Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Race Training At Hemel

Poster: A snowHead
With the success of last summers Race training on Mondays at Hemel, we'll be restarting this on 26th April for anyone interested.

If interest is great enough, a second evening will be set up and run specifically for our more mature racers.

I'm looking to a maximum of 8 trainees per coach but am likely to be running closer to 6 athletes per coach.

This summer it is possible to pay on line as well.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's good news Phil. I've been hoping you'd restart this.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Philbo, i would be interested in a more mature evening Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Philbo, I'm certainly interested - but would have to miss the first week as it clashes with the EoSB
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pity there doesn't seem to be anything like this at Tamworth, Hemel, about a 100 miles to far for a work night!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davkt, If you can overcome any prejudice against plastic, then there is race training every tuesday night at Ackers slope in central Birmingham. [And thursday night if you get good enough.]
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davkt wrote:
Pity there doesn't seem to be anything like this at Tamworth, Hemel, about a 100 miles to far for a work night!

You mean like this.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjs, Will investigate that, but looks like that page is a couple of years old from the info on it (and the snowdome prices!)when I looked Wed night was Ski only and there was only an option called Ski master class which is an informal coaching session for anyone from expert to just passed the snowdome recreational standard!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davkt, Tues night at Chill Factor e, bit closer for you.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sarah, any idea how much ? Tamworth would be better for me but a session at Manchester would be fun now and again.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
david@mediacopy, see website but AFAIK £50 for one session (non-members), £120 for 3, I think you can take them whenever i.e. non-consecutive. I don't race train but son has just been invited to so I am getting to know the ropes a bit.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sarah, ta. Sounds quite pricey but I'll check it out.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks sarah, not quite close enough to get there in time to get kitted out and ready to go by 6 without taking the afternoon off work unfortunately (and way too far to be there in time to start at 7am on a Sunday!)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
david@mediacopy, just to follow up on what sarah said, those are indeed the non-member prices, if you decided to go regularly and pay £100 for annual membership it goes down - can't remember what it is for one session but is £84 for three and they can indeed be any 3 sessions, no need to be consecutive or all tuesdays or all sundays etc Very Happy Tho I guess you might be a bit far away to go regularly enough to make membership worthwhile!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davkt, Try asking Steve at White Mountain, he is the obvious person to run training at Tamworth and took groups to the indoor races last season. He may have just forgotten to update that page of his website.
snow report
Neilski wrote:
Philbo, i would be interested in a more mature evening Smile
Me too. Never done it, though, what sort of standard skier does one need to be, to even contemplate this?
ski holidays
Hurtle, I did a few sessions last year and didn't embarrass myself too much.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
davkt, Try asking Steve at White Mountain, he is the obvious person to run training at Tamworth and took groups to the indoor races last season. He may have just forgotten to update that page of his website.

Have dropped him an email thanks. I'll report back if they are still running. Guess things may change for the summer programme at Tamworth come next month.
snow conditions
RachelQ, thanks - but you're a much better skier than I am!
snow report
Is this related to Hemel ski club? I belong to that, but it looks like I may not be able to make the Hemel training nights, so it would be great to have an alternative.
latest report
snowqueen11, technically it's not, but these session are run by Phil Brown (who's username here is Philbo). These sessions follow on directly from the Club's Monday evening sessions, although a different evening will be found if there are sufficient numbers.
snow report
cool, I'll keep checking this thread, I need all the help I can get Happy
snow report
davkt wrote:
rjs wrote:

Have dropped him an email thanks. I'll report back if they are still running. Guess things may change for the summer programme at Tamworth come next month.

Oh well, have emailed Steve and the other emails on the White Mountain website but no reply so guess it isn't happening any more though will ask at the Snowdome when I take Em for her snowboard fast track lessons next week.
latest report
Did anyone go last Monday? GrahamN perhaps? Am thinking of going tomorrow....
ski holidays
RachelQ wrote:
Hurtle, I did a few sessions last year and didn't embarrass myself too much.

You don't think wink

(No, seriously, you didn't.)
ski holidays
I was intending to be there last week, but buggered my back so could hardly even stand up and had to cancel. Will be there tomorrow and for the next five weeks at least.
snow report
I'll be there tonight. Will give a write-up in case others are thinking of going along.
snow report
FlyingStantoni, Laughing I did say not too much!
GrahamN, sorry to hear that, hope it's mending.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What is the current state of the idea of racing for more mature punters? I've never done any, and hardly ever ski a piste (well, one or two with GrahamN & Co a month ago).

People on this forum tried to persuade me a few months ago to try it and I might.
ski holidays
A good evening to start the summer season with. All the usual kiddie racers were there in their England, Wales and GB kit (most earned, others bought second-hand), most of them seriously flying down. They're all a year older and a year faster than last summer, whereas GrahamN and I are a year older and a year slower. We did a lot of work on smooth turn transitions, pushing the hips forward and straightening the outside leg as the pressure builds up throughout the turn. Quite a few drills then into carrots and finished off with full-size gates. It looked like it could be a baptism of fire for batman123 (or whatever the hell her username is now) and windymiller as all the other skiers each had many years of racing experience, but they both stepped up to the plate and coped superbly, not looking remotely out of place, especially when considering their relative lack of experience. Phil even commented on how well the team badger member skied for someone who hadn't done slalom gates before - think she'll be black and blue tomorrow with the way she was taking out the gates without any protection. Looks like we have a shoo-in for next year's female race already.

snowball, hopefully windymiller can give a write-up when he's back about how he found it and GrahamN is probably better placed than I to comment on suitability for you. I believe there may be more people less experienced in the gates there in weeks to come (I think RachelQ is thinking of coming along) so hopefully Phil can organize a group for the relevant level of ability/experience.
snow conditions
Also I used to have GS race skis 20 something years ago before I got into the off-piste, but obviously don't have any now. Could I do it on my Missions or do you hire out good quality, sharp-edged race skis at a price?
latest report
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
whereas GrahamN and I are a year older and a year slower.
Speak for yourself Smile . I fully expect to be significantly faster this year, as my increasing technical proficiency outweighs the increasing physical decrepitude. Wink

snowball, I think this will do you good. The first 60-75 minutes are detailed technical work, with the final 30-45 mins in courses. This will give you a v very different focus to the off-piste stuff you are used to. Technically it's much more intense and fine-detailed; in short pitches like this every turn counts, and if you make a mistake in a course you either lose a huge amount of time (at best) or simply fail to complete the course. I find it very useful (although clearly it's not well appreciated in some areas of the SCGB, but stuff that), but it's up to you to decide how best to make use of it. Those Missions are probably not the most appropriate skis though - sidecut's OK, but the length and width would make things a bit difficult - I use 155cm slalom skis (although last night 165 would probably have been better). I believe there are some "instructor" skis (Head iSL) available that can be hired for a small sum - I think Flying Stantoni has used them in the past, so you could ask him, or maybe phone the centre directly. If all else fails, I have some rather knackered Heads that I was using last year you could borrow, although the PTEX is a bit bubbled that means the edge grip is not the best.

Anyone interested in coming, it's important to book ahead. Phil has a hard limit of 16 trainees per night, so when it's full it's full. There were about a dozen of us last night. His website acccepts bookings up to that number only, so you can tell if you're in or not. If he's not full he closes bookings at 5:30pm the monday evening.
snow conditions
By the way, not only have I not skied a piste ski (and hardly a piste) for 20 years, but I've not had an actual lesson since I was young (I just sort of picked up carving on my own - but steep skiing the guides do sometimes give tips - taking off from the top foot etc). I really like big freeride turns and reserve little turns for couloirs (People farming always do turns about half the radius I want to do).
However, now I come to think of it you probably only do slalom indoors - I'm not sure if I'd really be interested in that. But out on the mountain where they'd do GS I'd feel I was wasting valuable backcountry time. Hmm, problem.
ski holidays
When I'm back in the UK I'd like to join in with this.
snow report
beanie1, when are you back?
snow report
Really enjoyable session at Hemel last night, I think I speak for both Windymiller and myself when I say it was was a little intimidating to turn up and see so many very good skiers. However, we were never laughed at or made to feel out of place, and I think that through the drills and coaching, both of our skiing improved through the evening. Will hopefully be back again for the forthcoming sessions. Slope wasn't crowded at all, apart from the few beginners who seemed to think it necessary to ski as close to the brushes/gates as possible - few moguls to the bottom of the slope and over towards the right (as you face downhill) though, which they were probably trying to avoid though.

Sideshow_Bob, is correct, skiing into gates with no protection does leave you a little black and blue the next day, but not too bad, can't have been skiing fast enough. Next time maybe Very Happy
snow conditions
Sideshow_Bob, not for at least a year - 18 mths!
ski holidays
Are there any (geriatric) beginners on these courses? (I mean beginners at race training, not beginners at skiing.) If so, I'd be very interested.
ski holidays
Hi Hurtle,
The group is varied but there are some very much less experienced in racing there along with some more mature racers. Last night we worked on some individual issues with all trainees. Using stubby gates rather than full poles, so less intimidating for all concerned.

Why not come along for a session to try it out?
ski holidays
Philbo, thanks so much, I will indeed. What are the next few dates? (Sorry if that info's on the thread and I've missed it.)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy