Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Austria - this weekend

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We driving from UK to Austria this weekend. Intending to head for Ulm, and then south to cross into Austria at Fussen, and then head over the Fernpass to get to the Inn valley. But....

Checking the route on routes.tomtom.com it seems to show the road between Fussen and Lermoos as closed: "Bridge blocked. Snow on Road. Delay of 203minutes". It's been showing this for a least a week.

Anyone in the area got more info as to whether this is true? If so, looks like we might have to go via Garmishe.

I also understand that the bottom piece of the A7 from Nesselwang to Fussen is now actually open. Can anyone confirm this?

And final question. Very Happy We're not actually stopping in Austria but heading over the Brenner pass to the Dolomites. I understand the Brenner pass has its own toll and so you don't have to have a vignette to use it. Is it practical to avoid the motorways around Innsbruck, and thus not having to pay for a vignette? Whereabout would I need to join the Brenner motorway for this? Or is it not worth it just to save a few euro.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From Innsbruck city centre you follow the signs for Brennerpass/A13, and it takes you up a hill to the Innsbruck Süd junction (ie not the A12/A13 interchange). I think from that point to the border is the special toll (about 10€ each way iirc, plus whatever on the Italian side).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks andy!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I went over the fernpass on tuesday and also through lermoos onto munich via Garmisch, It was t shirt weather and the only snow I saw was piled up beside the road right at the top of the pass. Dont know about the paticular road that you are talking about, but it was very warm in the whole area for last few days.
I also went over the arlberg pass at 1800m and there was no snow on the road at all.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RobW, Be prepared for some big delays - everyone and their great-grannie will be heading over the Brenner this weekend. The Easter Holidays start here in Bavaria, Baden-Würtemburg and in Austria, along with most of Scandinavia, the Netherlands and Belgium. There are some big roadworks at Klausen (on the Italian side) that have been causing hold-ups all this week according to the traffic reports.

It has been exceptionally warm - I'm burnt to a frazzle after 5 days skiing and we still have another few days to enjoy before the weather returns to a more normally late March mix. Maybe some of the other passes are open, although officially they are still showing as closed on the traffic maps. The forecast for the weekend is for rain which could also cause a few problems with idiots taking silly chances.

You will need a vignette for the Schnellstrasse I think once past the Fern Pass. It is €7.90 for 10 days and is required for autobahns AND Schnellstrasse (fast roads that are often dual carriage ways).

The toll for the Austrian side of the Brenner is 8 Euros currently for a car then you pay per kilometre or stretch on the Italian side. Sterzing/Vitopeno is only €1.10 if I remember correctly and it is about 8 Euros down to Bozen.

You can avoid the Brenner toll completely by going up the old road and down the other side to Sterzing/Vitopeno. It is a slow road but if the autobahn is full, so is the toll road. No lorries are allowed over the old road, nor caravans which gets rid of the two biggest causes of slow traffic.

Good luck
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sue, Thanks for the info. I know it's likely to be busy, but was more concerned with the section from Karlsruhe past Strasbourg! Been looking at some "interesting" routes to avoid that road one of which involves going via Frieburg and the north side of Bodensee - but this is a lot slower according to the route planners.

We've got a hotel in Kempten Sat night, so should be over the Fernpass early sunday and hopefully the Brenner by midday. Given the vignette is only price of a large beer, trying to avoid it doesn't seen worthwhile. We're heading for Alta Badia, so would be leaving the motorway some miles before Klausen.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RobW, use your Sat-Nav to keep you informed of the traffic situation and decide as you go along.

I no longer use the Strasbourg - Karlsruhe section. I come through Luxembourg and then drive through the Saarland directly from Luxembourg. As you approach Mannheim it is easy to decide whether to stay on the route for Karlsruhe and on to Stuttgart or to swing further north along the A6 towards Heilbronn and come down to Stuttgart on the A81(?). The autobahn goes further east and meets with A7 as well, but I have rarely ever had to use that section so I'm not too sure about its relative speed and distance.

If you are starting from Kempton on Sunday morning you should not have too many problems as the bulk of the traffic will be moving south Friday afternoon, night and all day Saturday.

Definitely DO NOT use the Bodensee route! It's a pig and a half and you can easily get held up for ages. Were you thinking of using the A5 south of Karlsruhe? That is definitely not a good way to get to Kempton!

I don't use the French autoroutes at all any more. It takes me about 8 hours to get from Munich to the Channel but I always plan in 10 hours to include coffee stops and fill-ups.

Have fun! It is pretty stormy to the south today - we could see the band of clouds that were the boundary between the rising winds out of the south and the god-awful Föhn winds that we were getting.

Sue Cool
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://asfinag.at/index.php?idtopic=461 is handy. Tells you where you need vignette, and prices of special tolls etc.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy