Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip report - Baqueira March 2010

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Trip report - Baqueira March 2010

I'm just back from a trip back to Baqueira/Beret in the Spanish Pyrenees. It's a favourite of mine and I usually make it over there most years, I spent the season there back in 2005/6.

This time we caught the resort with the best snow of the season, arriving just after a big storm which dumped snow on the beach in Barcelona and knocked out the power for most of Catalonia. Lorries were backed up almost as far as Limoges as the link to Spain was closed as we drove down.

Needless to say the snow was spot on and kept very well for the 12 days of Sunshine we had while we were there and I managed to ski a few 'lines' and itineraries, some of which I've had my eye on for years. The resort is allegedly ran on North American lines where Avy control is undertaken across the resort as a whole. In addition we skied a popular back country route down to an adjoining Valley and we lucked out with a heli-skiing trip sorted through the Baqueira British Ski School www.bbskischool.co.uk

I'd say that the resort it's self is especially suited to mixed groups. The layout and pistes means that beginners and intermediates can get around, while there are plenty of options (gullies / chutes / un-pisted double diamond blacks) for better skiers to 'nip off' and everyone meet at the bottom of the run.

Having drove down we had transport to get around the Valley ( the Val d'Aran ) and sampled the local restaurants. I'd forgotten how cheap it was to eat and drink out, especially when compared to our season in Italy last year. A couple of beers in a bar in our Village (Salardu) was only Euro 3.50 ! The quality of the restaurants in the Valley is superb and there are some excellent Tapas bars. I'd definitely recommend staying 'down the valley', the popular villages are Salardu, Arties and the main town is Vielha. Baqueira village it's self is a bit dead although I'd make an exception and stay at the La Pleta should my loto win come through. The staff are always lovely. The Tuc Blanc hotel next to the main lift is always a good choice for the end of day beer.

I'd recommend giving it a go, but then I'm already a convert wink

Contacts:
http://www.baqueira.es for the resort web site
http://www.skinspired.co.uk/ for accommodation

Some Photo's:

edit to add a couple of photo's and remove thumb's.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 8-11-12 9:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fabulous!

Thanks for sharing. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nice!
Baqueira has a really good terrain!! I love it, the only problem is the prices there...

This season isn't the best there because they suffer lots of Fohen with SW winds, but you ski the best week maybe!!

¿Did you ski the descent down to Bagergue?¿Or down to Montgarri?
In your photos I've seen that you enjoy the "noth face", really nice lines! Marconi, passarell, escornacabres...must do lines!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
AlTom, Cheers ! I think we lucked out and get the best week of the season, and you are right the lift pass rates are a bit high there. I'd hate to pay full price for a day pass.

We wanted to do Montgarri but once we'd checked it out with some friends who had done it in the past, we thought better of it. Mainly as because the forest apparently thickens a lot up near the bottom ? It's a shame as it's one I'd like to do.

We did do the run down to Bagergue and that was a highlight of the week. Nice, nice snow. To be fair, we should have done it the day before for best conditions but it was pretty good.

Escornacabres was in good condition, and we did the line dropping towards Ori behind the barrier off Luis Arias ( that's the 4th photo I think ). I also did that 2nd gully into Argulls (next to the wider one) and a few of the others. The hardest was probably the drop towards the road at Bonaigua. Crusty, very steep and added rocks to fall on - We'd taken a wrong turn and came out too far right rather than opposite the bottom lift.

Which are Passarell and Marconi ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks wonderful Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi David,

Thanks for the review. Just wondering - is it possible to stay 'down the valley' without a car? Is there any sort of ski bus service?

Thanks, Liam
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's a regular bus up and down the valley which stops a couple of times in each village and only costs a euro or something. If you get a timetable then it's usually spot on so easy to plan around and it takes skis and boards of course. Awesome place
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Draybs74, Yep, the bus runs up and down quite regularly. I think it's 1 euro anywhere in the Valley.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wow awesome. Is there enough skiing to keep everyone interested for a week?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
davejsy, plenty of skiing for a week. Plenty of skiing for a season, especially if you have a car. Would love to go back at some point, quite fancied going this year but the season looks to finish 4th april and we're only going out on 10th
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
david@mediacopy,
Am looking for a resort with a good ski school next season; does the British ski school one there have a decent reputation ( The Baqueira British ski school) that you know of?
Thanks
Mitch
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mitchell, I'm probably biased, but I know in that past that it's employed some excellent Coaches and Instructors wink

http://www.bbskischool.co.uk/instructors.shtml

Compared to the large ski schools in France it's a relativly small operation, which is typical for Baqueira (excepting the 'official' resort school), and is quite flexible. Group Lessons generally run in the Mornings with Private lessons scheduled for the afternoon, although the program can vary depending on demand. Group lessons are (were) usually a mix of Adults and kids. Needless to say Half Term periods are very busy.

Baqueira it's self is brilliant if you have a mix of abilities, with some steep off piste joining up with 'cursing' runs for the less adventurous. As ever, I'd suggest beginners try and do some initial lessons on the UK and that will open the mountain up them.

I'd recommend Baqueira and the BB Ski School Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
david@mediacopy,
Sounds interesting.I did read 'somewhere' that Baqueria has ski 'area's akin to the states so you ski an area as opposed to a piste; is this the case?
Crowds shouldn't be an issue as this trip will be with my 'mate' , not wife+kids , so will be going either late jan/early Feb or early March.
Ski Miquel look like they have a decent chalet & they do 'talk up' the resort up quite a bit , which is what got me looking at the place.
I know you mentioned beer prices in the village ( which seem amazingly cheap......was that happy hour) but what is food & drink like on the mountain ( quality & price)?
Did see reference to the Spanish royal family skiing here so would have imagined this would increase prices etc?
Mitch
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mitchell,
Quote:
Sounds interesting.I did read 'somewhere' that Baqueria has ski 'area's akin to the states so you ski an area as opposed to a piste; is this the case?

Apparently, although I've never seen it in writing. I think it comes from the early days of the resort when the owners had some sort of consultancy deal with one of the big American resort operators. The off piste seems well managed and there are plenty of 'managed' un-pisted runs and itineraries, plus chutes and gullies if you fancy it.

Quote:

Ski Miquel look like they have a decent chalet & they do 'talk up' the resort up quite a bit , which is what got me looking at the place.

Yep, we've stayed there before and would do again if a deal came up.

Quote:
I know you mentioned beer prices in the village ( which seem amazingly cheap......was that happy hour) but what is food & drink like on the mountain ( quality & price)?

In the valley the prices can be a bit variable depending on the venue, but you can eat exceptionally well and not get hammered for it, particularly if you can get down the valley. There is a late bus now which makes that easy. On the hill the food is OK, maybe 5 euro for a burger \ roll, 3.50 for chips, maybe 2.20 for a coffee. The cafe's are ran by the lift company and they seem to do a good job.

Quote:
Did see reference to the Spanish royal family skiing here so would have imagined this would increase prices etc?

Yep, they have a place there, but it doesn't seem to affect it as much as it could, however the resort does place it's self as an upmarket destination.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy