Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Freeride World Tour finals at Verbier on Saturday

Poster: A snowHead
Freeride World Tour final starts 10am at Verbier on Saturday http://www.xtremeverbier.com/en/program/program-xtreme-verbier_31-144 Considered the finest Freeride event in the World

Here's a youtube from last year
http://youtube.com/v/9xyEHYtPJFE&feature=related

We watched from Mt Gélé last year which had a great view but you needed good binoculars. The offical viewing places with big screens were at Jumbo and Gentianes (I think). Anyone watched in previous years and got any feedback from one of those spots?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Top of the Jumbo is a good spot.
Lots of people, lots of the competitors hanging out after their runs and on a post adrenaline high....which made them very chatty and very willing to engage in conversation.
The main topics amongst the competitors were "Thank God we are all OK" and after that "Did you see Kai's run?"

I STRONGLY suggest you have binoculars.
Give Skidog a nudge and meet up to watch, there is a pair in his appartment.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
only ever seen it on TV, eurosport2 I think (could be extreme - when they're not showing cow riding rubbish) has been showing over stops on the tour, but I suspect they are not this years.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Chamonix event was on C4 on Sunday morning. Prob on their iplayer equivalent for those that missed it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Last year in Verbier they also had a big screen down in town.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If Jackie Paaso is there look for her going huge. She hucked bigger than most of the guys at Squaw.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Julia Mancuso is taking part this year. should be fun. Also, somewhere on UTube Didier Defago's descent (on GS skis!) - cool stuff. The tour has been on eurosport this winter, but not live AFAIK.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski wrote:
Julia Mancuso is taking part this year. should be fun. Also, somewhere on UTube Didier Defago's descent (on GS skis!) - cool stuff. The tour has been on eurosport this winter, but not live AFAIK.

Its here
http://youtube.com/v/qkwKon4mxy8

The weather doesn't look promising for the weekend Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thunderer, saw that video of Defago and wasn't too impressed with his technique until he got to the bottom and you could see he had Rossi GS skis on Shocked guy must have legs like tree trunks to get down the crusty bottom part on GS skis!!!

Weather should be alright on Saturday. Bigger disturbance coming in Sunday. Probably some clouds around and possibility of a shower but just as likely to be sunny - Cham forecast says 40% sunshine and it is usually more accurate for Verbier than the snow-forecast for Verbier itself.

We'll be up on the Col de Gentianes come rain or shine. Hopefully Swirly, Gorilla and RPF will be up to.
snow report
 brian
brian
What's the average gradient on that face? Watching Defago I was just about thinking I could get down that (hold the GS skis though). Confused Probably the camera is taking the scare factor a few notches down though.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brian, there's a pic on the fwt site which shows some of the lines down and I think the gradients of some sections - you need to squint because the text is v small. Anyway looks in the region of 45-50* most ofl the way
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
brian, From what I have read the top part is the steepest and most dangerous with sections at 55 degrees. The gradient reduces on the descent but you are still talking about slopes between 45 and 50 degrees as per Arno. Then add the fact that these guys are putting in 20 foot airs landing on a 45 degree face and then have to get balance back and brake hard to set up for the next cliff band and it becomes clear why this is not for the faint hearted. There is a Youtube of the guy who won a couple of years ago and he is quite open in that he shits himself before doing the Bec des Rosses and the main emotion at the bottom is relief to have got down in one piece.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
bobinch, yeah, I did say "watching Defago". Laughing The freeriders are on a different planet entirely. Anyway, 45-50 is going to look a tad more brown-panted in real life than in that vid!

Looks nicer going round to the east ...

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I actually thought Defago skied that really well all thing considered (bad snow, stiff race skis).
The top section is 50-odd degrees and very exposed.
Here is the view from the ridge line under summit of Bec De Rosses.

I have utmost respect for all the competitors who ski that face fluidly.
Most of them will, like Defago, will be pleased just to get down in one piece.

If Candide wins on the Bec then surely he becomes one of the most complete (free) skiers of all time ?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian, yep looks like the "cheats" option but it's the one we've got our eye on to be able to "tick off" the Bec des Rosses Very Happy

Would love to have a crack at the main face but it would be daft for someone of my limited steeps experience and ability. Not prepared to end up in a story like this http://www.tdg.ch/actu/suisse/freerider-blesse-grievement-bec-rosses-2010-01-17
snow report
Is that a win (Defago's run) for the 'fashion accessories' then? wink
ski holidays
bobinch, I think he looked quite relieved to have got down!!!.

Will look at web cam for Attelas Sunday morning before deciding wether to come and watch, what time will it kick off ????.

Have really enjoyed yours, Swirly, Gorilla and RPF reports and pics so far this season.
ski holidays
To be fair to Defago he did it on stock GS skis (I don't think even under a new name would have done that!) and if I'm correct he did it at the end of last season, while still actively racing (and the year before the olympics), so he wasn't going to kill himself on it. bobinch, his turns at the bottom make me think his legs had burned out.
ski holidays
thunderer, it's scheduled to start at 10am but keep in mind that the queues at Jumbo at that time will be horrendous. Pray for sunshine.

Sideshow_Bob, not enough bumps for under a new name! It looks super crusty at the bottom which would have been a nightmare on GS skis. And you're right, his legs were probably knackered from having got that far. On the other hand, skiing a downhill run in the squat position must prepare the legs pretty well for that!
snow report
 brian
brian
bobinch wrote:
Would love to have a crack at the main face but it would be daft for someone of my limited steeps experience and ability. Not prepared to end up in a story like this http://www.tdg.ch/actu/suisse/freerider-blesse-grievement-bec-rosses-2010-01-17

Ditto. There's nothing worse than these 40-something townies pitching up thinking they're the next Seth Morrison. rolling eyes

Doesn't sound like he even got his skis on. Sad
ski holidays
brian, apparently it's a bit easier if you carry on another 180 degrees!

Haggis_Trap, did you say you wished you'd had another axe for the climb? That might put even just the access in perspective.

Here's a photo of the face I took today:

snow report
Haggis_Trap, I agree with you 100%. The Bec des Rousses is clearly very steep, very dangerous and only armchair skiers would have the temerity to rubbish (even slightly) the technique of the Olympic downhill champion. I was well impressed with that vid and with Defago's descent, then when you see the skis. Shocked

Swirly, For a PHd your english is shocking! You took the photo of the face today - not a photo of the face you took today!!!! NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh Laughing
ski holidays
Can't wait to see Candide take this on, I still get the feeling he has some doubters so it would be great for him to win on the hardest comp face.
snow report
From observations skinning on the col de la Chaux today, I would anticipate at least 3" of windcrust on the main face. If correct, it is going to sluff like a bastard. Otherwise, it looks as well filled in as I suspect it gets.

On Sat, we're aiming for the 8.10am bus from Siviez on sat armed with a long lens each. We should be at Gentianes for about 9.15, all things being well. Critically, what time is it likely to finish - is there the possibility of getting a bit of a ski in afterwards or is it a case of a few beers followed by a mildly inebriated Stairway on the way home?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
3" of windcrust on the main face. If correct, it is going to sluff like a Fitzwilliam.

Yup - that is the crazy thing about this competion...
Some years it runs on really funky snow.

Quote:
Can't wait to see Candide take this on

+1...
I think he is good enough to win it ?

Here is a interesting video showing just how much respect the competitors have for this mountain.

http://www.zapiks.fr/nissan-xtreme-verbier-09-bec.html
ski holidays
My vote is for Candide to win.
latest report
The lines down with the gradients...

and the full size version in the Snow Media Zone. Click on the pic for the larger image...
https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/snowheads-personal-galleries/p19996-judges-videos-ski-men.html
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Haggis_Trap, have you been up there? And skied the North Face or down another way? Interested to hear about the experience.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow, I thought it was so much steeper like consistently 50+ degrees...
ski holidays
bobinch, you might spot a familiar face:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120747
snow conditions
skiking4, these are probably accurate gradients though, not apres-ski/pub/internet gradients Smile
snow report
Bobinch - skied it on last day of the 2008 season with a swiss friend (alex).
We had done everything else in the 4 vallee area - but there was still one last thing to get done whilst we were still in Verbier.

The hike up is probably just as exposed, and challenging, as the ski back down. We took the dog leg line - which is marked yellow above. Probably the easiest line off the summit - and also known as the womens competion route Wink Top section under the summit was a little intense and exposed for my liking (ice axe out!) - but once you get lower down it mellows out. Total respect for the competitors who ski that face fast, as it is just a maze of blind roll overs, rock and cliffs.

Normally if you want to win the xtreme then you need to ski something on the 'darkside' (skiers left).

Edit : Ha Arno - I had forgotten about the cow fights.... <legendary>

http://www.haggistrap.co.uk/verbier/VerbierSeasonBec.shtml

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 18-03-10 23:19; edited 5 times in total
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap, respect man. That is awesome!

Arno, thanks for the link.
ski holidays
Jeez, even the walk in is pretty gnar. Great photo on TGR of some serious hill-hugging Smile
snow report
Graham Chalmers (now works at Hillend) took part in the first ever verbier xtreme when it was still snowboard only.
As far as I know he is the only Brit to have ever taken part in the event? His humble 15th place finish is very worthy of proper respect Very Happy
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap, I am pretty sure there is a brit chick jessica venables who is also a boarder who did it a few years ago, don't know if she's any good but she obviously had balls!

One thing you can guarantee will be a seb michaud backflip at some point.
snow conditions
easiski,
Quote:

Swirly, For a PHd your english is shocking! You took the photo of the face today - not a photo of the face you took today!!!!

That's PhD and English... anyway I was tired. NehNeh

Back on topic, as gorilla said I wouldn't be expecting great snow on there, most probably sun-crust on the lines skiers right and given the weather yesterday possibly windcrust on the darkside proper.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Jeez, snowHeads and misinterpretation. rolling eyes

Just for the avoidance of doubt, when I said above, "Watching Defago I was just about thinking I could get down that", I in NO WAY meant that seeing someone tackle that face in a considered manner (and with the softening of the perception of angle thanks to the camera) takes it from the different planet of the fwt to something getting on for approaching the realm of skiable by the mere mortal, even if in reality it's still miles away.

What I ACTUALLY MEANT was I am waaaaaaaay better than the Olympic/Hahnenkahm/Lauberhorn winner who skis like an absolute gaper compared to the godlike adonis on skis, 60 degrees is a warm up, in the top 0.000001% of all skiers that is little old moi.

Now, the season is fast running out and I've got some serious armchair time to put in ... Toofy Grin
latest report
brian, glad you cleared that up Wink
ski holidays
Gsyfreerider, Nope, not at all, Seb is a Judge this year having just had his knee op done.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy