Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do avalanche cords save lives?

Poster: A snowHead
Removed

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 1-04-10 17:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mr Goldsmith, I presume. Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No, it's one of my agency staff
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
George W. Bash, when you say "scaled back the emphasis" - he actually said he no longer had any evidence they worked... didn't he? Wink

Ernst Goldsmith, how many sock puppets do you - the brave campaigner against anonymity on the internet have now? rolling eyes

To all other snowheads - you may not be aware that we have previously done this one to death, and Mr Goldsmith found it difficult to accept that his viewpoint might be wrong. Indeed in a thread on this topic on the SCGB forum he made over 100 posts. He also - I think (please correct me if I am wrong, David) - said he had never skied off-piste carrying a shovel.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stoatsbrother wrote:

Ernst Goldsmith, how many sock puppets do you - the brave campaigner against anonymity on the internet have now? rolling eyes

If I could answer that - on behalf of Ernst Goldsmith - there is no particular issue here, since there is no anonymity. I am more a nom de plume than an anonymous troll, sockpuppet or 'straw man'. You clearly have considerable experience of the world of internet forums and can tell the difference.

stoatsbrother wrote:

To all other snowheads - you may not be aware that we have previously done this one to death

That seems a rather unfortunate phrase, in the circumstances. The argument for avalanche cords is hardly dead, and there are always people fresh to skiing and off-piste skiing who can work out their own solutions.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FFS Earnest, if you're going to do this sort of thing you might put some effort into being a bit less transparent. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
George W. Bash wrote:
there is no particular issue here, since there is no anonymity. I am more a nom de plume than an anonymous troll, sockpuppet or 'straw man'.

The same goes for many of those whose 'anonymity' you habitually complain about. For example, I'm known personally by a few snowHeads - and I don't even attend bashes or other sH-organised events.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
But I've never complained about you. It's only an issue when anonymity is used to air dirty and untrue laundry about other people, and that sort of thing.

laundryman wrote:
I'm known personally by a few snowHeads

Alternative responses to that remark:

"Would you care to name these people please" or
"Thank you. In that case, you are most welcome to the Athaeneum Club"
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
George W. Bash, or when people disagree with you in an effective manner?

Posting under two different names in a single thread outside the AZ is - in my opinion - pathetic and pointless and potentially confusing to those snowHeads who don't know what you are up to.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
George W. Bash wrote:
But I've never complained about you.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=659765#659765
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
George W. Bash, and Ernst Goldsmith, ... I think you can find all the info you fancy here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=17700&highlight=avalanche+cords .... maybe Amnesia has set in???
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What a douche!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999, sadly yes. Let's try again:

Finding a needle in a haystack isn't easy, but it can be easier if it's ...

... tied to a length of bright red thread.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman wrote:
George W. Bash wrote:
But I've never complained about you.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=659765#659765

Ah but that was David Goldsmith not George W Bash or the abysmal punheador whatever the latest moniker is.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 22-03-10 11:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dude you know I was talking about you.

To be fair it's an interesting topic (to me at least), I just can't understand why you'd create a new profile to start it though, that's for scitzophrenics(sp?) and loosers...

Have you seen the avalanche balls though? like an avalanche cord but wih a big red ball on the end, you attach it to your backpack and fire it (by pulling a strap) if you get caught... looked like a good idea, I nearly bought on on ebay a while back, until the price rocketed.
snow report
George W. Bash, (or Earnest, or whatever you're calling yourself today): if you want to tie string to your feet, you go right ahead and do so - no-one's stopping you. (Though what use it could possibly be in London I don't know, but each to his own.) But why keep banging on about the same tedious old garbage on a forum where everyone's heard it all before and no-one's interested? What's the point?
ski holidays
clarky999, there have been various things like that which supposedly float better than a cord. But I imagine that a low-density strong cord will float well anyway. Essentially it's the least complicated solution. The longer is it (within reason) the greater the chance that a bit of cord will be visible on the snow surface, or be found with an initial dig/search.

clarky999 wrote:
I just can't understand why you'd create a new profile to start it though, that's for scitzophrenics(sp?) and loosers...

I've been called worse than a schizophrenic loser on this forum before now. Thanks for the relative compliment.
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
But why keep banging on about the same tedious old garbage on a forum where everyone's heard it all before and no-one's interested?

I should think it's a couple of years since we've discussed avalanche cords. If you don't want to discuss them, nobody's forcing you.

Since that time, more people have died - perhaps avoidably - because they've not been found in time. Some of these people may not have wished to invest in a transceiver, but might be alive today if they'd had an avalanche cord tied to them.

It's just a theory.
snow report
Dont bite and dont respond to his threads its that easy ! We all know he now has 1398 logins.

His latest George W. Bash, only started this weekend and he already has 31 posts - it will double each day as his addiction sets in and then he'll change it once again...................................bored !
latest report
Smokin Joe, Yep -- time for you to start flagging the opposite of "snowHeads Gold" I think. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, aye - snowHeads dangly bits !
snow conditions
You people should acknowledge the fact that hundreds or thousands of people will have joined this forum since avalanche cords were last discussed.
Before shouting out the subject, for no good reason, at least let a discussion commence.

Avalanche cords disappeared from manufacture/sale for no clear reason. Maybe they should be sold in combination with every transceiver, since no single solution works all the time in every situation.
ski holidays
George W. Bash, Ok - let's start that thread when you actually show us a single bit of evidence that Avalanche Cords are effective for skiers.

In order that other posters can understand where you are coming from, and your expertise (other than your huge and admired knowledge of the history of skiing), I think you should also:

1) Please tell us whether you ski with a shovel and probe when skiing off piste.
2) Tell us if you have skied off-Piste in the last 5 years.
latest report
Well, of course a length of bright red (potentially fluorescent) cord visible on the snow is going to help enormously, if it has succeeded in floating on the surface of debris.

As for my credentials, don't be ridiculous. I've skied since 1959, including extensive off-piste on four continents. Even if I hadn't, the 'credentials game' would be ridiculous. This is a simple logical argument.
snow report
Your whole negative argument against cords seems to be based on a certainty that they would be buried as deeply as the victim. Even if the cord is fully buried it might well be found in an erroneous dig, thus immediately boosting the search potential and reducing the recovery time .... especially if a proximity indicator on the cord shows that the victim is nearby.
ski holidays
George W. Bash wrote:
an erroneous dig

riiiight
latest report
Quote:

Ok - let's start that thread when you actually show us a single bit of evidence that Avalanche Cords are effective for skiers.

Hook, line, sinker, half the jetty and a narrow escape for the fisherman. Come on, you should know better. Laughing
snow report
George W. Bash, wrong on both fronts.

Not everything that seems sensible from an intuitive POV actually works. Oxygen given to premature babies (sounds good) can make them go blind (not so good...).

If the cord were to tie a skiers arms or legs together, or the act of deploying it took time which might have been better used discarding poles/making swimming motions etc etc, a cord might actually make things more dangerous. The onus here is on you to provide any research suggesting threads actually do work for skiers.

As regards current experience - I believe it is relevant. In the last 10-20 years approaches to avalanche avoidance, burial detection, and even digging technique have changed. If you are also a chap who feels that red string would help, but are unwilling to carry a shovel to help dig other people up, I think that might help people understand the basis of your thinking.

Peeps - I wouldn't answer this stuff - except we know that DEG sometimes interprets lack of counter-argument as agreement. Sad

David why are you doing this and peeing your remaining credibility up a wall? Is this an example of the journalism you believe in and which you think is at the heart of snowHeads?

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 22-03-10 12:22; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stoatsbrother, but do you really care whether or not he thinks you agree with him? Let's face it, he's just some random delusional loony who likes to spend his time spamming internet forums - he's hardly either important or influential.
ski holidays
Sorry, I'm not going to blow a few thousand quid on some ski trips to qualify myself to have a discussion with you. You'd probably insist that I go to Jackson Hole and bungee jump into Corbett's Couloir or something.

You're now advancing desperate arguments in the second para. Yes - an avalanche cord could conceivably strangle me, like my mother's umbilical cord.

The third para is totally irrelevant. We are talking potentially about an individual skier, going off-piste but maybe surrounded by other skiers. An avalanche victim can potentially be dug out with bare hands - how many people carry shovels anyway? And, yes, obviously it's public-spirited or reasonable for skiers to carry shovels, if they expect equivalent rescue from others.

This is not about my credentials, my responsibilities to others, your insistence on 'getting personal' or anything else.

It's about whether or not a long length of bright red cord (not string, for heaven's sake) could save a life or a hundred lives. It's high time there was a fresh evaluation of the concept with modern materials and creativity towards solving the stowage problem.

Please stick to facts and objective argument. We sometimes find important stuff by following trails of blood on surfaces - same difference.
latest report
Quote:
Please stick to facts and objective argument

Laughing Laughing Laughing glad to see irony is not dead....

I'm out of this thread. We have seen you do this before. I think the lack of evidence and logic in your argument is now clear to everyone - except you. A bit sad really. Sad
snow conditions
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

we know that DEG sometimes interprets lack of counter-argument as agreement
I've never understood why this actually matters.

Oh, sorry, just seen that Lizzard has effectively said the same thing.
ski holidays
Thanks. All female intuition and intelligence welcome.

I'm convinced that there's a Freudian side to this cord/life/survival/discovery thing.
latest report
snow conditions
George W. Bash wrote:

Avalanche cords disappeared from manufacture/sale for no clear reason.

International conspiracy. See also 9/11, death of Princess Di etc.
snow conditions
davidof, Thanks. Brilliant.

George W. Bash, once you have read that would you like to retract your statement that para. 2 of this invoked "desperate arguments"? I suspect somehow you won't! Toofy Grin
latest report
George W. Bash, funny how you disappear when proven wrong... wink
snow report
David is at liberty to disagree with the article. Dale Atkins is a pretty well known avalanche expert but I will point out that he works for Recco.
latest report
I realised who this was when I read the OP, but I found the concept interesting and I hadn't seen it discussed before. Sorry stoatsbrother, I'm going to humor him for the moment, and you do know I am sympathetic to your cause re: DG on many occasions, but I only want a small discussion out of it and this isn't about Tamsin Conditions for once. My immediate thought was this sounded a similar concept to using a powder ribbon to find a ski that is lost whilst Off Piste. In fact if a skier caught off piste in an avalanche was using a powder ribbon I guess there is a chance that this would deploy in a similar manner if it didn't break as I guess most skiers would loose their skis in an avalanche. I would imagine that breakage would be the biggest problem though and could lead to false searches and wasted time only to find a broken cord end and the buried skier 300 ft away. I wonder if a dye cannister which would break on impact would be any use in leaving a trail that would lead to a skier.............................................
ski holidays
Megamum, that might be a better idea.

Or we could fit the skier with a direction finding radio system detectable at 40 to 70m Wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy