Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer ski storage

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
No more skiing for me until next winter, I'm afraid. So I've unclipped the skis from each other, shoved them up the attic and stood them on their tails at ~20 degrees from vertical with the tips leaning on a piece of wood. I'll get them waxed and sharpened just before they're used next season.

Am I doing this right or are there subtleties to ski storage of which I'm ignorant? They seem to have survived being treated in this way for the past few summers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds very complicated. Mine are in their ski bag under my bed (can't lift them through the loft hatch). What are the issues involved with storage?

Hoping I might actually use mine sporadically over the summer on fridge visits anyway.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As long as they're dry when you store them they'll be fine in whatever you use to transport them to/from resort.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Best to get them edged and storage waxed before you put them away.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mine are up against the office wall, reminding me why I work.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gsb wrote:

Is there a benefit to edging them before storage rather than after? And what does storage wax achieve other than an income for the waxer?

My other concern with keeping them up the attic is summer heat. Skis are obviously built to withstand the cold, but is heat likely to be problematic?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonny Jones wrote:
gsb wrote:

Is there a benefit to edging them before storage rather than after? And what does storage wax achieve other than an income for the waxer?

My other concern with keeping them up the attic is summer heat. Skis are obviously built to withstand the cold, but is heat likely to be problematic?

IMHO no advantage to edging them beforehand, storage wax supposedly prevents the skis drying out, some years I have just dried the skis out after their last trip and they have been fine the next year, without storage wax etc etc

Personally I wouldn't put them in the attic as it can get *VERY* hot up there....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agree with some of the above posters, storage wax only benfits the person applying it financially.

I just make sure the skis are dry and chuck em under the bed. They are desinged to work at at -40C plus, when jumping 30 feet from a cliff, when covered in frozen snow etc etc am pretty sure they can handle a british summer under my bed Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles, Laughing ...i like the way you're thinking ^^^^

okbye
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Storage wax is dead easy to apply - do it yourself... Just apply a decent layer of basic wax and allow it to run down to coat the edges...

The extra wax over the edges protects them from rust etc...

When you want to go ski run a scraper over the skis
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queen bodecia wrote:
Sounds very complicated. Mine are in their ski bag under my bed

Make sure they are bone dry. It's a classic mistake to leave them in a zipped up plastic ski bag after a trip. The trapped moisture will rust and pit the edges quite badly within a couple of months.

I just leave mine flat on the floor under the bed, waxed or not. I don't think it makes a lot of difference as long as you wax them thoroughly before the next trip.

As for storing them flat on the floor or standing on their tails, I really don't think it makes any difference. If it does I'm not good enough to tell anyway.

Ski storage is not something to stress about too much. The main thing by a long way is to KEEP THEM DRY!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy