Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chemmy Alcott in a hot tub!

Poster: A snowHead
u brain, I've no idea but if not perhaps she should consider it Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe I'm being slow on the uptake here, but I am currently failing to understand the connection between Ms. Alcott's bathtime antics (and the public airing thereof) and her ability to slide down hills a lot faster than most of the people on this forum, or in the rest of the world for that matter. Have I failed to understand some basic principle of competitive skiing that says that off piste exhibitionist behaviour will slow you down on the hill? Someone please explain the physics that applies here.
Confused
-Mike
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Me too, but I am still waiting for the photo...!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well I'm afraid I can't find any pics of her in the hot tub or bath so these from her website will just have to satisfy Laughing

Good racing stance wink

And a pretty face as well Blush

I really cannot understand some peoples attitudes towards this young woman, she competes in 4 disiplines, Downhill, Super G, GS and Slalom, which is incredible, hardly anyone else competes in as many disiplines (male or female) and yet she is critisised as being a poor skier Shocked Last year she is rated by the FIS (on their website) as being 27th in the world as a combined total of all her results for the 2003/2004 season, this year she hasn't done as well primarily due to injury problems, yet despite a burst bunion on her foot she still races, I do not believe that anybody here has the right to critisise her guts or her determination to do well.

Now when it comes down to appearing in the bath, well maybe it was a mistake to appear like that on TV but I'm sure it was tastefully done, not having seen the more recent hot tub scene I can't comment on that, but the previous bath scene showed nothing at all Sad This girl has the potential to be the best British skier (male or female) on the circuit and yet we critisise her instead of praising her for her efforts and results, it's that sort of attitude that results in talanted youngsters not wanting to bother to compete further

Rant over Embarassed for now wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
D G Orf, well put.

The first picture is remarkable for the difference in edge angle between the inside and outside skis. On this thread, Martin Bell linked to some pictures of Bode Miller to illustrate the same point, but the effect is far more pronounced on the shot of Chemmy.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
By the way I've just been to the FIS web site these are the results from the 5th and latest list they've published for this season

Name DH points Rank SL points Rank GS points Rank SG points Rank

MICKEL Finlay 11.72 47 118.44 3494 50.98 963 14.26 50

BAXTER Noel 149.84 1483 17.96 103 23.50 241 60.29 540

BAXTER Alain 381.52 2967 11.74 48 23.40 236 220.16 3645

BELL Martin (95/96) 20.37 78 85.28 1191 49.97 757 25.62 148

ALCOTT Chemmy 14.52 47 26.37 125 24.69 177 20.32 61

The points come first for each discipline followed by the FIS rank in that discipline

From this we can see that Chemmy has the same DH rank as Finlay, is not much worse than Noel at Slalom, beets them all at GS and is only marginaly worse than Finlay at SG now that's impressive

By the way I've put in Martin Bell's results for the beginning of the 95/96 season which was the best standings I could find on the FIS site for him
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

yet she is critisised as being a poor skier

No, D G Orf, I don't think anyone said that. She's a fantastic skier. As they all are. And we love 'em! But, being British, they haven't had the opportunities compared to some other countries' skiers as we don't have much in the way of mountains, snow, ski culture etc here. To get where they are from such beginnings is a fantastic achievement.

But realistically - if they were different nationalities - they might all struggle to even get into the national team. (Then again, if they had been born in snowier climates they might all be challenging Bode, Janica etc for the top slots Cool )
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
maggi,
Quote:

But realistically - if they were different nationalities - they might all struggle to even get into the national team.

In Wengen this year I think it was Finlay who beat all bar one Swiss down the mountain, these people have the talent, but they have'nt got the history of support that the alpine countries have, I recall stories of the Bell's having to go from resort to resort in an old (I think) campervan , because they didn't have the budget to travel in a better way and I know that they used to have to prep their own skis when other teams had their own ski technicians, it's not just a case of having the talent, they need the support as well which is something that our country has a particularly poor record on compared to others, look at sailing as another example we do incredibly well in international events in this sport but many of our top sailors have to find their own sponsors and buy their own kit even for events such as the Olympics
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
D G Orf wrote:
maggi,
Quote:

But realistically - if they were different nationalities - they might all struggle to even get into the national team.

they need the support as well which is something that our country has a particularly poor record on compared to others, look at sailing as another example we do incredibly well in international events in this sport but many of our top sailors have to find their own sponsors and buy their own kit even for events such as the Olympics

I thought you were closing this subject down very nicely and Ms Alcott proven to be very good etc. QED.

Howver, the analogy with sailing is not the best. Loads of sponsorship and money flying through RYA inter alia for sailing ... much from The Lottery. Not sure of the numbers but would guess that PUBLIC money available to Sailing (as a competitive sport) is many, many times greater than that made available to Winter Sports. It runs into millions every year. And past success guarantees future funding ...

I seem to recall that about £3m of Lottery money was put into the last UK Olympic Sailing bid alone apart from the millions given to other sailing bits and bobs.

Anyone know how much the UK Winter Olympics team 2006 will get from the Lottery?

P.S. I know I've gone off thread but Ms Alcott deserves every penny she gets ... amzing how it is primarily the females who have ridiculed her. I wonder why? Little Angel
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
THIS THREAD IS ABOUT C4 WASTING MY VIEWING TIME with the dross that was Ms. Alcott's diary and NEVER about her skills. Get a grip you lot!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hells teeth, the thread police show up, only one year too late! Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque, succinct and to the point as ever. Have you complained to C4 about it?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I agree, C$ were wasting my time. She kept the bikini on!

Joke, joke. Honest
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nbt, Shocked Perhaps she's sponsored by Speedo Laughing Maybe if you all had a whip round you could offer more......

Quote:

Joke, joke. Honest
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque,
Quote:
a little less pointless nit picking personal point scoring please and a little more thought about how we can constructively support our sportsmen and women. This thread is my way of highlighting how poorly served they are by their publicity machines.

Yes, I got the point of your post. My opinion is that it's not her publicity machine that's failed Ms Alcott (in fact the "machine" got her some very valuable prime-time skiing-related airtime) - the problem is whether Ms Alcott's exercising control over her publicity machine. Someone bimbo-esque in appearance like Ms Alcott has to work hard to avoid being seen to have the personality and ability of a bimbo. Her C4 appearance, however, failed to do so.

So here's my support: If anything, I would hope Ms Alcott (and any other budding sportsperson) does read this thread and as a result that she appreciates that she's got to work as much on her publicity machine as she does her sport. It's not up the audience to look past the image and imply a skill. It's up to the image manager to convince the audience that the skill exists. Sounds harsh I know, but that's the way the media game is played these days.
ski holidays
I think they're working on the basis that she needs coverage first, before she's able to put ANY message across.

I think they're right. We're not keen because we already know who she is and what she does and would like to see more snow related action. But we are the minority.
latest report
Newbie50, some of the sailing was paid for but other bits were not, the 3 ladies who bought home a gold medal in the Yngling class raised considerable sums to be able to go to Athens themselves, but read this story from the BBC for further insight into the problems faced by the sailors
snow report
marc gledhill, but with shows at ungodly hours in the night only the fans will watch or tape the program anyway so why bother with the Bikini shots ?
snow report
D G Orf, any angle that can be used, will be used, and it may get repeated at a better time.
snow report
Going by this thread, I would say that her publicity machine is working pretty efficiently. Positive and negative points raised here, but by and large they cancel each other out. Without a doubt her snowHeads profile has risen considerably. Far more people have read and commented on this thread than on any other about a ski racer (unless you count Kwame wink ), no doubt including a percentage who previously knew very little either about the athlete herself or about the intricacies of elite level alpine racing. To my mind her publicists have shown themselves to be pretty astute!
snow conditions
D G Orf, Yes ,, Thanks for the article. So they actually got nearly £8m from the public purse. The sum of £500,000 for a Yngling Olympic campaign seems rather expensive too.

The sailors only complaint seems to be the difficulty in getting 'sponsorship' from private companies. Given that advertising in the summer Olympics seems to be heavily frowned upon, I understand their difficulty. On the other hand Ms Alcott appears to have successfully signed up Witan and good luck to her ( although why an investment company should be so supportive is beyond me!).

My only point was that Winter Sports does appear to be underfunded ( compared to other Olympic sports such as rowing/sailing etc.) .. I still have no idea how much they do get though !
ski holidays
PG wrote:
Going by this thread, I would say that her publicity machine is working pretty efficiently. Positive and negative points raised here, but by and large they cancel each other out. Without a doubt her snowHeads profile has risen considerably. Far more people have read and commented on this thread than on any other about a ski racer (unless you count Kwame wink ), no doubt including a percentage who previously knew very little either about the athlete herself or about the intricacies of elite level alpine racing. To my mind her publicists have shown themselves to be pretty astute!

Spot on.
ski holidays
'Publicity machines', 'publicists', 'spin doctors', 'PR agents', and associated trades, are a hangover from the 20th century.

The sooner we're rid of them the better.

I've no problem with advertising people and advertising. They pay upfront for space and airtime and we can dispense with it at will. It's a transparent affair. The shadowy shady 'public relations' trades that infest what should be independent objective space are really unwelcome.

If Chemmy Alcott's fragrant bubble baths are really the product of cycnical publicists they deserve a mediaeval dunking in a stinking pond.
snow report
marc gledhill, well no, actually these days you have to be on the ball image-wise from the instant you go seeking public attention. It's not something you "sort of" shuffle into and hope like hell that enough people like your personality - the most effective media personalities have had from the get-go either a very strong personal ability to manage their own image development, or they've found someone trustworthy to do it for them. Ms Alcott seems to be missing one or t'other.

PG Honestly, I would think this is one of those rare occassions of free advertorial. I doubt her publicist has any clue that this thread's going on..... Unless you're her publicist? Shocked
snow report
And if hadn't got my panties bunched over C4 wasting my time this thread would never have happened. I don't think that any publicity machine would be working towards that outcome.
ski holidays
Masque, unless you, PG & Manda are all employed by them. wink
latest report
There's no getting away from the fact that without the C4 programme few people would be discussing her as a racer or anything else, on snowHeads or elsewhere.

Well done Chemmy - second today in a good quality FIS giant slalom in Villard de Lans, with plenty of European and World Cup racers taking part...

http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/604/610.html?sector=AL&raceid=33156
snow report
I don't really mind seeing Miss Alcott in a bathtub or hot tub but given that it's a skiing program I'd prefer to see her skiing Confused

By the way, looking at those points she's seriously within the qualifying points for all 4 disciplines in the Olympics, anyone else here who can say they capable of competing in 4 disciplines in an Olympic games ?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marc gledhill,
Quote:

I think they're working on the basis that she needs coverage first, before she's able to put ANY message across.

I think they are certainly working on the coverage anyway. Very Happy

And for me, a hot tub is a perfectly natural place to talk about skiing. That and the bar...
so would you rather see her downing a few lagers?
ski holidays
I'd rather see her skiing, even if it was just trainning runs with maybe a comentary over the top
ski holidays
That is certainly the way it would have been done 20 years ago. But if Chemmy
wants to improve her "brand" then she probably has to be more visible (ahem).
Certainly in a season where she has struggled with injury.
snow report
Well done yet again Chemmy - second place on the podium once more yesterday in the second FIS giant slalom in Villard de Lans, behind French star Ingrid Jacquemod. Fourth after the first run, she had the fastest run in the second but had too great a deficit to catch up the winner...

http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/604/610.html?sector=AL&raceid=33157
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy