new push.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, crumbs, not sure my brain could get round the complication of that (which probably explains why I'm not that brilliant at it. Embarassed)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ice-skating with bigger skates - and don't catch an edge else you'll look a fool! Embarassed Double pole push behind as fatbob says.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alexandra, ah. I can't ice-skate either! Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've done a fair bit of skating over the years and this is one of the aspects of skiing i found easiest to pick up.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well I know that I'm not doing anything with the gliding ski and didn't realise there was a ski roll edge to edge involved, so that might help to explain the difficulty. Double pole plant behind Ahhhh......not to the sides.......have to try that too.

I'd love to be able to do it well, it always appears to be so much easier than shuffling along.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
need to bend the knees well, shift your weight really positively so you can get a long glide on one ski, and keep a slow rhythm, don't rush it. Definitely double pole push. But the instructors can do it without poles, and uphill, and carrying big piles of slalom poles. That needs both technique AND stamina.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Double pole, but only every "other" push of the leg.

i.e. pole when you push off the right (of left) leg only, not both.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, it can be quite hard work, especially slightly uphill, but definitely the quickest way of moving across the flat. The techniques described above sound about right to me. However, I do find it trickier these days with fatter skis, I'm sure it was easier with the old skinny things. Although longer they just seemed to skate a bit better and it was easier to keep the skinny tails away from each other.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queen bodecia, Do you think that was because skinny skis are likely to have been lighter. Is it harder with heavier skis?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, that's possible. I find I have to skate with my legs much further apart making a wider V shape than I'm sure I ever used to. There's either a scientific explanation or I'm just rubbish. Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Of course, if you are on Telemark skis you can also do a classic langlauf stride on flat bits of piste! Little Angel
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just skate, if you try and think about all this stuff doing something so simple your brain will melt. Push off one foot onto the next, exactly like you'd expect. Instructors are on snow day in, day out - don't worry about it. I have some pretty solid ski boot ballet skills after too much time on a magic carpet too... Seriously, if you manage to make a thread for every potential aspect of skiing you'll get so much feedback it'll sound insurmountable to put your skis on.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DaveC, exactly my point on your other thread Megamum, don't try and analyse everything in minute detail, push off one ski, glide ,push off t'other ski , glide, repeat. Pole as necessary, hands on top of poles helps.....
ski holidays
DaveC, Well I take your point about info overload, but skating become a technique of great validity for me to pick up after a week in Les Arcs. There was quite a length of flat, across to some of the lifts. Picked up from the end of a schuss whilst the momentum was still with me, as I said above, it would work for a while, then something would happen and it would go to pot and be difficult to pick up again. I just wondered if there was something fundamental that you had to do to make it happen and that I had never been told about.
snow conditions
Not really - as you lose momentum it's harder to balance on the edge you're pushing off. Just spend your time on flats walking like a duck (I tell my kids to make duck feet). Quacking optional, usually helps.
snow report
dont try to think of having your legs wide apart
- that will come as you start to get the technique

best thing i ever learned to do

if you get on a nice flattish slope, instead of just going straight, do lots of short transfers ski to ski (what i mean is do lots of short turns, but dont actually turn much) - what you will find is that your body momentum starts naturally transferring from one ski to the other; at that point the key is the confidence bit of just "stepping" off each ski in turn; and before you know it you'll be skating Smile

actually that sounds more complicated than the description above (must admit i didn;t like any reference to "outside edge" - that sent shivers down my spine Smile
snow report
Megamum, push with inside edge- glide on outside edge- really- this is quite hard but not impossible.
snow report
I seem to have missed this glide on outside edge thing, and think that I always glide on the bases. Am I doing it wrong?
ski holidays
slikedges, Yup, I thought you did the gliding flat on the bases too.
snow conditions
I found this fairly easy as I used to skate a lot.

I think I do it fairly flat as you don't want to add resistance by using too much edge. The first couple of "skates" may use the edges to push off then once moving its onto the bases.
snow conditions
Quote:

I think I do it fairly flat

I think so too, but as you are gliding a bit to the right, on the right ski (and vice versa) you do have to get your weight well over on top of the relevant ski - significant weight transfer is needed to avoid toppling back into the centre too quickly. So maybe it just feels as if you are on the outside edge?

I try to watch people who are doing it well and get inside their heads.

Yes, I'm sure the old skinnier skis were easier than very modern fat ones - the cross country skaters don't do it on fat skis.
latest report
Strangely it's one aspect of skiing that I have not been taught but can manage to achieve quite well Very Happy
But I'm also quite good on ice skates as well!
snow conditions
Yep, learnt to skate on skis v.easily as roller skated as kid and inline skate as adult.
ski holidays
All this talk! Is there a vid that shows the "glide on the outside" part clearly???

I just glide on the base. Though I FULLY transfer my weight to the gliding ski, which at the begining feels almost like I would tip over to the outside...
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I think I do it fairly flat

I think so too, but as you are gliding a bit to the right, on the right ski (and vice versa) you do have to get your weight well over on top of the relevant ski - significant weight transfer is needed to avoid toppling back into the centre too quickly.

You have it exactly.

In order to balance the torso (chin line) on top of the gliding ski and stand tall on the gliding leg, you -will- be on the outside edge.

The only people for whom this is not the case is people whose pelvis is narrower than their ski waist. *

Of course, if y'all don't feel like standing tall on the gliding leg, well... I reckon herringboning is good exercise if a bit slow.

*the other exception to this is ski boots loose at the ankle, along with insanely strong ankles, and we know from previous discussion that slikedges doesn't subscribe to this as a boot fitting principle. Toofy Grin

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=26405#618108

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 26-03-10 0:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
In order to balance the torso (chin line) on top of the gliding ski and stand tall on the gliding leg, you -will- be on the outside edge.

I honestly don't understand this!

To "balance the torso on top of the gliding ski" sounds to me can be done by gliding on the base...

Like I said, I'd love to see a vid. And some close-up of the gliding ski showing "what" it's gliding on.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
comprex wrote:

I honestly don't understand this!

To "balance the torso on top of the gliding ski" sounds to me can be done by gliding on the base...

Nope, can't be done with a tall leg and laterally rigid ankles unless pelvis width<ski waist.

Try to do it in shoes on carpet and you will *constantly* have to engage the muscles at the ankle you're standing on.
snow report
I mastered skating while dragging 4 year old on the end of one pole this year - I think we found every flat bit in the Grand Massif! The small sections where 6 year old grabbed the other pole needed a little momentum going into them. I couldn't explain the 'technique' to you but it seemed to work snowHead
ski holidays
abc wrote:
All this talk! Is there a vid that shows the "glide on the outside" part clearly???

I just glide on the base. Though I FULLY transfer my weight to the gliding ski, which at the begining feels almost like I would tip over to the outside...

Yes you will find a video in our glossary under diverging skis...

Look here http://www.yourskicoach.com/YourSkiCoach/D.html

and of course it is in the DVDs
latest report
Funnily enough I've found it significantly easier on modern fatter skis - more base width I assume.

Have to say it is an area where practice on blades has helped hugely ... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
most people cant skate for the same reason they skid a lot when skiing, the skis have to be put on their edges and you need to get your weight forward and on the balls of your feet.

Skimummy, has it right, try pulling someone, you will quickly find out how to skate... and ski....
snow report
skimottaret, or skating uphill. The 1.5km skate up the nordic track coming out of Les Avals did wonders for my skating ability (although didn't improve my mood much at the end of the day).
snow report
I skid massively when skiing but find skating pretty easy - but then I did iceskating lessons for about 2 years as a kid.

It's kind of a push/glide rhythm. Just want to work out how to make skis glide in slush - skating on that isn't fun!
snow conditions
skimottaret, yeah, spot on. MOst people I see struggling with it are demonstrating beautifully how far back their "weight" is.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
skimottaret, or skating uphill. The 1.5km skate up the nordic track coming out of Les Avals did wonders for my skating ability (although didn't improve my mood much at the end of the day).

yup that's a good test bed, but as I can't see megamum getting there, pulling the kids around is a sure fire way to quickly learn the skills!!
snow report
Maybe it is different to skating on skates. On skates you propel yourself forward on the inside edges. Whereas on skis its more a series of slightly looped outside turns and your weight is far more over to the side.
snow report
it doesn't sound as though megamum's kids need much pulling around - maybe she could train them to pull her around?

Skating to music can be really good if the rhythm is right - teetering along on one ski waiting for the moment for the next push.
snow report
abc,
Quote:

Double pole, but only every "other" push of the leg.

i.e. pole when you push off the right (of left) leg only, not both.

Skate 3 - nothing wrong with skate 3 and its probably the easiest to do, but poling on both legs (skate 2) is just as valid, is faster but harder work.

Tips for good skating.

Get adjustable poles skating is easier with longer poles (they should reach to be between chin and nose if you were skating on xc kit). Try to get your centre of gravity over the glide ski - most people I see skating on alpine kit have their centre of gravity between the two skis. Practice on a very slight downhill to start with much easier than uphill initially.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy