Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montgenevre, Serre Chevalier or Vars? Any idea late season?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there.

A mate and I are looking to get a cheap week in before the end of the season in one of the places mentioned in the header.

Does anyone have any experience of these late season - we are thinking of going on the 10th April.

Many thanks.

Phil
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
e17phil, no experience of them late in the season but the week you mention will be the last week of the season for Vars I think whilst the others have a couple more weeks to go. I went to Montgenevre in Feb, it's high, had great snow, is a great little town. I would recommend it. Never skied Serre Chevalier so can't say.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
e17phil, we have often skied in Serre Chevalier around those dates or even later. April 20th 2009
http://youtube.com/v/8ijC3afctqU . April 2008 http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Chamoissiere/SerreCheApril08#
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I went to Montgenevre on the second to last week of the season several years ago, it was probably my best week's skiing ever. Had a guide and spent pretty much the whole week off piste and it was just beautiful. Plenty of spring snow and warm weather.

Piste-wise there is plenty of variety, and you can ski over the Italian border into Claviere which is very pretty. You can get to Soux d'Oulx and Sestriere as well.

It was the only resort around with any decent snow, so they were bussing people in from Serre Chevalier and other resorts which meant the pistes were pretty busy (not that that bothered us!).

Our hotel was directly opposite the main chairlift, just across the road, so we were up and out and on the slopes very quickly every morning.

I found it a superb late-season resort and the snow cover held well.

Oh, have been to Serre Chevalier as well for a week. I know it has many fans but I really didn't like it. The resort was too spread out and the lift system wasn't very efficient. The buses weren't great either and we ended up doing a lot of walking to get back to our hotel every afternoon. Nightlife/apres was terrible as well.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
2 weeks today at this time i'll be in Montgenevre having my first run of the week
can't wait !!!!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I had an absolutely epic day, purely on piste, in Serre Che last April, mind you a week later Montgenevre had 80 cm fresh snow... I think you'd have a good time at either of these, I don't know Vars so no comment there. I think Serre Che wins for piste skiing and Montgenevre off piste although this could be as I never really got to grips with Serre Che off-piste.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Been to Serre Che several times at Easter and the snow has generally been good, like anywhere it can have a poor year this years reports seem pretty good. Have just decided to go back this year. snowHead

In my experience of several trips up to Montgenvre from Serre Che Serre Che is likely to have the better snow at this time. There is higher skiing and more north facing stuff, though in any one year it may vary obviously. Never been to Vars so cannot comment.

PS I obviously don't really agree with Picadillys view on Serre Che but you do have to watch the buses in mid April they are less frequent than earlier in the season.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They've increased the frequency of the buses this winter, but you don't really need one if you choose your accommodation wisely unless you end your day in one of the other villages. Bus timetable http://www.serre-chevalier.com/IMG/pdf/Serre_Chevalier_bus_time_2010.pdf . There are also evening shuttles between the villages between 7pm and Midnight.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
T Bar, when are you out?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen Beaumont,
Flying out on 2 April returning 11th.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
T Bar, we're only around until Sunday the 4th, but happy to meet up for a beer or three.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont,
Sounds good, we are probably staying in Monetier as I think we have found an appartment that can do 8 nights (Last night will be in Milan as we have an early flight) Still to confirm tha appartment but definately off to Serre Che. snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
T Bar, excellent.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Many thanks for the info.

Still haven't decided where to go! Awaiting my mate to confirm he can have time off!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
can't comment on late in the season , but i'd go for serre che over Montgenvre any day, thats nto to say you should rule out a day trip up there as its included on the lift pass (1 day)
snow report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
They've increased the frequency of the buses this winter, but you don't really need one if you choose your accommodation wisely unless you end your day in one of the other villages. Bus timetable http://www.serre-chevalier.com/IMG/pdf/Serre_Chevalier_bus_time_2010.pdf . There are also evening shuttles between the villages between 7pm and Midnight.

Hmmm - I have to say I thought the bus service was pretty dire and don't rely on the buses to turn up late at night to get you back was my experience last week.

That said, the skiing is fantastic and you don't generally need to rely on buses to get between the 3 main villages.
snow report
I was in Montgenevre a week and a bit ago and had great snow, We had planned to spend a day or two in Serre Chevalier (plus perhaps Puis St Vincent and La Grave), but our guide said the snow was currently much better in Montgenevre so we never did.
latest report
Can we all just keep schtum about Montgenevre now please snowHead
snow report
Sarah you there week after next?
ski holidays
cockerhoop, no, wish I was going to be though, was there in Feb.
ski holidays
I had knee deep pow and bluebird skies on 28 April 2005 at Montgenevre
ski holidays
did you have a good time sarah any good tips?
latest report
Mike Pow, I see your knee deep and raise you a 135cm pole 3rd Apr 2009
ski holidays
Swirly, Mike Pow, shhhh Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy