Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does Ski Holiday burn out exist or is it just me?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm really puzzled about this, and wondered if anyone else has had the same experience.

I've always been an avid ski fanatic, hence being on here, the sort that day-dreams about being back on the mountains the minute the plane touches UK soil. Spending hours on the internet arranging the next ski trip, saving every penny we can to make it become reality, read every resort/hotel review I can find, study equipment articles, watch ski technique videos, and then watch the webcams and read every snow report as the day approaches – yet here I am, 3 weeks home from our long-saved for, greatly anticipated annual ski trip, wondering why on the last 2 days of 6 days skiing, my husband and I both turned to each other at the ski bus stop and said “...this is all too much effort and too expensive...”

I’m racking my brain as to why we feel this way. If you had asked me 6 months ago, I would have said that any expense was worth it, that no amount of effort would be too much, but then this feeling of “...what’s it all for?...” crept in, with a feeling of guilt for looking forward to going home.

I can’t imagine not going again, yet I also can’t imagine making the effort again, all that packing, worrying about the ski luggage getting lost, is the hotel as near to the lifts as they say, are the runs really as they are marked on the map, will the temperature be right for good conditions, will there be enough snow, will there be air strikes, and so on and so forth... am I just not cut out for this after all? Should I just settle for a week on a beach, (which fills me with dread!). How do I rekindle my passion for this tiring, exhausting, yet exhilarating pass time?

This hobby has been such a part of my life for 14 years, I’m wondering now how I will fill the gap, or will my enthusiasm return? Is this Normal? Do people suffer with “ski-holiday burn out? Why was it all such an anticlimax? Confused

One thought that springs to mind as I type. 3 years ago after getting back from our annual trip, we felt we just couldn’t wait another 12 months, found a cheap mid week flight back to the same airport, low season hotel price in same high altitude resort, low season lift pass, resort's own transfer, and had the most awesome 4 days of sun and snow ever. Perhaps a short break is the answer, 4 days skiing not 6. But flights close after the Easter break, north west is a no-go area for anything but Saturday to Saturday flights, and only one schedule airline goes to Salzburg anyway! But things might change in 2011...you never know...hey...I’m thinking about ski holidays again...perhaps there’s hope for me yet!!!!
Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sharon1953, I'm sure you're not alone. There are exasperating aspects about ski holidays and when I'm there I miss certain things about home (baths, my cat, my friends). Clunking around with the equivalent of a plaster cast on each foot is one. Having mad hair and a peeling face is another (it doesn't matter how much factor 50, it always happens!). It's my one holiday each year and I often feel under pressure that everything has to be perfect. I've spent all year saving up for it and eagerly awaiting it and I don't want to be disappointed. Now it's over I feel very deflated at the thought of waiting 50+ weeks for the next one. However, it wasn't perfect. I had two days of rubbish weather, my boot bag was ruthlessly massacred by Birmingham Airport ground staff with the result that I had to carry my boots in a bin bag and I ran out of spending money. Hey, life is never perfect we just have to take the rough with the smooth! Very Happy

I bet towards the start of next season you'll be feeling the love again.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have you thought about trying snowboarding? Becoming a beginner again is quite reinvigorating. It banishes that feeling of everything being easy, mundane, and routine - and you get some nice big adrenaline whooses that you might not have had for a while. And a purple arse.

Or try and spend less, and put in less effort ("studying" articles and watching technique videos? Sod that, it's a holiday not a PhD...) if those are the two things that are becoming offputting.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
queen bodecia, I think you're right, expectations are so high, and when they are not met, it taints the experience, but feeling we HAD to ski due to the cost and effort, when really we wanted a day or two off, adds to the pressure! It's our only holiday too, so it has to be good one!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sharon1953, ski bus stop??? go ski in/out, did one holiday with the kids where I had to get the bus to/from the chalet and said never again, too much stress!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Stop skiing on blades and get some real skis?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sharon1953, I prescribe a snowHeads bash. Different class of skiing holiday! snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cognitive dissonance?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

Post purchase rationalisation and buyer's remorse often come about through the purchase of high value items and it's normal for a buyer to experience regret, for example someone buying a new car will often experience regret and wonder if they should have bought a different colour etc.

Perhaps this time round there has been a mismatch between the time and money you invested and the realisation of your expectations?

Of course it could always be God's way of telling you that it's time you came over to the dark side Razz
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sharon1953, if it's getting that bad Mrs NBT and I will go instead of you Wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sharon1953, we have found over the last couple of years that 7 days away, 6 skiing can get a bit much. I think a combination of age, unfitness and general knackeredness can make the 5th day onward seem like a bit of an effort.

We had this exact feeling last month in Meribel, and so decided to make day 5 a bit lazy and just pootle around. What actually happened was that we went over to Courchevel, and played on the cruisy blues there and had a great day . snowHead We were so invigorated that on the 6th day we did over 40km to Les Menuires, St Martin, Val T and Back to Meribel.

So for me the moral is, if you're feeling a bit cheesed off, slot in an easy day in the middle and just play about a bit. Laughing snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skiing 6 days back to back, often bell to bell as some Brits are wont to do can burn you out a bit - particularly if you indulge in big meals and nightlife as "its a holiday". Many casual N American skiers will take a day off in a 3 or 4 day weekend trip and feel no shame.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, yes, the ski bus stop was something we've not done for a while, but all our kit was at the gondola, so we only had to push our way on, but not something I would do again.
parlor, We don't use blades!
TallTone, Prefer hotels in Austria though, and we do always go with friends the same age as us. We start late, break for lunch and finish early so it wasn't that so much as the whole getting the kit on each day and packing the backpack for the "what ifs"

paulg, Don't begrudge the money as such, it's budgeted for, but wondering if we should spend it seeing more of the world than snow covered mountain tops!

paulio, Too old and broken to take up boarding, already on steroid injections for bad knees, not looking for more pain Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sharon1953, sorry. "Short Skis" or whatever they're called Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sharon1953, you're making it quite a lot of work - maybe just think of it as a holiday and resolve that you will definitely have at least one entire day off. as suggested above. Just chill, or do something different - such as a snowshoe walk, for example, get away from the lifts and the noise altogether.

Also, though you've studied the articles and videos, have you invested in really good quality lessons? We ski much of every season, having our own place, which takes all the pressure off. If it's not pretty good weather, or one of us is a bit under the weather, we don't bother. We read, learn a bit of French, have long afternoon naps, cook nice dinners, or drive to a different resort for a change. But at some time in each of the past two years we've done some intensive lessons - a week in les Deux Alpes last June, and 3 days in Tignes the previous November. Paulio is right - and even if you don't feel up to trying snowboarding, time spent with a good instructor might well invigorate your interest in skiing. I do snowboard a bit, and it's actually great starting something from scratch again, though I only do the odd half day when conditions are perfect - I couldn't do it for a week, or even several long days on the trot, as an OAP.

Agree with kitenski that ski buses are a right drag. Ski in/out is the answer. It might also be worth trying giving up altogether on the long term planning. Resolve to take a week off, fix the dates, but don't book anything. Then book something right at the last minute - not more than 7 days earlier. It might be a ski holiday, or it might not. Beach holidays don't have to be lolling around if that's not your thing (it's not mine either, and I've spent literally years living within a few miles of glorious tropical beaches so somewhere like Spain would just be grim). But I love water sports - learn to windsurf, sail, or similar. We have talked about taking a year off skiing, maybe renting out our apartment for the entire winter and going off on a road trip somewhere. We just don't think we'll be doing that quite yet.....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sharon1953, get off the internet. Seriously, I was like you a committed skier and deep down I still am I guess, but somehow all the webcams, research, condition checking, cost (now x4 as I have family), advice (some good some bad), technique, off-piste - on piste, equipment, etc kind of got/gets me down. I liked skiing because it was totally different from anything I did - until it became something I felt as though I was focusing on a little too much. Suddenly it doesn't feel like something different any more.

I've tried to rethink my attitude to skiing. I still love it, but I have to remind myself it is a holiday. I've done courses and I'm considering going on other courses too as a way of developing skiing in a different direction. But at the heart of it, I can relate to your "is it worth it" position.

One other thing I've found, pretty much anything these days seems to involve more hassle than it's worth. I bought a boat a few years back - I've used it about 7 times in 3 years. That's cost me almost a skiing holiday per trip out. One of the problems (apart from the weather) was there was so much to faff about with before the enjoyment kicked in. Maybe our "hobbies" just get too overblown, too involved. I should have just bought a rowing boat like my wife suggested, but I didn't!!

I'm sure you'll rediscover something of skiing again. But I'm certain it will need perspective, as a holiday, as trip, as just something you do for a week. Don't beat yourself up if you don't want to do it all day everyday of the holiday. It's not meant to be like that. In fact I doubt it's like that for anyone.
ski holidays
sharon1953, I'd suggest going further afield, maybe even not going anywhere next season and saving up for a bigger trip the year after. Go to Candada or the States for a couple of weeks or longer, but don't spend the whole time skiing.

If but for your comment of not wanting to use buses, I'd thoroughly recommend the Tahoe area travelling via San Francisco and spending at least a 4 or 5 days in San Francisco, thus spring time might be the best bet for such a trip, likely to be better weather at low levels, less big storms in the mountains. Far from being a stress, I considered the shuttle buses to various resorts around Tahoe a Godsend, a relaxing alternative to driving to and from the slopes where you could sit back, chill out and take in the views. snowHead

Also not sure ski in ski out is the answer to 'ski holiday burnout', quite the opposite. Somewhere with more alternatives, more variety to take a break from skiing during the ski week is likely to make the ski experience better overall, going skiing 6days in a row for someone who isn't used to skiing regularly can mean just going through the motions the last couple of days. So as well as maybe looking for a holiday where you have a non skiing element, take a break between the ski days, it's your holiday, not a slave camp so ensure that it's not a case of quantity over quality ski days.
snow report
Quote:

3 years ago after getting back from our annual trip, we felt we just couldn’t wait another 12 months, found a cheap mid week flight back to the same airport, low season hotel price in same high altitude resort, low season lift pass, resort's own transfer, and had the most awesome 4 days of sun and snow ever.

There's your cause!

With age, comes experience. You had finally had the good fortune to experienced GREAT condition instead of "normal" conditions. Once you've had something better, getting less won't be as exciting any more...

Quote:

wondering if we should spend it seeing more of the world than snow covered mountain tops!

Perhaps you should try skiing outside of Europe? Japan and N. America in the winter, NZ and South America in the summer...

The mountains are different, even the snow might be different (better chance of better snow). And you will see a bit of the "world" besides the mountains too!
ski holidays
I haven't ever had that feeling myself, but I can see where it comes from. I think the only time I was ever at risk of getting burn out, I just forced myself to just chill out a bit. It's Europe, it's an hour away and cost me less than £x amount, so it's not a once in a lifetime thing, I go 2-3 times a year every year, and will keep going back, so if I don't fancy skiing today, then so what? I know I paid for a 6 day liftpass, but that's only one in what is probably a long line of things I pay for but don't use to its full capacity, it's no big drama.

Perhaps you put yourself under pressure for everything to be perfect, and that in itself can ruin the enjoyment.

I honestly don't think ski-in ski-out would make the slightest bit of difference in this case. What I do think might make the difference is doing something different on one of the days - either a different on snow activity or something off the slopes entirely. I bet if you do, you'll then be thinking it's a shame you only have 5 days on skis!

D
snow report
Stop putting so much pressure on it to be perfect. Maybe do 2 or 3 shorter/cheaper trips over the season, so if one isn't perfect it doesn't matter so much - and you own't have to ski all day everyday 'cos you know in a few weeks you'll be away again, so you can just sit in the sun with a few beers not feeling bad. Try and do a couple of other things instead of just skiing - the mountains are a hugely varied playground - maybe a bit of touring/snowshoeing/husky sledding/climbing/paragliding? Go further afield so it's as much a travelling adventure as skiing - Japan/Russia/Himalayas/Argentina/Scandinavia (one cool sounding option is staying/travelling by boat, touring each day?!), and didn't someone post a TR recently with some very cool looking skiing in Georgia?
snow conditions
I think one week a year can be more stressful than two (or more) because you're trying to pack everything into those six days and you can end up trying so hard that it becomes a chore almost. Maybe you could find a resort you like and return to it a few times as then you'll be familiar with it and won't hardly need a piste map. It almost doesn't matter where. For me it's Flaine - I've been 11 times in 10 years. I can go there knowng exactly what I'm doing. I can go to the top on a bluebird day and look across to Mont Blanc for a while. Stillness, sun, clear air- it doesn't get any better than that. Then I can rip it down an easy blue and get that exhilaration again. Watch the French - they know how to enjoy the moment, how to relax, how to live. And there's that well-earned patisserie at the end of the day. Lots of little things.....

As others have said, take a day off to do something else, especially if you go by car. I'm still hankering about doing the Vallee Blanche - one day.......
And remember - it's better than working Smile There, you're looking at the 2010-11 brochure now, I'll bet. Regards.
snow report
paulio, just come back from my first weeks snowboarding, ar$e is fine, first of all the right shoulder copped for toe edge face plant then the right, just about starting to get them back. Would I go boarding again-- bet your a$$ I will I loved every minute snowHead Laughing
latest report
Quote:

I know I paid for a 6 day liftpass

well one obvious answer is not to do any such thing. maybe pay for a 4 or 5 day non-consecutive pass. take some of the pressure off, and if you really want to ski every day and the conditions are fantastic, buy a few more days at the end. The feeling that you "can't waste all that money spent on a ski pass" can create a lot of pressure. I always advise people who come to stay with us NOT to buy a pass for the whole time at the outset - the savings made by doing so are not that great.
latest report
Quote:
all that packing, worrying about the ski luggage getting lost, is the hotel as near to the lifts as they say, are the runs really as they are marked on the map, will the temperature be right for good conditions, will there be enough snow, will there be air strikes, and so on and so forth...

Relax! And ski!
snow conditions
What people talk about doing skiing and what they actually do may be too different things. It is a holiday so treat it as one.
ski holidays
Some good advice here. billb has it spot on, as does pam w. I'm fortunate in that I always go skiing at our chalet in the Grand Massif and hire a car (or drive), but that means there isn't anything like the same pressure to go ski every day. In fact this last trip I fell and twisted my back on the Monday and couldn't ski again (up until a couple of runs last Friday), but it was still a lovely break in a beautiful part of the world. We took friends along, two of whom were learning, and the camaraderie and good humour were very much in evidence. As pam w recommends, we will probably not bother with season passes next year but simply buy passes on the days we wish to ski, in the resorts we wish to ski.

Am I looking forward to next year? Yes - the mountains will still be there, and they will still be gorgeous. Am I planning it already? Not on your nelly!
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I know I paid for a 6 day liftpass

well one obvious answer is not to do any such thing. maybe pay for a 4 or 5 day non-consecutive pass. take some of the pressure off, and if you really want to ski every day and the conditions are fantastic, buy a few more days at the end. The feeling that you "can't waste all that money spent on a ski pass" can create a lot of pressure. I always advise people who come to stay with us NOT to buy a pass for the whole time at the outset - the savings made by doing so are not that great.

It depends on the pricing structure, as in the resorts we tend to go to, the 'flexible' options are 5 days in 7 (only about EUR10 cheaper than the 6 days so no good if you end up deciding to ski the missing day anyway) or any 10 days in the season (much more expensive than 6 days). So we always get the 6 days as I see it as paying for access to the lifts, there is no compulsion or requirement to use them every minute of every day. FWIW we have never had a whole day off, sometimes just have a really lazy morning or an early finish and do something else. Then there are the odd times we have uplifted, skied two runs and spent the rest of the day in a mountain restaurant, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

I guess what I mean is that I see it as paying for the freedom to be able to ski, but it doesn't mean I have to all day every day.

D
snow conditions
Yes, lots of good ideas, some out of the question though due to added costs, and driving is not an option from Manchester to Austria, which is a preferred destination. We can't leave the business for more than a week, being self employed the cost of the holiday is plus the cost of lost earnings whilst away.
Hiring a car whilst away would just add to the cost of the holiday and if skiing, more loading and unloading! I want to get away from roads, traffic and driving on such a short break.

We have returned to the same resort more than once, and I agree, there is much to be said for knowing from day one where you are going, and making for the runs you enjoy the most.

We did take a day out this year, but we have found that the higher resorts are less likely to be all year round resorts, so there is little do during the day, other than eat. The villages are usually deserted during the day, and we haven’t gone to shop anyway. Lots of the other winter sports involve yet more knee-jarring or more energy than we have!

I had to smile one morning when were gasping for breath in the hot boot room, (checking we had all our stuff before leaving, we seemed to take it in turns to forget something) hauling ourselves out of the oven in to the cold, we commented that anyone that didn’t go on a winter sports holiday wouldn’t believe just how much faffing around there is before you actually get to do anything. Someone overhearing laughed and said ‘we often think the same when we are trying to sell skiing holidays to our non-skiing friends – how on earth can you when all they do is sling a T shirt and shorts on and head for the water? It really is a bizarre situation when you analyse it, not to mention the equipment and clothes stored away for just one week a year!

We certainly have branched out with regard to changing mode of downhill transport, we had to. We took up Snowbiking 2 years ago, which for 2 pairs of aged, arthritic knees has proved a real boost, opening up runs we would normally have avoided due to instability and pain. Now we can go anywhere (except blacks as I have no desire to use them) and best of all, the bikes love soft, spring snow conditions and deep fresh powder - but are a real pain on ice and hard crud! So we have adapted in order to continue and add a different dimension to the whole mountain experience, which for two mature adults rushing towards 60 isn’t too bad going.

I do accept that a day off is mandatory for us now, and not to feel guilty for it, and perhaps go back to a resort we know, which we certainly wanted to this year, but couldn’t as the TOs only used the most expensive hotels, and we couldn’t get there any other way due to lack of flights. Thanks for all your input, it's encouraging.
snow conditions
What about going to Lillehammer next time? I think someone said on another thread they had seen the northen lights whilst skiing there... and then you can have a go at the Bob Skeleton too - that will reinvigorate your mountain experience without jarring your knees: Just lie down, and relax..!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sharon1953, out of interest what kind of skis are you on?

Maybe hiring some wider skis would increase enjoyment in soft spring snow and powder when conditions permitted??

Or how about trying X country or snow shoeing?
snow conditions
you ski one week a year and you spend the last two days wondering was it all worth it?.......WTF?.......people like you make me want to puke.........stop your whining and go to the fcuking beach....

okbye
latest report
sharon1953 wrote:
... in same high altitude resort...

I think that's your problem.

Our front door is at 12m and, as I get older, I find I tire more quickly at altitude. These days we enjoy staying in Bride-les-Bains at the foot of the 3 Valleys system at only 600m. Yes, the 22 minute ride each way in the bubble is a bit of a pain but we build that into the day and use the time for planning our objectives or reflecting on the day. The benefit is that we get a good night's sleep and have more energy and enthusiasm to attack each day. Valley villages also tend to have a life outside skiing and are more interesting to wander round.
snow report
Quote:

all they do is sling a T shirt and shorts on and head for the water?

That is certainly not my experience of beach holidays! We always seem to end up with the kitchen sink in a bag along with hats, sunglasses, towels, books, beach mats, umbrella, drinks, snacks, factor 50, toys, etc etc etc. It's the same load of faff - just different faff.
snow report
Burn out is probably a sign of boredom. Choose a different resort in a different country. Go at a different time of the season, and see how different it can be. If you usually stay in hotels, try a chalet, and vice-versa.. Stay somewhere with other things to do, such as a thermal spa. Try starting early one one day, and finishing at lunchtime, go to the nearest town, do a bit of shopping. Look on it as a holiday, not just a ski holiday.
ski holidays
Sharon1953 - I'm really surprised that you are having this issue.

I've had to date 50+ ski trips in last 20 years and can honestly say that I've never had this feeling, rather just the opposite. My view is that when the surfs us then my tails up, I ski 7-8 hours a day and push like mad to get the most of my days, on/ off piste, moguls, reds/ blacks whatever. Variety is the key I think, and planning before you go is key.

When I'm stuck in traffic at 7am on a Monday on the M1 etc all I think of is Mondays make snow days and it gets me through - to me the greatest place on earth 3000m on a pair of fat-ski's on a powder day, with good pals and the sun on my back.

Carpe Diem.................suggest you need to reavaluate your trips and thinking, is it really for you? If you reckon it is plan a bit better and max out the opportunity, no time for hassle on my snow days!
snow report
snowpatrol, Does it still count as 'whining' if you take an afternoon of to get completely bladdered? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
sharon1953, I think I agree with a lot of what Markymark29 said.

Yep, some of my holidays (especially with the kids) have a certain degree of faff-factor, but for adults only trips I can pack my bags by memory, sometimes there is some travel faff, but in the mornings I can get out the door quickly and painlessly without forgetting stuff, due to ingrained habit and routine.

So I think you probably do need to give it a year's break, see if you miss it. Not everyone is such a sad addict as me, and if you feel like skiing after a few days is becoming an obligation rather than a joy, you may need to move on.
snow report
I think Markymark29's approach may work for some people but I think in this case expectations may possibly be being unrealistically heightened due to an excess of dreaming, hope and planning? Different people react in different ways, and those ways also change through a person's life as their expectations, hopes and ideals are shaped by their experiences. I used to plan ski holidays for friends, would spend a long time poring over ski brochures and the like, but now I do far less of that. Doesn't mean I enjoy the holidays any less mind!
snow report
Sounds like you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Just throw some clothes and gear in a few bags.

Head to a ski-in-ski-out resort for 14 days.

Go home with a tan and better riding skills.
ski holidays
snowpatrol, What a thoroughly distasteful, immature person you are, now go to bed and let the adults chat !
ski holidays
After 14 years skiing you should be pretty good at it, if not, you need to ask yourself why not.
To get more out of any sport one needs to push one`s personal boundaries, otherwise after the first few days of skiing it may tend to be a bit of a drag.
Try and get the first lift up the mountain and ski the mountain before the rest of the world and his dog turn up.
If you can push your skiing grade you will find the harder runs are less crowded and more fun.
Also make friends with some snowboarders, there's never a dull moment with that lot.
Please don`t give up skiing, you will be bored stiff on a beach holiday, thinking every day how can I kill time today, whereas on a ski holiday there is adventure all the time.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy