Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

April Advice, please?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just wondering if any of you had some advice for April skiing...

I usually ski mid-season (opting for picturesque, tree-lined resorts with cosy chalets) but a colleague and I now find ourselves in Geneva on the 13th April with 5 days to spare and are looking to drive somewhere for some skiing. Does high necessarily mean bleak vistas and bland architecture?!?! We would probably be sticking on-piste during the trip... Obviously snow is the main priority, but my colleague has never skiied in Europe before and so an aesthetically pleasing and cosy experience would be nice...

Any advice much appreciated!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tosto, April 13 should be nice and quite. You probably want to be reasonably (of have reasonable access to height). You could stay in Morzine (PDS) skiing around Avoriaz; Samoens or Les Carroz (skiing round Flaine); or in Chamonix/Argentiere. For example.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well the Grand Montets (Chamonix) should have plenty of snow and is most definitely aesthetically pleasing. though I don't think many people would describe it as a "cosy" place to ski. Invigorating, majestic, stunning, intimidating, rather. there are plenty of people on snowheads who know it very well and could give detailed information as to likely conditions. A slightly closer alternative is Flaine, but depending on the weather, the flaine bowl could be pretty slushy and it's definitely not aesthetically pleasing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd agree with under a new name that the PdS would be nice at this time of year.

Morzine is nice little village, but local runs might be a little worse for wear, so you'd probably end-up travelling to/via Avoriaz for the higher runs.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you. I had been ruling out anywhere but the pretty high based on the short-term weather forecasts suggesting warm + wet, but that is probably short-sighted of me and perhaps I should wait until nearer the time. I would really like to go to Chamonix as it sounds incredible in exactly the way Pam W describes it, but I have heard it's actually not that fun for on-piste and as we're going for such a short time, we probably won't hire an instructor/guide... again, any comments on the assumptions I'm making would be most welcome, and thank you again for the suggestions so far.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tosto, Cormayeur - just through the Mont Blanc tunnel ?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tosto, I've skied in La Tania at 1300m (north facing) for 8 of the past 9 Easter holidays and I have always been able to ski back to 1300m and have had some great holidays!

This is a shot of the home run from 2005 at 1300m, you can see the huge snow depth on piste, despite no snow in the trees!

and this was what greeted us when we arrived at 1300m a few days earlier...

which resulted in this

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tosto, I think you'd be sensible to wait. Places won't be busy. there could be plenty of decent snow around, but it's not guaranteed. If there's plenty, it would be a pity to confine yourself to some high place in advance. Our apartment is at 1550m and I would expect to be skiing out of here in mid April - but I know from experience that there might be just a fairly short part of the day when the snow has stopped being rock-hard and not yet become glue-like and sticky. Aspect becomes vital - you need south facing slopes for early in the day, then north and east facing for later, as they will resist the slush for longer. It might be fantastic sunny deck chair weather, or it could be raining to 2800m. Who knows?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tosto, Chamonix is absolutely great on piste. If you're keen on it, give it a go.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tosto, for aesthetically pleasing and cosy instead of driving you could take the rain from Geneva to Saas Fee, very quaint and guaranteed snow at that time as so high (village at 1850) and good glacier skiing and spectacular scenery. Some find the piste skiing a bit limited at 100km but its a lovely place and got lots of charm. Not much tree skiing due to the altitude though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy