Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

POC Back Protectors - any thoughts?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking of buying my first back protector. The ones that have caught my eye are those from POC, in particular the Spine Ergo and Spine Ergo Bug

http://www.pocsports.com/products/products.asp?id=20-Ski

I have seen that POC is becoming increasingly popular for the racers (and to a lesser extent recreational skiers). I've seen the POC logo on helmets, goggles and I am sure they wear their body armour too. I think that 'our Chemmy' uses POC too wink

I wondered if any snowHead have any first hand experience of the gear and also recommendations as to where to buy POC from. I see that many retailers claim to supply it but when you look closer it is either only available in S/XS sizes or is out of stock.......maybe POC are struggling to keep up with the increase in popularity?

In particular, it would be useful to know what the big differences are between the Spine Ergo and Spine Ergo Bug are because on the face of it, they look very similar. I am guessing that the Bug is a 'cut down' version of it's big brother

Look forward to hearing people's thoughts

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sleipnir, try http://www.onebelowzero.com/

I have a couple of POC helmets which I'm very happy with, although I'm glad I didn't pay full retail price for them. Never used their body armour so couldn't comment on that. Lack of availbility might be because its the end of the season. I suspect most retailers get one shipment in at the start of the season then sell it until its gone.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers rob@rar. Hadn't thought about the old end of season point - going to ask some mates in Sweden (POC being based in Åre) if it is any cheaper there - I suspect not!

I wonder if any of the racers at Hemel use the back protectors - maybe Skimottaret will reply and let me know
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You shoud've mentioned it yesterday!

I use an unbranded motoX spinal protector that zips into full body armour if I fancy try attempt anything at the park on my board!

The Sport 2000's own branded 'Stuff' is very good value and is an excellent product... had a look at the adult gear but I bought a back-board for my son.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

You shoud've mentioned it yesterday!

Sorry mate!! Only thought of it yesterday when I had a 'moment' when skiing in Mühlback when I took some air over a bump and landed on one ski, the other waving around wildly for a few secs. Thankfully, it all ended ok, but the more you ski the more I think....sooner or later I am going to come a real cropper!

Will take a look at the Sport 2000 stuff
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sleipnir wrote:

In particular, it would be useful to know what the big differences are between the Spine Ergo and Spine Ergo Bug are because on the face of it, they look very similar. I am guessing that the Bug is a 'cut down' version of it's big brother

The Ergo uses EPP Expanded Polypropylene padding, which is designed to withstand repeated impacts without permanent deformation.

The Ergo Bug uses EVA padding which is softer and more comfortable.

The outer hard shell and design is the same on both.

Go for the Bug for normal skiing use and the Ergo if your jumping off cliffs.

I took a massive knock on holiday this year and my POC helmet certainly did it's job in keeping me off of the bloodwagon. Their Gloves are really good too. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sleipnir, have a look at forcefield body armour.... personally in think a backpack is plenty of protection.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the heads up Spyderman, on the difference between the two models. Like you said, the Bug seems to be more than enough for normal skiing. The money I save (compared to it's bigger brother) will mean that I could invest in the Cervical and Coccyx modules which snap into the protector to give extra protection to the top and the bottom of your spine

skimottaret, will give forefield a look. I know what you are saying about a backpack, but sometimes I don't wear mine and also want some protection for when I'm mountain biking in the hills in Austria, where 9 times out of 10 I'll not have a large backpack
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sleipnir, i did a fair amount of consulting work for forcefield and i think they have good products and could recommend, i only wear one when i was on dry slopes but would wear one GS training...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy