Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The great single room debate...

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

minus the amount the represents one person's meals.

Hmm. not sure about that one. If a hotel has all rooms occupied, but half a dozen of them only have one person in, then the marginal savings from having 6 fewer sets of meals to prepare would be tiny.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, don't forget the towels. wink

ISTM the single-occupancy supplement whingers expect to pay less per square foot of personal space than sharers, which strikes me as special pleading.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm with queen bodecia, on this one - TOs do seem to see singles as an easy way to extract cash, and not just for skiing hols. Many (if not most) hotels DO have single rooms, cos there IS a demand for them - and the hotel's published rate for them is usually not too bad. Now, if you want a double/twin all to yourself - fair enough, you gotta pay for the extra space you are using, but why does a single apparently have to pay extra over and above the hotel's single room rate, when dealing with a TO, just cos he/she wants the convenience of a package? TOs seem to actively want to discourage this segment of the market - so here we are, back at the TO vs DIY argument again!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
queen bodecia wrote:

abc has made a fair point. Maybe there are many more single rooms or low supplements out there and TOs are simply not offering them. I've also seen sole occupancy supplements that equal the cost for two people, which to me is totally unfair.

I have seen prices in brochures from several TO's where in low season, the single supplement works out at more than the cost of taking a second person along.

Quote:

The maximum charge should be the cost for two people, minus the amount that represents the flights/transfers and minus the amount the represents one person's meals. That way the hotelier would not be out of pocket for letting the room to one person rather than two.

No, it does need to be a bit higher than that, and hotels will almost always charge more than half as much for a single room as they will for two people in a double.

But as somebody earlier in the thread pointed out, even though a single room will often feel cramped, it will in fact almost always be more than half the floor space of a double/twin.

Quote:

In fairness Crystal do try to help. They do advertise 'single savers' throughout their brochure/website and are prepared to negotiate with hoteliers as they did for me last season. But I still find the choice quite limited. Someone else made the point earlier that finding a good choice of family rooms is rare too. I honestly think that TOs (not just winter sports) should realise that not everyone holidays as a cosy couple. There are lots of other permutations and combinations out there.

They do realise this.

But they are driven by the market, and the market (for skiing holidays) is overwhelmingly for couples, whether we singles like that or not.

I suspect the number of single rooms offered is fairly proportional to the average demand for them, and similarly with family rooms.

If t TOs found that all their hotel single rooms were being snapped up before the double rooms, they would offer more of them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's because singles cause more wear and tear on the rooms than couples.

A week's worth of masturbation, self-harm and sobbing needs cleaning up by someone you know!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

and the market (for skiing holidays) is overwhelmingly for couples

Or at least people who are happy to share with other people that they regularly ski with rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been trying to ignore this as I don't really understand the issue. But hey, it's late.

I rent out apartments. They sleep either 6 or 8 people. Why would I want to discount my rate if someone wants to bring 5, 4, 3, 2, or even just themselves? The price is per apartment, per week.

But now I think deeper. I maybe understand and sympathise. TOs offer prices based on double (or, for US holidays, quad!) occupancy.

Easy solution Queenie,

DIY.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alex_heney wrote:
I suspect the number of single rooms offered is fairly proportional to the average demand for them, and similarly with family rooms.

I further suspect some singles happily pay the extra supplement.

And other singles (& family) found better deals outside of TO's offer further decrease "demand" for such non-standard accomondation arrangements from TOs. No chicken, no egg. Or is it no egg, no chicken...? wink

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 19-03-10 0:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
geoff10 wrote:
I'm with queen bodecia, on this one - TOs do seem to see singles as an easy way to extract cash, and not just for skiing hols. Many (if not most) hotels DO have single rooms, cos there IS a demand for them - and the hotel's published rate for them is usually not too bad.

But is still usually more than the per person rate for two people in a double or twin. This varies considerably, but is usually between €5 and €10 per night.

As an example, the last two hotels I have stayed in were the Blattlhof in Ellmau (Neilson) and the Neuwirt in Kirchdorf (Crystal).

Published winter prices (outside peak dates) for the Blatthof are €60ppn for the cheapest double room, and €71ppn in a single (but their singles are large). For the Neuwirt it is €51ppn in a double, €56ppn im a single.

Quote:

Now, if you want a double/twin all to yourself - fair enough, you gotta pay for the extra space you are using, but why does a single apparently have to pay extra over and above the hotel's single room rate, when dealing with a TO, just cos he/she wants the convenience of a package? TOs seem to actively want to discourage this segment of the market - so here we are, back at the TO vs DIY argument again!

Single supplements from TOs are certainly sometimes well above the hotel listed difference, but by no means always.

The brochured supplement for the Blatthof this year is £6 per night, which is LESS than the €11 per night hotel difference. The Neuwirt is not in the paper brochure, but if you go through the booking process, the supplement for a single room is £5 per night, so pretty close to the hotel difference, given the current exchange rate.

I certainly don't get the impression they are actively discouraging single travellers.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I reckon requests from singles who don't want to share in any way, shape or form represent less than 1% of our enquiries.

On the rare occasion we do get such enquiries, it's inevitably a pain in the bum - we always do our best to help, but being honest, ca fait mal a la derriere....

That said, we actually do have rooms with no single supplement, ever, but they are smaller and less well-appointed.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I go skiing on my own every year and find that Inghams have a pretty good choice of hotels with supplements of £0 - £15 a night. Where's the problem?

Going to Grindelwald next Jan for a single supplement of minus £6 a night.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is a particularly old thread but I wondered what more recent experiences people have had? For various reasons I have had need to book some single rooms for ski holidays in catered chalets and it is amazing the difference in response from various companies. One way or another it seems to me that it is still viewed as being 'abnormal' and therefore attracts a premium in most cases. Understandably from a business perspective but what have others found since this thread ended in 2010?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I feel that in hotels (or other accommodation) set up with double rooms it's understandable that hefty single supplements are charged. I booked a berth on a yacht in Norway last month - it cost £930 for the eight nights, full board. It was assumed that you would share a cabin - but you could pay a 50% premium to have the cabin to yourself. So, the owners lost £465. They had a very well worked out system for victualling the boat and producing excellent meals. There is absolutely no way that they would have saved £465 if catering for 7 people instead of 8 (the two owners plus six guests) if I'd opted to pay that supplement.
Quote:

One way or another it seems to me that it is still viewed as being 'abnormal' and therefore attracts a premium in most cases.

I don't see why the charging of a premium should imply that wanting a single room is seen as "abnormal"
If the accommodation is far from fully booked there is, of course, plenty of scope for some creative marketing of special rates for single rooms. And if nobody else had booked the last berth on the boat I'd have had a cabin to myself without paying any extra.

It depends on the nature of the business. I find some of the moans of single travellers difficult to understand.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I always travel alone or with @queen bodecia, at least once each season sometimes more and we always book 2 single rooms. We don't pay single supplements unless we occupy double rooms and block off one bed in high season which I think in that case it would be fair. However, if they assign me to a double room after I have booked singles, I have yet to have the supplement applied.

I make sure I book single rooms and supplements are not incurred because the rooms are singles, so how can we be be reducing earnings? Most Austrian hotels have single rooms, especially if they are Gasthöfe that are in operation all year round. They also cater for the business traveller outside of the main tourist seasons who requires a single room. By booking direct, there are no extra fees and if they do try to add them when I'm in a room with one bed, then I ask how they justify the extra costs and indicate that I will be discussing the problem with the Tourist Office. Amazingly, the very few times it has appeared on my bill, it has miraculously immediately disappeared. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CaravanSkier wrote:
This is a particularly old thread but I wondered what more recent experiences people have had? For various reasons I have had need to book some single rooms for ski holidays in catered chalets and it is amazing the difference in response from various companies. One way or another it seems to me that it is still viewed as being 'abnormal' and therefore attracts a premium in most cases. Understandably from a business perspective but what have others found since this thread ended in 2010?

Not a lot more to it than that. What is so strange about charging a supplement?
snow conditions
I have travelled as a single many times but never paid a supplement, either,
Booked a single room in a pension
Shared with others met on arrival or at the airport, eg birthday bash
Last minute booking, Silver Ski were going to charge me single supplement but I said I would only book at the advertised price, they could have a double room with one paying person or an empty room
latest report
@stoat of the dead, The sight of yer bum jiggling its way to the bathroom will haunt me to my grave Shocked
latest report
@Masque, was the stoat's bum sighted some years ago?
snow conditions
@pam w, Yup, same time as the 'Kramer incident' I should imagine it has fared as badly as mine in the interim Sad

It was 'People of Walmart' back boob epic . . . though I understand the gentleman has taken to exercise and has much changed his fundament . . . photo proof required though wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 14-07-15 21:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I have looked recently a single room offers, and there does appear to be some bargains around. I do not think it is just a business issue, it probably has more to do with the shared accommodation issue. Most potential single skiers are probably male, most actual single skiers in chalets are likely to be women. Understandably, couples and people with daughters, tend not to want to sleep in a bedroom adjacent to an ageing single skier (regardless of whether he protests about his status or not) Therefore, the single skier room in a chalet, tends to be adjacent to the staff room.

In a small hotel, in places like Italy or Austria, there is more accommodation for single male skiers. Primarily the reason for this, is that in Italy and Austria, its is more common for men to stay at home with mum and dad, and for sister to leave home.

In France there is single male accommodation, but you will have to share with others. The French like it that way.

Hostels are closing down left right and centre, and starting this unusual trend of smaller numbers of beds in the room with mixed sexes. I have never booked a mixed sex 4 bed room as a single, I suspect they are meant for families.

I have booked as a single in a dorm bed for 8 males over Xmas. It was full! It was cheap. There are not many of these around, you have to be quick off the mark too...

I do not pay supplements, and I do not like expensive hotels. However, even if single accommodation is cheaper in a chalet, I may prefer to stay elsewhere due to the odd one out status in a chalet. (single rooms in a chalet tend to be the exception rather than the rule)
latest report
Golly. Well, if we are going to resurrect such old threads, might as well go the whole hog.... wink
snow report
@Bigtipper, what a very odd observation!
ski holidays
Haha, I'd completely forgotten how much of a hard time I used to have on here. However, this wasn't a patch on the Jade Goody thread...

For the record, I'm still single of course, and I still stay in a single room. I have discovered DIY thanks entirely to some pretty bloody fabulous people in Austria, and yes single rooms and minimal single supplements do exist there. My erstwhile bunch of ski buddies have dropped off the radar a bit due to an array of personal circumstances, but we are still in touch and hopeful one day we will ski together again.

I actually think things have changed a bit since this original post. With the popularity of accommodation booking websites people can shop around for different combinations of room arrangements and the price quoted is often per room rather than per person, which makes far more sense. TOs would do well to learn from this.
snow report
Quote:

what a very odd observation!

indeed. Bizarre, especially:
Quote:

Most potential single skiers are probably male, most actual single skiers in chalets are likely to be women.
Puzzled
snow conditions
@pam w, I thought "Understandably, couples and people with daughters, tend not to want to sleep in a bedroom adjacent to an ageing single skier (regardless of whether he protests about his status or not) Therefore, the single skier room in a chalet, tends to be adjacent to the staff room. " was particularly odd
ski holidays
I also think my comments were odd.

So that is three single woman, and me who think my comments were odd. Shall we book a 4 bed mixed dorm in a hostel together?

Laughing
latest report
@Bigtipper, I'm not a single woman!
snow report
@holidayloverxx, how did I know you would protest the loudest?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Laughing I do love the humour on this site! I posed the (re-newed?) question and resurrected this very old thread because I wondered how things have changed over the last few years!

I have found recently, much as you would expect, that going direct to small companies or individual owners gets a much better response than any TO will give, and they are often very willing to discuss price options. I have only looked seriously in France but it is interesting that some folk on here believe other countries offer more in the way of single rooms. I shall bear that in mind, if needs be, in the future.
snow conditions
Coo - like Boudica, re-read this thread when it came up in my "your threads" list. My attempt at emulating the style of some of our more provocative posters meant that I did come across as a bit of an arse. 4 years older and wiser eh?

I still maintain that the benefits of single travel outweigh that of the restrictions and costs placed on family units, I'm just going to put it more politely this time around. Hopefully.
latest report
I have always found it a little strange when hotels charge a single supplement for a room with only one bed.

I prefer places like Ibis, Travelodge, Premier Inn and others like that. You pay for a room and it's up to you how many sleep in it.
snow report
Quote:

I actually think things have changed a bit since this original post. With the popularity of accommodation booking websites people can shop around for different combinations of room arrangements and the price quoted is often per room rather than per person, which makes far more sense

I think this is probably right. To be honest though I don't think we have only booked a holiday, summer or winter, through a TO once or twice in the last decade. It's not that new a phenomenon. The secret to getting good deals on single occupancy is to go off peak, secure cheap flights to a useful airport and book accommodation fairly late. If hotels have empty rooms when you book a week or two ahead then they will normally give you a twin or double for half the double occupancy price - it's better to them than nothing. If you want to book early then many (most but not all) will want to charge more to compensate them for giving up the opportunity to secure full occupancy. Perfectly understandable in my opinion.

As to why there a few single rooms, I think you need to consider that most hoteliers in ski resorts really make their money in 5 weeks of the season. The secret is to get as many bodies in the hotel as possible in those premium rate weeks. Single rooms are space inefficient so reduce your maximum occupancy in those weeks. Starting from scratch, most modern hotels try to avoid single rooms.
snow conditions
The issue at point here is not single supplements per se, but how rooms are marketed. If booking a hotel direct uou will almost always pay 'per room.' If you book a TO package it will mostly be 'per person'. The TO will be paying the hotel for a room so it is perfectly understandable if they levy a 'single supplement' on the per person price.

If the package included more than just 'room only' I'd expect the supplement to reflect that the hotel would not have the cost of providing the extras for an additional person.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Singles are losers to be exploited.

Just shack up with your female friend in a double and stop whining.

Still valid?
latest report
Even more reason to DIY-it as @under a new name and @queen bodecia said. I always book apartments and work out our budget and requirements, sometimes 2 single people have to share a twin room, sometimes we all get a room each. Never costs more than £250/£300 each for accomodation.

However, the first ski trip we did was through a TO, and the only way we could get it to work was having 3 of us squeeze in a tiny room - it was fine, but that was hard to find as most TO's (or even hotels) will do only do 2 rooms for 3 single males (twin and a single/double) which obviously bumps the cost up. I completely understand why, hence why we had to find a different way of doing it.
ski holidays
As a matter of interest has anyone ever booked an apartment anywhere, because of the need for single rooms, and found the kind of social interactions you get in a catered chalet? Maybe somewhere with a large communal lounge that actually gets used, and where guests do actually mingle?
ski holidays
I occasionally go skiing by myself or with friends but try to find a single room. Ski Total and Inghmas have single rooms (and local airport flights too). ClubMed can be very reasonable. Seven of us had our own massive rooms in Chamonix this year with no supplement. Aime La Plagne only has a small supplement.

Also tried the book a flight and put a thread on the Chalet Direct Solutions Room and has worked for a last minute.
snow report
Many of the places I deal with have a very few single rooms which cost a little more than a place in a twin/double. This is IMV is perfectly justified as a single room is usually about 70% the size of a twin, the solo has their own exclusive bath/shower, that sort of thing. Once the single rooms are gone, the surcharge for using a double as a solo is usually a bit more.

Sometimes though I'm in quite a tricky position in that, while I may technically be able to assign a double as a solo, if I assign too many, the hotel will be unhappy about the 'wastage' and this will result in a higher price for everybody the following year. Given that on the bashes, I can always find someone a room mate who needs one, there's a balance to be struck between those who really need a solo (often epic snorers) and those who would just 'quite like' one.

Some tour-ops though are just a bit silly about it. In the past, I was presented with a late deal all-in for £179 - woohoo! (U might think) However it was in a triple room and they were after 2 x single supplement of £275! Err.... naturally I pointed out that this was more than simply paying for the places and leaving them empty but I was assured that would not be accepted and that leaving the beds empty would result in an expectation of me to pay the extra rolling eyes
As it was though, I just waited them out and booked 4hrs before departure on the basis that, "Your not going to sell more than this one bed now and that's all I'm offering to buy."
snow report
CaravanSkier wrote:
As a matter of interest has anyone ever booked an apartment anywhere, because of the need for single rooms, and found the kind of social interactions you get in a catered chalet? Maybe somewhere with a large communal lounge that actually gets used, and where guests do actually mingle?

Well yes but probably not what you mean. I rent a small apartment and use it as a single room. I know other people in the block so I'm not Johnny-no-mates in the evening.
ski holidays
Filthyphil30k wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
Singles are losers to be exploited.

Just shack up with your female friend in a double and stop whining.

Still valid?

Some couples insist on doing everything as a couple. We don't. Thank God. Herself coming skiing would mean me going on jewellery making courses and other such diversions.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy