Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Old Marker bindings or buy new?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Long story I won't bore you with. I have two brand new planks AND an old (7 years perhaps) but very lightly used (a few days) set of Marker M9.2 bindings. I was just about to have the bindings fitted when I found this thread about a recall on some of them... http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17299. Mine look just like these http://www.untracked.com/pics/product_images/175004.jpg which seem to be called Titanium. Anyway that was my first issue. And I am obviously going to check out if there was a problem with these with Marker. Not that much can be done given how long ago the recall was done. But perhaps more importantly the thread seems to give Marker a real slating and says don't touch Marker bindings with a bargepole. So I guess my questions to Snowheads out there are:

A) Have you had bad experiences with Marker bindings from around 2002/3/4? Or have you heard bad things of Marker from that time or indeed at all?

B) Would you take the hit in this situation and purchase a new set of bindings? As I say these aren't heavily used but I did have a bit of a 'mare a few years ago with some Salomons pre-releasing and I'm not keen to repeat the exercise.

Very grateful for any replies that may help in my dilemma.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Layne wrote:

Very grateful for any replies that may help in my dilemma.

Recall or not, do you really want to use a heavy binding with a possible brake width problem on new planks?

That recall is for the Speedpoint demo track. Are your 9.2s on such a track? If not, then the thread you link to on TGR is off topic.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
comprex, To be honest I'll hold my hands up and say I haven't really thought this through. I should explain I have had these Marker bindings in the garage for a while. I recently came by some Movement Thunder planks. And just leapt on the idea of finally putting these "spare" bindings to use. What compatability issues do I need to think of in matching bindings to ski's?

I have to say I noticed they are a heavy binding when I got them. They came with a "bargain" set of Rossignol Bandits. I fairly quickly put touring bindings on those. And the Markers on some old style ski's. After using the Bandits for a bit I found I couldn't ski the old skinnies anymore, ditched them but kept the relatively new bindings. The Movement Thunder ski's are lighter than average for an all mountain ski. Are there implications on the choice of binding off the back of that?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Layne, Are the bindings still mounted ? If so just get them tested. If not then there are some bargains around at this time of year..
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No they are not mounted. I was about to get them done and thought I would just have a look to see what people said about the bindings.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't risk it, get some new ones.. freeze pro shop are selling Markers for £60 upwards
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why spend £60 when you do not have to - provided the brake width is adequate there should be no problem.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Worth getting them checked in the unlikely even that something has deteriorated. I'd be amazed if they were not absolutely fine.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
All pre Royal Family bindings from Marker get slagged on TGR. Its almost an article of faith that they are cheap crap, prone to pre-release. Whether this is actually true across the population actually skiing Marker bindings including many more recent K2 and Volkl owners I would question.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob, it's crap. I.e. not true.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Q1: Re: the "brake width problem" anyone know how adjustable width wise bindings are? I look last night and certainly they aren't wide enough as they are.

Q2: If I go for new, what/how to choose?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy