Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Turns / carving question

Poster: A snowHead
Spent a week with new gen on a Level 5 course in Courchevel. Their headman spent the whole week insisting we 'bend ze knees' / crouch into the turn, stand on the turn and return lower as you come out of it / go into the next. The critical bit was the standing on the turn. I can see the sense of it and the turns felt stable, but it was tiring bobbing up and down all the time.

None of the BASI / ski club videos mention this. They say the important thing is to keep evenly weighted over the centre of the skis, leaning into the turn. Am interested to improve my carving and think I've got a rhythm which doesn't involve bobbing up and down. so would welcome views.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
He's getting you to extend your legs into the fall line more, straighter extended leg means you can edge more and allows higher performance. The "up/down" bit eventually allows you to deal with the pressures generated by speed/turn shape as well as move your body to balance on the ski.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
forwood wrote:
... think I've got a rhythm which doesn't involve bobbing up and down. so would welcome views.

I'm interested in what this rhythm is.

I agree with what your NewGen instructor was trying to do, and the explanation given by DaveC. The biggest problems I see in people trying to carve effectively are too little movement laterally to develop good enough edge angles, too little flexion and extension to create or manage pressure, and too much rotation so the transition from one set of edges to another isn't clean.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get the impressin many skiers think flexion and extension are for old school straight skis. I guess for genetle piste cruising not much flexion / extension is possible but for higher performance or most stuff off piste then the trouble will really begin.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In lay person's terms, that was how I was taught to ski back in the 80s on long skinny skis. I see a distinct difference between old school and new school skiers and what the latter tend to do seems a lot 'lazier'. Sounds like your New Gen instructor is trying to impart some elegant old school techniques which may equip you very well in the long term.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia, Nope, the instructor was not in any way teaching forwood to ski old school.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
forwood, vertical up and down evolves into lateral stretching and contracting when performance skiing. The timing of the start of it determines if you cross-over/through/under. In the first part of the turn leg extension (off a good solid edged platform!) facilitates projection of the centre of mass in the appropriate direction, inclination and bigger edge angles, as well as generating pressure on the turning ski early so that most of the turn occurs in the first part of the turn (typical racing comma). In the latter part of the turn it enables the skier to manage the forces resulting from the turn and facilitates the unimpeded flow of the centre of mass across the skis for the next turn. This is also actually much less tiring than maintaining a static or park and ride position when trying to ski fast.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
forwood, you mention carving in your op - but were your lessons carving specific or more general to improve you all round skiing ?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rjs, OK fair enough. I was just commenting that the up and down thing seems fairly rare in 'new' skiers. Certainly in my small group of ski buddies it's pretty evident which of us learned 20-odd years ago and which more recently. It's not just the up and down thing but also the knees together (I remember a lesson where we had to hold our hats between our knees and keep them there!) stance. In my day it were all just fields. Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow - thank you for all your detailed and quick responses. Flexion and extension - got that! rob@rar, the nearest description of that rhythm is similar to ice skating, shifting weight onto the hip / leg that's pushing forward into the turn and stretching the upper body with it, almost a side to side dancing movement. Hard to explain but seems to work - I think there is some flex / ext in it but not self consciously up and down, more relaxed. Perhaps it is as slikedges, suggests, an evolution to the lateral stretching and contracting. I can't do it all the time yet but when it happens, it's great!

Responses on needing this to manage performance in more difficult and steeper conditions chime with what the instructor said so am greatly reassured and will keep practising. The surprising thing is that the Skiing Skills videos: Beginners and Beyond & Piste Performance don't mention it.

david@mediacopy, the lessons were general. There were 5 of us, but I particularly wanted to pick up on carving and excellent instructor that he is, tried to give us all what we wanted. The flex/ ext was his central theme for the week with all of us though, as most were just getting off the sliding turn to use edges more. My only complaint was that he kept attributing my success to my new K2 Recons rather than my ability Happy

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 23-03-10 3:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
forwood, My level 3 ESF instructor taught us exactly the same thing this year. Crouch, rise (just after a pole plant), crouch. Initially I thought it was old school too, but the technique definitely applies to modern carver skis and I was skiing much smoother and faster by the end of the week.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Was taught the same thing by a BASS instructor - found it really useful.

Now whenever I get on my ski's on that first day, this exercise(with the pole plant as described by the above poster) is the first thing I do... gets my confidence back and quickly becomes second nature.....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen bodecia, The up and down movement is certainly *not* a New Nu Skool method! This is a standard method of practice and if you're seeing people who are NOT doing this then it says more about them than modern skiing itself! In addition, why would you keep your knees together like a 60 year old Frenchman? wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alexandra, So are you saying that up and down movement is good.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jimmjimm, its essential for good skiing and I don't understand how anyone can get by without it.

http://youtube.com/v/TTboYL8CjaU&feature=related

This video illustrates where the up down movement should come quite nicely
snow conditions
rambotion, otoh I don't see Ted Ligety doing much up-down in this clip here:

http://youtube.com/v/yW4r27teE9E&feature=related

Smile
snow conditions
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
rambotion, otoh I don't see Ted Ligety doing much up-down in this clip here:

http://youtube.com/v/yW4r27teE9E&feature=related

Smile

The up down movement is practice to get you to ski like this..... It translates to the body remaining level and the legs do the up/down movement.... if you cant see it in this clip then get down to specsavers Shocked
ski holidays
Or Svindal doing any here.

http://youtube.com/v/WI-2-iZEvoQ
I would say it's essential for good skiing to eliminate up and down movement.
Legs flexing and extending is totally different to the body moving up and down.
snow report
Sideshow_Bob, does extend and flex though, not up and down but laterally stretching and contracting, with largely cross-through and cross-under
ski holidays
jimmjimm wrote:

Lateral extension and flexion is very difficult to teach if a client can't move "up and down". I spend a lot of time trying to increase client's range of movement (whether that has a big lateral component or a big 'vertical' component [it should actually be at right angles to their skis rather than vertically up and down]), and it is something that I teach to beginners as soon as they are doing snowplough turns (it's very much a part of the BASI Central Theme progression).
ski holidays
daehwons, thanks but I'm perfectly aware of cross-over, cross-under and cross-through. rolling eyes My point was quite simple, vertical movement in itself is not essential.
ski holidays
forwood wrote:
rob@rar, the nearest description of that rhythm is similar to ice skating, shifting weight onto the hip / leg that's pushing forward into the turn and stretching the upper body with it, almost a side to side dancing movement. Hard to explain but seems to work - I think there is some flex / ext in it but not self consciously up and down, more relaxed. Perhaps it is as slikedges, suggests, an evolution to the lateral stretching and contracting. I can't do it all the time yet but when it happens, it's great!

Yes, sounds like you are developing a more lateral component to your movement, which is an essential skill if you are do steer your skis by tipping them on to their edges rather than twisting them. In terms of teaching and what your NewGen instructor was trying to do with the class as a whole, it's very difficult to get skiers to have large lateral movements if they have no "up and down" movement.
ski holidays
rob@rar,
Quote:

developing a more lateral component to your movement, which is an essential skill if you are do steer your skis by using their edges rather than twisting them

Sigh. Embarassed
ski holidays
forwood wrote:
The surprising thing is that the Skiing Skills videos: Beginners and Beyond & Piste Performance don't mention it.

I've not watched that for a few months but I'd be very surprised if it didn't talk about leg extension at the start of the turn and leg flexion at the end of the turn.
snow report
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
daehwons, thanks but I'm perfectly aware of cross-over, cross-under and cross-through. rolling eyes My point was quite simple, vertical movement in itself is not essential.

I wasn't saying you didn't..... I was trying to point out to 'everyone' that the up/down that is tought gets your legs moving in the right direction. I can't think of any way to teach someone to ski dynamically right away
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
jimmjimm wrote:

Lateral extension and flexion is very difficult to teach if a client can't move "up and down". I spend a lot of time trying to increase client's range of movement (whether that has a big lateral component or a big 'vertical' component [it should actually be at right angles to their skis rather than vertically up and down]), and it is something that I teach to beginners as soon as they are doing snowplough turns (it's very much a part of the BASI Central Theme progression).

Agree with Rob (the bits I followed anyway), but I think a big point generally missed in lesson post mortem is that the tactic rarely is the desired outcome, especially in higher end skiing. Being asked to go "up and down" in whatever respect is an acquisition stage of a much larger skillset. So, jimmjimm's quote is likely picking an irrelevant hole in the introduction to the concept rather than a cardinal rule.

As for being able to ski without flexion/extension, I'm sure new skis and tight sidecuts allow the user to get reasonable performance out of their skis - however, the question is if the user is in balance throughout the turn, or, if the user is in control at all times. It's easy to incline into the hill faster and faster, and hold on to the momentum until it brings you round. It's a pretty common issue, that gets smaller with higher skill levels rather than can be quick-fixed with a drill or two.
snow report
rob@rar, am getting on for the 4/5th time of watching those videos and it's not something that came across at all. Is why I asked the question! But now I know the lingo, I'll listen out again....
snow report
You guys might find this link helpful. In it I demonstrate 3 different forms of transition: Cross Over, Cross Under, and Cross Through.

http://www.yourskicoach.com/YourSkiCoach/C.html

Each of these transitions has it's individual advantages and shortcomings, and each is a legitimate option in modern skiing. forwood, the transition I believe your instructors were working on with you was Cross Through. In that transition the extension of the outside leg during the turn is crucial to get the Center of Mass back over the feet. One of the most common problems for people who use this transition is not getting the outside leg long and strong, and the pelvis remains perpetually in the back seat.

Let me know if you have any questions about these 3 transitions if you can't find the answer in what I've written about them in the link.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

for higher performance or most stuff off piste then the trouble will really begin.

the French instructor I had a private lesson with in January, with the specific objective of skiing off piste, spent the first half of the lesson on the piste, getting me to have much more dynamic vertical movement. Then in the powder, he laid down the line to follow, then stood at the bottom waving his stick up and down and yelling - when I managed to synchronise my movements with the stick, and the shouts, it worked. That wasn't all the time, though, and as soon as I "lost it" it went to pieces, though I generally stayed on my feet. I now try to practice that on piste at least once a day (as there's no powder to practise it in right now...).
latest report
I think the critical thing to bear in mind is that there is no one single perfect way to ski - good instructors concentrate on building a skillset or toolkit which enable you to adapt in various circumstances. Each "school" will have its own foibles, gimmicks etc over what is the magic bullet. So it is fairly pointless saying "but school X/video X didn't show me me that".
ski holidays
fatbob, exactly right. Have as many skills available to you as you can develop, then use them in whatever way you want to get down the hill in safety and having fun.
snow report
fatbob, rob@rar, Funny, we are only talking about this last night at my local slope.
snow conditions
fatbob hits nail on head. I think this is probably the most confusing aspect of skiing for the beginner.
latest report
FastMan, thanks for posting the link. I had been following this thread, but had got a little confused with some of the terminology ... but the link has simplified things nicely.

I'd be interested to know in which situations you'd use each of the three options? I had a weeks worth of lessons in Tignes at the start of the season and the instructor was keen for me loose what he called the 'pop' between turns - which I was using to un-weight the skis. Instead, he had me working on a cross-through (although he didn't actually give it a name at the time). I certainly found that this made a massive improvement to my skiing ... but in what circumstances does a cross-over has it's benefits?
latest report
abj wrote:
but in what circumstances does a cross-over has it's benefits?
Steeper terrain, and perhaps old-school Powder Ss where a lot of bounce helps.
snow report
daehwons wrote:
I can't think of any way to teach someone to ski dynamically right away

Teach each turn as a fall* to the inside?

* with a catch at transition.
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
daehwons wrote:
I can't think of any way to teach someone to ski dynamically right away

Teach each turn as a fall* to the inside?

* with a catch at transition.

Too intimidating for many beginners I think.
ski holidays
This has turned into the new inner tip lead thread. I understood the first few posts there and then it meandered off into incomprehensible technical territory. Is it wrong to just ski and not think about the technicalities of it all? Laughing
ski holidays
queen bodecia, FastMan's link is truly not incomprehensible. For me, so long as someone explains to me WHY I'm doing something - which rob@rar and skimottaret unfailingly do, and as FastMan does on his videos, all in a manner which can be understood by a non-scientist - I'm up for giving anything a whirl. And I do think, though others are better placed to judge, that my skiing has improved as a result.
ski holidays
Thanks for that FastMan. Looking at your examples I think I'm actually doing the cross over but with not quite as much extension as you get there. Cross through looks cool. Would also like to know when it's more appropriate to use these different skills. If I were to guess. cross 'through' looks like its for fast downhill, 'under' for steeps and 'over' for cruising?

V helpful site btw
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy