Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So whose responsibility is it then??

Poster: A snowHead
Have just survived the nightmare journey from hell!

Arrived at Turin airport at 15:30 for 18:40 flight home....yes well, tour operators like to get you there early don't they?....checked in and began the long wait. Display board pops up "Expected 18:55"...not too bad? And then the nightmare begins....19:00, 19:30, 20:00....announcement "Technical problems" come and collect your voucher for a meal and drink, display changes to 00:00! At midnight the display starts to change again...01:30, 02:30....finally get away from Turin at 03:15! Just under 12 hours in what is one of the least interesting airports on the planet! On board we are given a free drink from the bar as compensation....who wants a drink at that time in the morning??....no food as it's been hanging round too long and isn't safe.

So my questions are......

What should I expect when there's such a long delay, is it reasonable to be only given one drink in twelve hours....even water cost 1.50 euros and the machines began to run out as you can imagine.

At what point should I be able to demand that they put us in a hotel? I have chronic back ache from trying to sleep on the floor!

Who is responsible for compensating us....placating Monarch stewardess says it's not their responsibility even though it was their plane...claim from Inghams who chartered the flight. Our holiday was with Skitopia who obviously bought seats from Inghams so can I claim from them or should I pursue it with Monarch....we've got lots of expensive mobile phone calls, drinks etc to claim back!

Can anyone advise me on my rights etc.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From what you've written, your contract was with Skitopia. If you want compensation, write them a stiff letter - expect to be fobbed off, but keep complaining. I think there's a good chance you'lll get some compensation.
That said, from past experience, all you could have expected is food vouchers worth a total of - say £11. You might not think the hassle worthwile, and wish to book instead with a more caring operator in future.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think I'm right in saying on scheduled flights (which of course is not the case above) once a boarding card has been issued any delay over 4 hours puts an IATA member airline under obligation to start providing food and drink. Anyone know how long it has to go before you get a hotel bed ?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
By eck, when I were a lad, BOAC would chain us in a cellar for a week while they stuck brown paper over the rotting holes in the wings of the Handley Page V/1500 (circa 1917) converted bomber. We’d survive by eating old cardboard boarding passes and the odd noisy child, drinking the drips from the leaky lavie pipe in the corner.
Put some bone in it lad! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah the good old days of flight. wink I can remember looking at the waves on the Channel through the rivet holes in the floor of some old rattley propellor job. And I once hitched a lift on a military C130 (a Hercules - they're still around) where the only way to pee was to stick your willy into a hole by the rear cargo door and let it go. Talk about the luxury of a long drop. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not ski related, but in 1978, I remember being in Ibiza airport for 28 hours!! I was only 16 at the time, and it was the first holiday abroard that my parents ever took me on. (They had a village shop before then, and never took a day's holiday!!). I recall the August heat and the severe Gastro- Enteritis I'd contracted making me spend nearly the whole time in the loo!! ( Sorry if that's too much information!!)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

the only way to pee was to stick your willy into a hole by the rear cargo door and let it go.

I trust it was the cargo door you let go, and not your willy.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
homphomp, theres something about 12hrs that seems to get most TO's hot under the collar. You should be able to claim compensation from your insurance company as your flight was switched from a day to a night flight, also I think it has to be 12hrs before they put you in a hotel, and even then its pretty much at their discretion. Sounds like a nightmare, but these things do happen, id rather wait 12hrs and get on a plane that was fixed than one which still had "technical difficulties". Ive had a nightmare 11hr, 49min ( just avoiding the elusive 12hrs) stay alone in Gatwick South terminal overnight when I was 16, taught me one thing - ALWAYS BE PREPARED! We ended up in an ex cargo plane operated by Transaer- Irish company, ahhhh the joys of a shaking plane! I may laugh at my mother and her holiday emergency plans, but as she carries enough food and drink to feed a football team shes usually pretty calm over delays.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I know what you mean. A mother may not always carry breast milk, but will always substitute.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Goldsmith,

Quote:

I trust it was the cargo door you let go, and not your willy

Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
homphomp, there is regulatory requirement in place that means you are entitled to food/drink but my hazy memory can't recall the basis of the entitlement or even how many hours have to elapse and even exactly what you're entitled to. You're entitled to a bed after a longer no-go stint, but again my hazy memory isn't any use. In any case, whatever you're entitled to, and the hours after which you're entitled to is, is less than you might expect.

We have a few ex-industry folk amongst Snowheads who would know for sure. Michael B's said he used to run a tour op co, and I think ??not sure, but Snowbunny did/does similar work.

Could those with relevant experience please assist!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hmm. There is a EU directive regulation (EC) No 261/2004 that appears to cover this - if you flew on or after 17 Feb 2005.

Quote:
(5) Since the distinction between scheduled and non-scheduled air services is weakening, such protection should apply to passengers not only on scheduled but also on non-scheduled flights, including those forming part of package tours.

(17) Passengers whose flights are delayed for a specified time should be adequately cared for and should be able to cancel their flights with reimbursement of their tickets or to continue them under satisfactory conditions.

Looking here(click 04compensation11.doc ), at Annex A Long Delays it would appear that:

Quote:
When airlines expect a long delay, they will be obliged to give passengers:
• meals and refreshments, and
• hotel accommodation, when a delay obliges a passenger to stay overnight, and
• reimbursement, when a delay delays a passenger for at least five hours

Under this it would appear to be a direct airline reponsibility to you. So perhaps you should claim from them, and not the TO. If you belong to an organisation like Which? - which gives consumer legal advice as part of its membership, you might want to give them a call. If not, I'd try the Airline, using this info.

I guess we'd all be interested in the outcome.

Good luck
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We had a similar experience in Turin airport a few years back. Our delay was 20 hours and as you say there's not a great deal to do in that airport. We passed the time by boarding and exiting the plane 3 times in the first 10 hours and then had to wait for the parts (new back up artificial horizon) to be flown in from Germany. By midnight the airport was deserted and nothing was open. Fortunately we had the foresight of buying remote control cars which we destroyed over the subsequent 10 hours in a variety of interesting ways. The security were quite good as they only intervened when one of our number tried to set fire to his car. Shocked rolling eyes

On the claim front - Chase who ever you bought your tickets off, give them shed loads of grief but expect to be given the run around.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers guys....interesting that the new EU directive doesn't distinguish between scheduled and charter flights. Think we'll just blast off demands for compensation from everyone at the same time and see what happens!

Nadenoodlee, too true, I'd rather hang about than get on a plane that did an emergency landing due to an engine fault without them carrying out the repairs! I'd just rather do the hanging about in comfort, with food/drink supplied at sensible intervals and preferably from the comfort of a hotel bed!!

Off to the osteopath for the back....now can I claim that too I wonder??
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Think we'll just blast off demands for compensation from everyone

Has to be the best plan.On the basis that all,bar the right one,will refute the claim;and that the 'right one' will try to refute most of the claim,chuck everything in(sink and all)
Rightly,or wrongly,I have always deemed 12hrs to be a 'significant' delay.Below this I personally wouldn't expect too much from any TO.In this day and age,when it can be hard to determine who's flying who,frankly I'm often amazed any of it functions Confused
However,on the basis of nothing ventured,nothing gained-go for the throat Twisted Evil And the best of luck.
ski holidays
Its funny that the airline is Monarch... EVERY time i have flown with them the flight has been delayed in some way or another.on this years trip we were staying for 2 weeks in a chalet and on transfer day halfway through i commented to the rep that the flight would be delayed for the next lot coming in... and guess what...it was (Monarch again)
ski holidays
Maybe it's my European roots--but I always travel with enough food in my handluggage to feed an army--and I invariably get teased about it--(my handluggage usually weighs a ton)--but it has made me friends for life ---of people I have met at airports over the years--we still keep in touch remembering the picnics we shared at airports--munching away the hours of delayed flights--and hearing each other's life stories...so something good can come out of any inconvenience..? NehNeh
ski holidays
I'm not sure that anyone HAS to compensate you, legally. poo-poo happens, as they say. But if they want to keep your business/their reputation, either the TO or the airline might compensate you if you bug them.
snow conditions
homphomp, I think the key phrase in your statement will be "just under 12 hours". Happened to myself and Snowbird in Toulouse. We were delayed just under 12 hours. Treat like convicts by French authorities proding people who had fallen asleep with machine guns as they moved us around the airport. Got back to Manchester at 4.30am in the morning and the car hire office was closed. Brittania paid for a taxi etc to get home. When we looked into it we could claim absolutely nothing. I didnt even get a penny back for the car hire which was lost. Gave up chasing people in the end as it was costing even more money. Sad
ski holidays
kuwait_ian, You would need to watch the C130 'Avenue of urinating pleasure' that you mentioned - Some of the jumpmasters have been known to apply Raljax/Deep heat embrocation, to this aperture for a more interesting afterglow by the user!
snow report
Paul Mason, Aah but now we have the European Directive! Nothing ventured, nothing gained....probably nothing gained but the satisfaction of ranting at someone in a letter!
latest report
homphomp, I looked at the 'Detail' of this recently whilst delayed at Nice airport. The Directive was displayed promimently. (Those enjoyable tasks one must accomplish when all shops are closed!) The devil is certainly in the detail - a tough policy, for the first 3 paragraphs, with great compensation for passengers for + 4 hour delays, or overbooking, but then the fine print allows for almost entire discression with the offending airline!
snow report
Bernard Condon, We too spent a happy time reading the posters about passenger rights but they didn't have the Directive on display - for that you had to ask at the information desk or check-in....do I need to add that both were closed?? I have the joy of reading it tonight....have printed it out so I can quote it in my letters....I think I'll quote the great compensation bit and not mention discretion!
snow report
And the moral of these stories is: BOOK INDEPENDENTLY AND DRIVE! snowHead
snow report
easiski, You don't know how hard we tried to persuade the others in our group to book independently - it's our favourite way to travel - they were dead set on the TO thing! Grrrr.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy