Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Moritz - my verdict

Poster: A snowHead
Well, here is my take on St Moritz.

Two words sum up the town, luxury goods. It is basically the size of broadmead Bristol but every shop is a designer exclusive number. I checked out the shop next to the hotel and they were selling gold and diamond encased mobile phones for between £6k and £30k. What type of people have so little to worry about that spend £30k on a handset. They must make very important calls. I wonder, if you did a stock take in every shop in town, what the cumulative retail asking price (as opposed to real value) of all the watches, bling, furs, diamons, designer handbags etc etc would be? Probably higher than the GDP of a small African state.

The ski area itself was quite small but excellent, perfect for a weekend. We covered the perimeter in less than a day and filled in all the runs quite quickly. The grading of the runs was not consistent with what we have experienced elsewhere. The blacks were not genuine blacks and 1 felt more like a blue. The grooming was excellent and it was nice to get some fast skiing in without having to worry about the impact on my knee. Grooming was much better than Skiwelt where I felt their game had slipped from previous years when I was there earlier this year.

The hotel, was surprisingly good value for a hotel near the funicular (Boris Becker was on the train and had the cheek to try and delay it while he and his mates finished their cigars)and had a great wellness centre with roof terrace bar and juccuzi whith a surperb mountain view.

Overall, worth it for a short break. The Ski area had enough variety for 3 days and at that altitude the snow is always going to be reliable. Any longer and the place is a bore.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Agree on all counts..

I've done a very pleasant weekend's skiing there (from Celerina) and there is a bewildering amount of money in the resort, evident mostly in the cars, fur coats and shops.

The non-skiers in our party went to White Turf and thoroughly enjoyed it: http://www.whiteturf.ch/index_en.htm

I guess either Boris is an exception or we were lucky but, despite it being very obvious that we were just peasants amonst the uberrich, we were never made to feel like anything other than fellow skiers.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rumdiary,

Did you ski all the St Moritz 3 unlinked areas?

I feel the black runs have been made easier for clients carrying £30 mobile phones. In any case I didn't think the Swiss are into skiing for the hard and dangerous stuff.

The black runs of St Moritz have served at least two winter Olympic so that were how difficult it was then.

Aspen may sell fur coats too and has its own airport. Cortina Ampezzo may have similar expensive properties but St Moritz does appear pretty upmarket with the domination of the expensive hotels. It is in a setting superior to other upmarket resorts even its skiing isn't top notch. However as the place isn't crowded, clean and well look after it remains a nice place to ski.

Didn't see large and expensive hotels in Cortina which has a lot of run down timber cow sheds. Aspen may be rich but there are a lot of poor folks in the town too. For skiing some of the chairlifts have no footrest. The apartments next to its main gondolas are no different to the high rise council flats in UK. Austria's Ischgl, St Anton and Lech are relatively small and do not have a customer base for the luxurious goods. St Moritz by comparison is better than most of them in my view as it got a massive lake frozen in winter to add to its charm. The place is snowsure too.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rumdiary, my impression of the skiing is quite different from yours.

I was there during the week leading up to Easter weekend. Some new snow had fallen. So the piste was busy! Not super busy, mind you. But enough I need to alter my path frequently to avoid 'slow moving obstacles'! I even had a near miss in the process of avoiding another near miss. Embarassed

There were some quite good skiers on the piste (and between pistes). I was in good company during the hour long journey on the ski route off Legalb(?), though mostly by my passing slower groups too busy taking photo of the scenary.

"The ski area itself was quite small", which one of the several (un-linked) mountains did you skied? I'm assuming the one accessed directly from St Moritz Dorf?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
abc wrote:
I even had a near miss in the process of avoiding another near miss. Embarassed

Time for a few more lessons?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, I did the funicular at St Moritz Dorf. And skied back to near there. It was enough for a day or two.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rumdiary wrote:
Yes, I did the funicular at St Moritz Dorf. And skied back to near there. It was enough for a day or two.
The main ski areas in St.Moritz are Corviglia/Piz Nair (reachable on the funicular from St.Moritz), the glacier on Corvatsch and the area of Furtschellas, which are connected, albeit not very well, and then the two ski areas on Bernina; Diavolezza and Piz Lagalb. All in all, more than enough to keep a guy happy for a week!

Looks like you missed some bits!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The main skiing area of St Moritz is Corviglia directly above the town but a slightly smaller area called Corvatsch is available at the opposite side of the lake. I was told one can ski from one to another via a ski route but I never tried it myself.

The Diavolezza comprises of two sides of the valley too with one side called Lagalb. The ski route of Diavolezza down the glacier is quite famous apparently and sold as a major feature of St Moritz.

I found all expensive resorts are small. Zermatt isn't much an area without Cervinia on the Italian side. Cortina is only one of the 12 areas of Dolomites but has at least 3 separate areas. Aspen is made up by 4 unlinked areas too with even smaller skiing terrians in Aspen Mountain and Aspen Highland. Most visitors know Aspen possibly through its biggest area Snowmass. Lech is a small part of Arlberg and accessible by bus or car from St Anton. I suppose if a resort is large and has a large number of visitors then it would not be exclusive and expensive.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steilhang wrote:
rumdiary wrote:
The main ski areas in St.Moritz are Corviglia/Piz Nair (reachable on the funicular from St.Moritz), the glacier on Corvatsch and the area of Furtschellas, which are connected, albeit not very well, and then the two ski areas on Bernina; Diavolezza and Piz Lagalb. All in all, more than enough to keep a guy happy for a week!

We did every lift that was reachable form the Funicular that takes you up to the restaurant at Piz Nair. We couldn't have skiied any further in any direction so I am confident we did every run it is possible to do in that area.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

a slightly smaller area called Corvatsch is available at the opposite side of the lake. I was told one can ski from one to another via a ski route but I never tried it myself.

I don't believe so. It takes a (short) bus ride to get to the lift serving Corvatsch.

However, one can indeed ski FROM Corvatsch to Corviglia. (it's not a ski route but a black piste)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Higs wrote:
abc wrote:
I even had a near miss in the process of avoiding another near miss. Embarassed

Time for a few more lessons?

Nope! Need to stay off-piste instead. Wink

(or ski even slower, another obvious solution)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rumdiary wrote:
Steilhang wrote:
rumdiary wrote:

We did every lift that was reachable form the Funicular that takes you up to the restaurant at Piz Nair. We couldn't have skiied any further in any direction so I am confident we did every run it is possible to do in that area.

Not "in that area", just one lift-linked area amoungst 3 (or 4? depending how one counts).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rumdiary wrote:
Overall, worth it for a short break. The Ski area had enough variety for 3 days and at that altitude the snow is always going to be reliable. Any longer and the place is a bore.

You need to look harder.

St Moritz has 350km of onpiste and some epic offpiste.

St Moritz has more onpiste than Zermatt, St Anton, Val d'Isere and Chamonix.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
your post made me lol. The main area, corviglia is small in my opinion. easy to get around so very very quickly it gets dull. The espace killy area deficates all over St Moritz. it wipes the floor with it. Chamonix isn't great for the same reason. Unconnected areas, need for buses etc. Going over to Italy was the best bit about Chamonix,
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rumdiary, yeah, but you still missed most of the bits rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
Quote:

Going over to Italy was the best bit about Chamonix

That explains. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Steilhang wrote:
rumdiary, yeah, but you still missed most of the bits rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

I missed 2 even smaller areas.
snow conditions
abc wrote:
Quote:

Going over to Italy was the best bit about Chamonix

That explains. rolling eyes

Chamonix is one of the worst resorts I have been o for skiing. I would say much better for climbers in the summer. Italy beats it hands down.
snow conditions
rumdiary,
Quote:

Chamonix is one of the worst resorts I have been o for skiing. I would say much better for climbers in the summer. Italy beats it hands down.

Italy is a little larger than Chamonix.
snow report
rumdiary, I don't think it's such a hot place for people who ski mainly on piste (like me) but it's pretty special for more skilled skiers who can take advantage of all the amazing terrain. I always feel very outgunned in Chamonix, with all those guys who leap off cliffs for breakfast. I remember skiing Brevent and Flegere with a friend who has a chalet there, and being decidely impressed with some of the action I saw around me going up the lifts - one guy just kind of appeared over a cliff, took a huge amount of air, and carried on down the (very steep) off piste we were riding over. My friend took no notice - she'd seen it all before.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy