Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski size for 6'2" guy? First ever post!

Poster: A snowHead
Good day to you all,

Apologies for the fact that my first post is the old ski size chestnut!

I'm 6'2", weigh 88kg and am just parallel, skiing red runs. Looking for something all mountain, although I guess 80% of my skiing will be on post.

Am considering whether to buy 1.70s or 1.77s - what's the consensus? I'm progressing quickly so want something that takes that into account!

Any replies much appreciated!

Andy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Andythejock, depends on the ski. A slalom or GS ski you'd go shorter. An all mountain probably longer. Best of all would be to try some out in different lengths and see how they feel.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Andythejock, welcome to snowheads. Skis don't know how tall you are but they do know how much you weigh and how aggressively you ski. I'm 5'9", weigh 780kg, I ski 183cm. You should be looking around the 175 to 180 mark I htink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nbt, WTF???...you weigh "780KG?????"......does your cereal bowl have its own lifeguard?......

okbye
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nbt, You fat bar steward Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowpatrol wrote:
nbt, WTF???...you weigh "780KG?????"......does your cereal bowl have its own lifeguard?......

okbye

I'm still crying as I type Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And to answer your question AndytheJock, I'd go with the 170cm.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yup, you're either a tad lardy or you make arnie look weedy! wink

Seriously, it's surprising there isn't just a chart showing w hat an intermediate skier of a given height at average weight should need.

Any 6 footers on here? What are you skiing?

Thanks for the replies/banter! Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
183 for someone measuring 175 cms is very long, being longer in fact than you are tall.. I would reckon, Andythejock, at your 188 cms on a ski between 170 and 175 for all round stuff and given your stage of development would go with the suggestion of 170.

I am in fact your height and almost your weight and currently ski on 175 Salomon Crossmax. New skis scheduled for next season are likely to be Salomon X- Wing Tornado TI at 173cms. I've tried them on and off-piste. The ski suits me well as an advanced skier and the length was fine.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Andythejock wrote:

Any 6 footers on here? What are you skiing?

189 Preachers, 189 Crusades, 190 Redeemers, 193 Pures ....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
oh, BTW..... I'm 4'3"
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mike Pow, Me too! Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike Pow wrote:
And to answer your question AndytheJock, I'd go with the 170cm.

Cheers Mike. Can you say why? Wouldn't know either way myself of course. I guess this is based on experience and on what others you know are skiing?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Like most people who learned to ski before the advent of shaped technology, longer was the way to go.

At 188cm (6' 2") and around 100kg (220lbs) at the time I was given a pair of 195cm to learn on. At the end of the season I bought a pair of 210cm and thought I was the poo-poo. In reality, I was poo-poo. That was 1994.

Fast forward to 1997 and I got a pair of Dynastar Yeti's in 190cm as my first touring ski. The drop in length was working for me.

After a couple of full seasons I got a pair of Volkl G4s mounted with Dynafit bindngs in a 198cm as my do-it-all ski. In what would now be classed as a mid-fat the shape did more for my skiing than the length.

I started my CSIA instructor training in 2001 and over the course of two winters went from this 198cm ski to a Dynastar 74 in 184cm. The skiing improved as a consequence of training, reduced length and more shape.

In the 2005/06 season I had my biggest breakthrough when I listened to Annie Black, my PSIA trainer at Keystone, and dropped to a 170cm slalom ski - Salomon Equipe, 125-65-109

I moved to Hokkaido the folowing winter and rode these skis in all conditions for another season and a half until one snapped. Superb ski, but maybe too much for some.

I now ski on a 173cm Blizzard mid-fat but would have gone back to a 170cm slalom ski - Atomic - this past winter if I had returned to Hokkaido.

A ski in the 170-175cm range with a shovel in the 122 to 128mm range and a waist between 65 and 78mm allows me to pivot my skis easily when I need to and also to pure carve when conditions and terrain allow. I'm still 188cm, but with a backpack with photographic equipment and all the rest that goes in a backpack I must be tipping the scales at around 120kg (264lbs).

For someone of your ability, size and weight I would recommend the K2 Explorer in a 170cm or the two skis that have taken my interest for next winter:

Head iTitan
126-78-114, 13.5m radius @ 170cm
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=61979

Nordica Fire Arrow 74
126-74-109, 14.5m radius @ 172cm

Hope that helps.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 22-03-10 11:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was skiing long ski's for my first 3 weeks of skiing. Last weekend a friend (who is 6ft 4in) suggested I move to a 170 ski (i'm 6ft 2in) The difference was actually really noticeable. Now, If I get my own skis (which I will this year) I will be going for a 170 (and probably the X wing's)
latest report
Mike Pow wrote:
Like most people who learned to ski before the advent of shaped technology, longer was the way to go.

At 188cm (6' 2") and around 100kg (220lbs) at the time I was given a pair of 195cm to learn on. At the end of the season I bought a pair of 210cm and thought I was the poo-poo. In reality, I was poo-poo. That was 1994.

Fast forward to 1997 and I got a pair of Dynastar Yeti's in 190cm as my first touring ski. The drop in length was working for me.

After a couple of full seasons I got a pair of Volkl G4s mounted with Dynafit bindngs in a 198cm as my do-it-all ski. In what would now be classed as a mid-fat the shape did more for my skiing than the length.

I started my CSIA instructor training in 2001 and over the course of two winters went from this 198cm ski to a Dynastar 74 in 184cm. The skiing improved as a consequence of training, reduced length and more shape.

In the 2005/06 season I had my biggest breakthrough when I listened to Annie Black, my PSIA trainer at Keystone, and dropped to a 170cm slalom ski - Salomon Equipe, 125-65-109

I moved to Hokkaido the folowing winter and rode these skis in all conditions for another season and a half until one snapped. Superb ski, but maybe too much for some.

I now ski on a 173cm Blizzard mid-fat but would have gone back to a 170cm slalom ski - Atomic - this past winter if I had returned to Hokkaido.

A ski in the 170-175cm range with a shovel in the 122 to 128mm range and a waist between 65 and 78mm allows me to pivot my skis easily when I need to and also to pure carve when conditions and terrain allow. I'm still 188cm, but with a backpack with photographic equipment and all the rest that goes in a backpack I must be tipping the scales at around 120kg (264lbs).

For someone of your ability, size and weight I would recommend the K2 Explorer in a 170cm or the two skis that have taken my interest for next winter:

Head iTitan
126-78-114, 13.5m radius @ 170cm
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=61979

Nordica Fire Arrow 74
126-74-109, 14.5m radius @ 172cm

Hope that helps.

Good day to you Mike - yes, that certainly does help! Thanks v much for taking the time to explain all of this.

Will check on avilability and prices for the Skis you mention.

Was thinking of The k2 Apache Raiders as Nevisport in Aviemore recommended them (they were being pretty straight as they didn't actually have any in - I'd have to get them elsewhere. They also suggested the X wings as refrred to by Markon).

Anybody know what the difference is between the K2 Explorers and the Apache Raiders?

PS Mike - One of my pals has been skiing for over 25 yrs, is 5'6" and still prefers his non carver 190 Dynastars circa circa 1990 . He can outski an awful lot of people on those though - he was around when every season at Cairngorm was like this one, so he and his brother skied every week, every season through his teens (sounds great!)

Andy
latest report
More than welcome.

And after half a day on shaped skis in the 160-165cm range your pal would be in 7th heaven.
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
More than welcome.

And after half a day on shaped skis in the 160-165cm range your pal would be in 7th heaven.

He's tried them and went back to his old skis! Smile
ski holidays
im 6ft 2 and about 98kg and ski on around 175-180 skis in Head Supershape magnum or atomic nomad crimson. skied aout 16 weeks
latest report
Cheers.

Do heavier skiers benefit from longer skis (assuming the same height)?
snow report
Production skis are designed to suit heavier skiers in the longer lengths. Often the difference in stiffness is more noticeable than the difference in length between 2 skis of the same model, but in different lengths. I generally prefer longer skis in the All-Mountain category, around 180-185 cm (I'm 6'1", 88 kg, so almost identical build to you). But I was used to 2m+ straight skis and find all modern skis easy to pivot. So for me the extra float and stability of a longer ski is worth any trade off in agility. But I'd go down to around 175 for a more dedicated piste ski eg. Head Magnum
latest report
One other thing - has anybody heard of Salomon PowerAxes? I'm skiing on them currently and bought them 2nd hand for £60. When I had them serviced I was told they were a good ski, although they'd gone a bit soft.

Have a feeling they may be about 15yrs old!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy