Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How could piste maps be improved?

Poster: A snowHead
Was just reading the 'Where to ski and snowboard' from 2005, and was interested to see that one of the resorts in Switzerland (Films, a large resort that I had never heard of) used green to mark bits that were flat / traverse / snowboard unfriendly. What a good idea. What else would be useful?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Would be handy to have the names as well as locations of mountain huts instead of just a knife and fork symbol.

Some maps are a little confusing as to direction of travel too, but my La Thuile one from this year had helpful arrows on it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Being a bit OCD, I would like to see lift top and bottom heights.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Piste gradients might help too. In La Thuile they have helpful signs at the entrance to each piste with the steepest gradient. This info could easily be included in the piste list on the piste map, so that you avoid getting to the point of no return if the piste is too steep for comfort. In fairness the La Thuile piste map does have the length and elevation change of each piste, but the steepest gradient percentage would be more useful I think.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ringingmaster, Do they? I went there at half term (Flims/Laax/Falera) and didn't notice. Just looked at the map for this year and it's not on there, perhaps they tried and now don't do it any more. Mind you it wouldn't be the first time WTSS got something wrong wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Colin B wrote:
ringingmaster, Do they? I went there at half term (Flims/Laax/Falera) and didn't notice. Just looked at the map for this year and it's not on there, perhaps they tried and now don't do it any more. Mind you it wouldn't be the first time WTSS got something wrong wink

This was a 2005 book that I picked up for £0.01 on eBay. Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Take away everything except the location of lifts.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Little arrows on the runs and lifts showing which direction they go in. Some maps that attempt to show how runs connect over the top of ridges have pistes and lifts whose direction is actually bottom-to-top on the piece of paper, or nearly horizontal, and it's sometimes tricky to work out at a glance.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JDC, a piste map with no pistes would be utterly pointless.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wot Paulio said. Although I notice some maps do have direction arrows on them, (3V map for example), this should be standard practice.

They should also do high res pdf versions so you can keep them all on your iPhone. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Axsman, shouldn't you be packing Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boredsurfing, shortly! Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd like to see piste maps be exactly that - a map, and not some bl**** picturegram that vaguely looks like it's drawn from the point of view of some passing eagle.

The Good Skiing & Snowboarding guide used to do this but they finally passed over to those blue pictures too.

Add in some altitude colouring like Harvey's and the odd contour and we'd at least have some idea of what was up and down!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 19-03-10 10:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JDC, snowHead possibly the best piste map in the world

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
1. reduce the amount of ads
2. fold them in such a way that you only need to open 1-2 folds to see the map (I always need to totally refold the maps to make them easier/quicker to view)
3. if the ads are reduced, then there'll be enough space again to put piste+lift names back on the same side as the map itself.

Axsman wrote:

They should also do high res pdf versions so you can keep them all on your iPhone

Cross-platform standard files (pdf, html, etc.) are just so last millenium. Can only be a paid-for App on the iphone store. And another paid-for app on the Android store. And another app on the Maemo store. And another app... Wink And the paper map for when your iphone battery goes flat in the cold.
snow report
get rid of them, stop the brutal grooming and have a huge 'in bounds' ski anywhere resort Smile
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
Piste gradients might help too. In La Thuile they have helpful signs at the entrance to each piste with the steepest gradient. This info could easily be included in the piste list on the piste map, so that you avoid getting to the point of no return if the piste is too steep for comfort. In fairness the La Thuile piste map does have the length and elevation change of each piste, but the steepest gradient percentage would be more useful I think.

It would be too misleading, most 'normal' skiers don't really understand much about gradients.
snow conditions
a you are here marker.
snow conditions
Best way to improve them would be to instruct idiots as to how to actually 'read' them. And whilst they are at it, can they teach them how to get off a lift, even if thay were forced into sharing it with a boarder, ooh, and if they wouldn't mind taking a few basic lessons in learning to actually ski/board/whatever as well, that'd be peachy....
ski holidays
I have a 3d map of the 4 valleys, really gives a great understanding of how it all hangs together - on the kitchen worktop.

Totally impractical whilst actually skiing.
latest report
andy, Laughing Actually that screenshot is from a FREE app. wink (no doubt funded by the crystal ad at the bottom).

I always carry two paper maps anyway, but having them on the iPhone is useful because you can look at them before you go, on the plane, at dinner, etc, you can carry maps to every resort you've ever visited or look at them for resorts you are considering, and if like me you need reading glasses you can zoom them to make reading them easier. Laughing
snow report
papasmurf wrote:
a you are here marker.

Ah, that would be THIS iPhone app. (cost 3.50) Laughing
snow conditions
Axsman, not a lot of snow there Shocked
snow report
Boris, Laughing Yes unlike the other app, it uses google maps to draw the scenery and apparently google did their mapping in summer!
snow conditions
Quote:

I have a 3d map of the 4 valleys, really gives a great understanding of how it all hangs together - on the kitchen worktop.

Totally impractical whilst actually skiing.

It must be pretty tricky slicing the bread for your sarnies on a 3D relief map of the 4 Valleys too! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Print them on semi-waterproof or plastic coated paper so they don't disintegrate in your pocket on a damp day or when you've got a bit warm under your jacket. Some literally only seem to last hours unless you want the hassle of sticking them in a plastic bag, a non-tearable paper would be great.
latest report
Megamum, problem with non biodegradable maps is there would probably be 3 tons of them to collect after the snow thaws in May. Laughing
(another benefit of the non-tree consuming electronic versions) Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Axsman It's only a matter of time before the Spring meadows are littered with rusty, cracked i-phones.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tiger2, Apparently the pisties do find quite a few mobile phones each year when the snow has gone. Some of them still working! Laughing
ski holidays
A few years back Lake Louise and Fernie maps were available on a hankie (actually, i think it is a goggle-wipe) - one on each side.

While that is pretty long lasting, printing onto cloth does result in a slightly burrred image. But still not a bad idea as it lasts all season and has a second use. They did cost, however, but only a couple of dollars.
snow report
Yellow Pyranha wrote:
A few years back Lake Louise and Fernie maps were available on a hankie (actually, i think it is a goggle-wipe) - one on each side.

While that is pretty long lasting, printing onto cloth does result in a slightly burrred image. But still not a bad idea as it lasts all season and has a second use. They did cost, however, but only a couple of dollars.

http://www.wipe-out.eu/buy.shtml
ski holidays
ringingmaster, I like those as an idea, I wonder how up to date they keep them.
snow report
They only show green runs, in the end.
snow conditions
laundryman, Laughing
latest report
Megamum wrote:
ringingmaster, I like those as an idea, I wonder how up to date they keep them.

I think they are new this year, so time will tell.
latest report
laundryman, Laughing If you spot a large red run, tilt your head back.
snow report
Axsman,<groan> haven't you got packing to do snowHead
snow conditions
I forsee a problem when you spend an hour making your way to the "restaurant" indicated on the map only to arrive and find it's a giant booger! Very Happy
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, Nearly finished mate! Laughing 16 hours to departure! snowHead
snow conditions
Axsman, 12 1/2 hours for me...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy