Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Various airline ski carriage costs

Poster: A snowHead
Just checked on a booking I have made for 12 people with Inghams next year, all taking skis/board (well at least they can do and they are paying even if they don't), therefore booked 6 lots of ski carriage @£18 = £108 that's for 12 people.

OK I know I am cheating and it's strictly only for 6, but at £9 a head that has to be considered reasonable compared to £100 with KLM
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I may be about to book Heathrow to Geneva with British Airways unless I can get filghts from Gatwick which is a lot nearer for me, will I be charged extra for boots and skis, it's not clear from reading the posts above.

Help please.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kel, better hope the do not check the 8kg allowance wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
micky,
Best bet is to take your ski boots in your suitcase.
BA will charge you £56 - skis are counted as an extra bag.

Edit - They have just increased this charge to £64

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 5-07-10 16:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
micky, you can take one bag, providing this one bag does not go beyond your weight allowance you will not be charged any extra. If you have a suitable bag, skis and luggage go in that, boots in your hand luggage (has that been discussed?). Simples.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
smithski wrote:
micky.... boots in your hand luggage (has that been discussed?)...

ad infinitum!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
micky what smithski said if you want to save some wonger Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
New Baggage rules from KLM/Airfrance - See here
If your ticket was issued on of after 28 March 2010, the piece concept applies. If your ticket was issued before that date, the weight concept may still apply.
With a little more digging you get to this

You can take 20kg in "1" bag
If you take another bag - which can be a set of skis - it's 55 euros each way.
BUT if you take 2 suitcases "and" a set of skis (or other sports equip) that 3rd bag is 400 euros for the return trip.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wayne, yip you seem right Shocked

now who was that couple complaining about BA last season Little Angel
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rayscoops,
BA seem to be one of the few airline that have clear and simple rules with ski gear
Taken from BA.com
There is no additional allowance for sporting equipment, but it can still be carried free of charge as part of your free checked baggage allowance. If it is in addition to your free checked allowance, you will need to pay extra bag charges.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wayne, I struggle to understand why they do not state clearly what they do not intend with respect to bags you can not take for free wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wayne,
Quote:

Whatever next. Next you'll be saying that you can DIY for cheaper than going on holiday with me. Phah.
(no you can't by the way )

Oh yes I can Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wayne, I thought your market was mainly school tours! I do not know how I got this in my head, it is just something I picked up over the posts. Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roy Hockley wrote:
Wayne, I thought your market was mainly school tours!

I have never run a school tour. Went on one when I was a kid though Smile .
Not saying there is anything wrong with school tours, just not our market.

We deal with families mainly during HT and most of them wouldn't want to be in a hotel at the same time as a school group. Other times to HT we have the same makeup of clients as all other TOs - anyone and everyone (except school groups & Boredsurfing wink ).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't know how I got that impression! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
Roy Hockley, You are not the only one Embarassed
ski holidays
Quote:

AirFrance/KLM £100 for bookings made after 25/3/10 - this does not include boots

I think you can take skis free with KLM if you can fit them in your 20kg allowance - which we usually can wink
snow report
Roy Hockley Boredsurfing the 'school holidays' thread maybe Little Angel
latest report
Bergmeister wrote:
I think you can take skis free with KLM if you can fit them in your 20kg allowance - which we usually can wink

Not any more - for ticket bought after 28th March.
KLM/AirFrance have introduced Piece Concept which means you have a set "number" of bags (pieces). They used to use Weight Concept - this meant that you paid for a set amount of weight that you could take and this could be made up of any number of bags. But with the new Pieces Concept you get 1 bag that may be "up to" a certain limit but it's still only one bag.

It seems to be the way the industry is going. Get as much money as you can from passengers, by charging more for the same service that used to be included in the ticket cost.
ski holidays
Wayne, can that one free bag be a sports/snowboard bag though, like BA ?
latest report
Wayne, Perhaps if your sig was for your company rather than a ski school, maybe be auto suggestion - as the word school appears on your every post Very Happy
ski holidays
Wayne, looks like you can take skis as part fo your free main bag, but the dimensions may be bit of a problem although specifically allowing skis etc probably means that the dimension rules are not applicable specifically for the sports equipment

from the website

If your ticket was issued on or after 28 March 2010, you may bring the following check-in baggage. Your exact baggage allowance is always stated on your ticket, and in Manage my Booking. Free baggage allowance for tickets issued on or after 28 March 2010: Economy Class 1 item of check-in baggage*, each max. 23 kg (50.5 lbs), max. 158 cm (62 inches) l + w + h ........

Under the weight concept, you may take diving equipment, a pair of skis or water-skis, a snowboard or bicycle not exceeding 20 kg (44 lbs) as part of your standard amount of baggage.

Skis and snowboards
A set of (water-) ski or snowboard equipment may consist of a board or pair of skis, two ski poles and a pair of ski boots.

Regulations for skis and snowboards according to the weight concept
Within the standard baggage allowance you may take one set of (water-) ski or snowboard equipment up to 20 kg (44 lbs). If your total baggage including ski or snowboard equipment weighs more than 20 kg, we charge a special fixed fee. For extra ski or snowboard equipment heavier than 20 kg the fee is doubled. Always make a reservation for your special baggage at least 48 hours before departure, and ensure your reservation is confirmed.
snow conditions
Boredsurfing wrote:
Wayne, Perhaps if your sig was for your company rather than a ski school, maybe be auto suggestion - as the word school appears on your every post Very Happy

Toofy Grin - you may be right.

rayscoops wrote:
Wayne, looks like you can take skis as part fo your free main bag,

You may also be right.
I have given up trying to go through various airlines T&C's to try and find loopholes to enable me to carry a pair of skis for free. As I tend to drive to Italy it's not really a problem in the main. When I go to France (so Phil Smith can tell me how bad I am Madeye-Smiley) , I just pay the cost or whatever it says on the airline's website.
I know the very thought of it will have DIY'ers crying into their gaffer tape, but it makes life simpler.
snow report
Wayne, Me2 in general - though flybe has ski-length restrictions to be aware of on some of its aircraft.
latest report
Club Med (ThompsonFLy) Free.
Mark Warner £15 return.
snow conditions
I had a massive dispute with KLM when the introduced ski charges.

I haven't flown with them since that was around 3-4 years ago.

I take the train...Cost less door to door, relaxing,no baggage limits.
ski holidays
Kel, Mrs Monkey and I manage two snowboards, two sets of boots, one set of bindings, some towels and fleeces in my board bag, so we've only ever had to pay one set of carriage (with Ryanair, Easyjet, Jet2 and Flybe i think). Mrs Monkey likes this a lot because it means she gets to pack lots more hairdriers and hair straigheners and high heels or whatever in her check in luggage.
latest report
Are there any airlines that accept snowboard bags that may have 2 pairs of skis in?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I hate airlines. BA Sale is on again, but they've cut their baggage allowances so much, added new charges, and now want £90 to change flights rather than the £50 it used to be, that they're not actually viable to fly with for me.
snow conditions
i stay in the same resort in austria at least 2 times a season.. i leave all my stuff there now and my wifes.. one of the lads trips is to a nearby resort , we will bung one of the hotel staff 40 odd euros to ship our gear down there before we arrive.. i doubt my current equipment will ever see these shores again !
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
i stay in the same resort in austria at least 2 times a season.. i leave all my stuff there now and my wifes..

so are your wifes happy to stay out there then and not come back with you ? wink
snow conditions
rayscoops, all six of them wink
snow report
andy wrote:
Lufthansa £0.00 plus the price of 1 phone call to their hotline to tell them you're taking skis/board (unless it changed recently?)

No, it hasn't changed.
Thanks andy, I saw nothing on their website about skis and originally had to ring them to ask if there was a charge. They didn't mention I had to phone and tell them, with my booking code, which is a bit strange since I was already talking to them. However I've done it now.
ski holidays
Quote:

Bergmeister wrote:
I think you can take skis free with KLM if you can fit them in your 20kg allowance - which we usually can

Not any more - for ticket bought after 28th March.
KLM/AirFrance have introduced Piece Concept which means you have a set "number" of bags (pieces). They used to use Weight Concept - this meant that you paid for a set amount of weight that you could take and this could be made up of any number of bags. But with the new Pieces Concept you get 1 bag that may be "up to" a certain limit but it's still only one bag.

Still only one bag so, as I said originally, you can take skis free of charge if they fit in your 20kg allowance. wink
snow conditions
CSki wrote:
Are there any airlines that accept snowboard bags that may have 2 pairs of skis in?

Unofficially all of them.

I have a Dakine double roller, which is one large snowboard type bag on wheels with another slightly smaller bag strapped on riding piggy back, you seperate the 2 for check in. When going with family I take 3 pairs of skis & 1 board and pack loads of other soft stuff around.
ski holidays
Quote:

CSki wrote:

Yes. In the last 10 years we've flown BA, Ryanair, Easyjet, Air Canada, KLM, United, Northwest, Thomsonfly, Jet2, Lufthansa, Swiss Air and Iberia and checked in 2 pairs of skis in 1 ski bag or snowboard bag with each of them.

Never had a problem.
ski holidays
The list in the 1st post has been updated -
latest report
Norwegian air. Skiing equipment(One pair of skis, poles and boots)(max 15 kg) NOK 216/€ 24 NOK 200/€ 22

Reasonable to me. Now no longer use Ryanair for ski trips to Norway.

Cheers
Bob
snow conditions
Inghams have released their 2010/11 ski brochure and it appears that their ski carriage charges have gone up from the £18 (listed in their preview brochure) to £35.
snow report
Looking at the 1st post - had a mild attack of the vapours until I realized that EJ's charge was £18.50, not £35, each flight.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy