Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski service or not ??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Had them serviced at a reputable Fischer shop in austria And now they are super fast but are very unstable in a straight line, whereas from new they were fantastic stable carvers at an edge of 88.
can any one shed any light on what they may have done.

Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unstable in what way? Keep trying to turn? They haven't ground them flat have they?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
woodwood, anychance that you had them serviced at the beginning of this years' holiday (or at the end of last years')...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mosh ..
whereas before the service ( which i think was the base and possibly the edges?? ) the skis would run in a straight line without the front nose floating from side to side as though they are now trying to find an edge.
If you can picture this, put your arms out in front of you, palms down and shake each hand independently left to right.

Flange...
returned 3 weeks ago from Selva after a week, they worked perfect but i did notice towards the end that they were gliding slow over the packed snow, so upon visiting Flachau just last weekend for 4 days, i took them for their first service thinking they would just service the base wax and make them glide faster, then the problem arose on first use in flachau ?? They must have also touched the edges but i can not tell as they were in good condition i thought.

My limited technical knowledge on skis would guess they seem to not have an edge until they are in a turn.

Thanks for any input on this
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
woodwood, What is the base bevel now? what was it before?
Were the bases flat from the factory (often they are not) or were they base high?

Was the base bevel consistent before?- as an idea my new cheater GS Volkl Racetigers were edge high (definitely) and also the base bevel was different on different edges and inconsistent along the edge(not tapered).

With a nice race prep - base grind, hot box, base bevel set to 0.5 underfoot tapering to 1 at tip and tail, edges set at 3 degrees, structure - they ski like greased lightning and are easy to slide and initiate nicely.

Other option - the tip and tail were detuned before? Not now?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks LT

But you have lost me there ??
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The edges are not usually flat to the base of the ski. They are slightly angled to the base on the base side - that is base bevel. If you have less base bevel your skis will tend to feel a little more 'grabby'.

Race skis are often tuned with 'tapered' base bevel - less underfoot and more bevel at the tip and tail to ease the tendency for the tip and tail to 'grab' at the snow esp when tracking straight.

If the base is not flat it will of course affect the engagement of the edges - so if you went from base higher than edge to almost flat(but with base bevel) you will feel that as more grabby.
Ditto if you changed from 2 degree base bevel to 1 or 1 to 0.5 you will notice the more 'grabby' ski feel.

You may also have had the side of the edge "dulled' near the tip and tail to decrease the tendency to engage "too early" (I think this is silly but still) - if they are now sharp right through you may be feeling this.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy