Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Giettaz and Chalet La Giettaz - Trip Report

Poster: A snowHead
This was our first time away from the big French resorts. We found the chalet through SH and it looked WOW! so after a bit of research on the ski area etc we decided to go for the plunge.

We booked flights from Manchester to Geneva, great flight times and just under £200 per person with BMI Baby. Both flights left on time and took half an hour less than the scheduled flight time. On the way out though there were hardly any drinks and no food available, luckily we had had a big breakfast.

Our transfers were booked with resort rides, run by a lovley friendly British couple. They have lots of bottled water on hand and we were allowed to stop for a quick stop for some groceries for the first night. Transfer took about an hour and a half.

The accommodation was excellent,Chalet La Giettaz. It's owned by a small group of investors and run by Miranda and Chris, who live in the Chalet. The Chalet can hold approx 70 people in various sized apartments. We had apartment 11, a three bed apt which could sleep up to eight. We had the three kids sleep in one bedroom, with a cot, so we didn't need to use the sofa bed. The apartment is huge with more storage space than anyone could ever need. On arrival were bottles of red and white wine (one of each), a whole Reblachon, bread and milk. The apartment is really well kitted out - they even have a potato masher, garlic press and toaster Wink though most importantly there was a DVD player with loads of DVD's for adults and children and a Wii with a great selction of games. There's also an ipod docking station. Our apartment was located on the ground floor and lower ground floor, the rooms were huge and as they all had huge windows (most with electric shutters) there was tonnes of natural light. The views were stunning. The apartment was really tastefully furnished with lots of throws, blankets and cushions to make it feel warm and homely. There was even a washer/dryer along with the dishwasher. We spent a couple of nights in the spa, which is completely brand new...half an hour and a glass of wine in the jacuzzi and all my skiing pains melted away. Officially there is a booking system but as it was a quiet week there was no need. There is also a bar in a seperate hut next to the chalet - we ate here one night, but 24hours notice is required. Chris deove us to the large supermarket for our weeks shopping.

The village itself is quite small, only a handful of shops and restaurants. We visited two restaurants and they were both lovely. All the people we met on holiday were genuinely warm and friendly. It was about a 15 minute walk down into the village and a 10 euro taxi ride back, though one night Chris texted us to say he and Mirand were in the village and could give us a lift back - there's service for you!

The chair lift up to the ski area leaves from Le Plan, 5 minutes bus ride away. There's a local free bus and Chris also ferried us around a lot, all included. We bought lift passes which also included Megeve, but we never made it that far as 1. the kids ski lessons meant we had to pop back to Le Plan often and 2. we never had a desire to go as the local ski area was so good. The snow was plentiful and in quite good nick seeing as how there hadn't been any fresh stuff for a while. The local mountain restaurants are fantastic, the food great and it's all a darned site cheaper than anywhere else we have been. There is also a little cafe at the bottom in Le Plan run by the loveliest lady.

Our youngest spent some time in the local creche and didn't want to leave.

Overall, the holiday was fantastic and I really couldn't have asked for more. It was even a pleasure paying for the ski hire as it was so much cheaper than elsewhere.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 22-03-10 9:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shimmy Alcott, sounds terrific. snowHead It's nice to read about people exploring areas of the French Alps other than the big TO factories. Our area ajoins La Giettaz - it's a different ski pass and so far we've not too often wanted to go and pay to ski elsewhere, but we've promised ourselves a day in Combloux and La Giettaz.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, Combloux looked like a great place to have a good mooch around the shops - maybe next time!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shimmy Alcott, good post, sounds fab Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shimmy Alcott, So pleased you had a great time - we would love to see you back in La Giettaz (and thanks for taking the time to write a review - it was a nice surprise to see it on here)! pam w, The La Giettaz/Combloux/Jaillet side of Megeve offers some great skiing so if you - or indeed any other SHs - do find yourself in the area, please give us a shout and pop into the bar at Chalet La Giettaz for a drink. The locals are also always very happy to welcome new faces in the village!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Due to the unprecedented reaction to genuine cynicism on my part, I have retracted my post

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 22-03-10 14:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Voice of Reason, yes, ok, you're right... Shimmy Alcott, paid me to say that we would love to have her back again.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Voice of Reason, Laughing how sad are you. I went somewhere nice that I happened to really like. Unlike all the TO hols before I really enjoyed the personal touch, extra service and the value for money. So I wrote about it. As you only have 156 posts, I will forgive you for not knowing me better.

miranda, Now isn't that strange, you were only saying last week how you dont post on SH much as you see lots of nasty, cynical SH posts. Great shame. Anyway, I have a bone to pick with you...I had far to good a time last week and am now moping around the house wishing I was back.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Due to the unprecedented reaction to genuine cynicism on my part, I have retracted my post

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 22-03-10 14:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Voice of Reason wrote:
Call me cynical,

your far too cynical
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Voice of Reason, She's been here since November rolling eyes If she was trying to pimp her business she would have posted more than 15 posts by now. Stop making SH such an unfriendly site to newcomers.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Shimmy Alcott, Nice report, we try to avoid the big resorts and have been to few smaller resorts and agree, we've found we get much better value for money and more of a personal service, what are the lift queues etc like there? and were the buses rammed or could you get a place easily?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
feefee, Lift queues were non existant snowHead buses were almost empty but they weren't running that often...I dont know if they run more often in busier weeks...Miranda can probably let you know. The chalet also has its own mini bus so we were never stuck anywhere though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Voice of Reason, I have no links with the chalet, and I've never met either of the posters you are being so rude to. However, I do know the area, I've been through La Giettaz lots of times, I've had a drink out of season at the bottom of the chairlift there, and I know other people who know the area (notably Annie, a SH who spent a season in St Gervais and found La Giettaz was her favourite part of the whole domain). I have no doubt whatsoever that the post from Shimmy Alcott (hardly a new poster.....) is entirely genuine and heartfelt. Just sod off and go and grumble and stir somewhere else.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
it looks really nice! we booked a place through SH's last year, just a weekend break but that was nice too Very Happy
snow conditions
feefee, It is, and I shouldn't really be telling people because I will only be driving up the price Laughing

pam w, Thanks for that "voice of reason" lol
snow conditions

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 22-03-10 14:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
miranda, you are very welcome on Snowheads please don't be put off by The Voice of Reason rolling eyes
ski holidays
The Voice of Reason, I disagree with you, I posted a similar report last year after booking through a SH, they replied to thank me, no-one accused them of pimping, in fact if we are lucky to find some lovely places to stay via this forum of course we will follow up with a report, whats wrong with that? We stayed in Muchlbach with the Fletchers if you care to have a look!
ski holidays
The Voice of Reason wrote:
Call me cynical, but this whole thread smells of something.......

the bull$41t in your posts?
snow conditions
Arno, Laughing
snow conditions
Laughing I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to have organised this 'convenient thread' with Shimmy Alcott, alone, or whether pam w, ,sarah, and feefee, are all in on the conspiracy too...

La Giettaz is incredibly quiet throughout the season. On a normal day, there are absolutely no queues and it is not uncommon in January and March to find yourself completely alone on a piste. If you're confident off-piste, then you really will have the place to yourself. There is an increase in skiiers during the February school holidays, when the buses are much more frequent so there is still plenty of room on them. The only queues of the season are during half term: 10-minute waits at the main chairlift first thing in the morning and first thing after lunch. Once you're up the mountain, there are no queues (and actually, if you're happy on a steep drag lift you can even bypass these 2 holiday ski school queues at the main chairlift to get up there). The free village buses stop directly outside the chalet, and we have a minibus and a car at our disposal for guests so - as there is free storage for your skis at the bottom of the lift - getting from the chalet to the top of the mountain is a very stress-free process.

I would be very happy to honestly answer any more questions about the local area or about our chalet if you are interested in either of them - please feel free to PM me if you would rather avoid stoking The Voice of Reason, 's boredom (sorry, I mean 'cynicism' wink ) again...
snow report
The Voice of Reason, don't be such a prat. It's no different to anyone else writing a report on a service they've received, such as from Easiski, CEM, InsideOut Skiing and then the recipient coming on to post thank you.

miranda, ignore the Voice of Reason. Who isn't.

Shimmy Alcott, sounds a lovely holiday and a nice apartment. Glad you had such a great time snowHead
snow conditions
miranda, no chance of ski in/out then?? All sounds very appealing apart from the bus bit!
latest report
i also find myself oddly drawn to this place. i checked out the website and liked what i saw... maybe it IS a subtle piece of pimping Wink
snow conditions
The Voice of Reason, here is my trip report from my Jan ski holiday Nereides. It was a Pierre & Vecances property so with their back hander I managed to build the conservatory Toofy Grin
ski holidays
kitenski, to be honest, before I came here I'd always been in a ski in/ski out place and wasn't sure that a 5-min car or bus journey to the pistes was very appealing either - sounded like a faff to me! However, because you can leave your boots and skis at the bottom of the lift and there are no queues there, it's all very easy. Most of our clients have had cars with them because it's an easy drive from Calais or Geneva (or because they've been French or Swiss) and there is plenty of free parking at the bottom of the lift and at the chalet. For those without cars, however, we do run an 'on demand' pick up service and the bus does stop right outside the chalet, so no walking in ski boots, no carrying of skis, and no queuing goes some way to make up for the lack of ski in/ski out. There is also other accommodation at the bottom of the lifts though... (I'm happy to pimp their business too wink)!
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, Not in the least suprised that you had a fab time, aspam w, says it is SO my favourite bit of the Mont Evasion - though quite fond of all of it. ....and isn't Andrew from resort rides a darling too!! (didn't meet Mel) Now, ssssshhhhh please - dead empty slopes are how I like it!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very classy web site Miranda
snow report
Annie, Indeed he is. And very sensible aswell, he had one last sweep of the mini bus before we departed and found my daughters mobile phone. Incidentally she lost it on the slope aswell. It was found and returned to us within the hour. Doubt that would have happened in Courchevel/La Plagne etc.
snow report
I really enjoyed a day in Combloux/Le Giettaz last week as part of a 4 day trip to St Gervais etc. Lovely, quiet area with long, cruisy runs.
latest report
Quote:

It was found and returned to us within the hour. Doubt that would have happened in Courchevel/La Plagne etc.

one of our guests, a couple of years ago, dropped the keys of his hired car in a heap of snow somewhere, the afternoon before an 0600 start to get back to Geneva. By the time we telephoned the car hire people a local ESF instructor had found them, telephoned Europcar to report the fact, and left a message with them explaining how we could find him to retrieve them. snowHead
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, very good write-up and responses to your stay in La Gieattaz - I have kept the details as its not far from us and we sometimes like places to go and visit, and maybe stay. Sounds as if you had a really lovely time.
snow report
We go to La Giettaz for 4 weeks each season. Best place we've ever skiied.
ski holidays
Do you recommend La Giettaz for kids skiing - beginners? We have a large group looking for something like this next winter (few apartments together that won't cost the earth), but we will have a lot of Under 10s with us. The adults are the full range of abilities...
snow conditions
I'd say yes, plenty of gentle terrain to keep kids occupied. Would also recommend making the trip acros from Jaillet to the rest of the Megeve/St Gervais area for those that are experienced as they may get a bit bored skiing only the jaillet side.
snow conditions
Just wondering - is there a ski school in La Giettaz? English speaking?
ski holidays
Brookside, Yes, there are a couple of English-speaking instructors at the ESF. If you did decide to come to La Giettaz, I would be happy to recommend which instructors to book, whether you decided to stay with us or someone else.

In our experience, our guests who have stayed here have often found the La Giettaz/Combloux/Jaillet area enough. We thought that one of the real selling points of the Chalet was that it had access to the whole 445km Evasion Mont Blanc domain and was only a very short drive from Praz sur Arly (in the Espace Diamant domain) and - as we are above the village on the Route du Col - also from the nearest lifts in La Clusaz, so we provide guests with maps for all of these areas but actually many are happy to stay in La Giettaz/Combloux/Jaillet! Those that have explored all of the skiing options have also been very positive about their stay - so the good thing is the area offers a lot of choice for different ages, desires and needs. For the really good skiiers, it is actually possible to ski all the way off-piste (in the right conditions) from the top of the La Giettaz lift to Praz sur Arly... unfortunately I'm nowhere good enough to have tried this myself!

The guests we've had who have had young kids have found it works really well for them because the ski school and creche are right at the bottom of the ski lift, so they can drop the kids off, get up the mountain, and get back to the kids very easily. Shimmy Alcott, has said in her review that her youngest really enjoyed the creche and we have had two families stay here twice in this same season and repeat book the creche because the kids loved it so much - they did a morning in ski school then an afternoon in the creche making cakes, painting, sledging, playing in the snow garden etc. The creche takes kids from age 1 and the ski school takes kids from age 3.
snow report
snowwidow, as you stay that long and every season, I'm guessing you must have an apartment here (so I am not touting!) - please do drop in and say hi if you fancy and share a drink with us next time you are in the village!
ski holidays
How's the off piste??
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy