Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nendaz 20th March

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,

Just booked up for Nendaz with Inghams via Last Minute for £199 from Glasgow. Result!!!

I have searched through the forums and I have plenty of tips about Nendaz generally. We have never been to Nendaz or Verbier but have skied mostly piste, some low exposure off piste and some itineries in 3 V, Val D, Les Arcs and La Plagne in the last few years. 3 of us going with me the skier and two boarders all mid to late thirties.

Looking at the piste map, there seems to be a lot of lifts with no pistes marked and was wondering if swirly, gorrilla and RPT might fancy meeting up for beer or two to give us some tips or possibly to meet up on the slopes at some point. We are big on snow and happy to ride from first to last lift.

Ski in Scotland most of the time and really enjoyed all of the off piste on offer at Glencoe, Nevis, CG and the Gorm. Conditions have been epic this year resulting in some first descents as well as full vertical at Nevis skiied. I wouldnt say once in a life time but hopefully back to the good old days and as a result spent most of my Cash here.

Anybody else any tips for getting the best out of Nendaz. Is the snow pish at the bottom? Most of the snow reports are reporting 10cm at base.

Thanks

Alan
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alan,

Just got back from 8 nights in Nendaz, great snow and skied hard off piste all week, never had any issues with rocks or crud, all good and I'd thoroughly recommend it. Skied 50/50 itinerys and on-piste, no pish at all, and what a place - big itinery routes and red/ black pistes used to connect all week and its in excellent condition. We've skied 40-50 weeks over many years and have skied Verbier before 2-3 times but I rate Nendaz and the links even better. Much is said about its poor links but thats not true as far as I can say. We were up on 9am empty bubble out of Nendaz, down fast red and up poma then quick cable car to top of Col Du Fou, then mega run down to Siviez to warm legs up and into bottom of Tortin by 10.15 am latest. The Verbier guys are all still in bed and dont hit Tortin until 11.30am so plenty of time for Chassoure bumps, Col Du Gentain and then up Mont Gele and down Vallon Darby to Tsoumas, quick motor around using the mega Verbier system and back via the Col Du Fou itinery on back and some mega runs on piste down into Nendaz. No queues all week and best access to powder and bumps I've had including 3 Valleys, Espace Killy. Its up there with St Anton for opportunities and my knees are feeling it!

Very cold and sunny all week -10/15C all week and snow holding up well. Needs a bit of snow in fairness on south facing slopes, but still v cold and the earlier out in the morning the better, stick to the north facing slopes, highly recommended. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowscot, my guiding "fees" have been clearly set out in the Verbier snow report thread Laughing

When you mention lifts with no pistes I guess you mean things like Chassoure, Gentianes and Mt Gele. There are itineraries off all these lifts, particularly heading in the direction Verbier-Siviez. None of them are that hard although they're all pretty well mogulled until we get another big snowfall. They take the place of black runs tbh (although officially uncontrolled) as the only true black here is the one off Mt Fort.

The snow's fine to the bottom of all the lifts although as it's beginning to warm up it might turn a bit slushy. Today was the first day I've found genuine spring snow off piste though for an idea of how the temperatures have been. That said I wouldn't be at all surprised if you've had much better snow in Scotland this winter. Always up for a beer!!

Quote:

The Verbier guys are all still in bed and dont hit Tortin until 11.30am so plenty of time for Chassoure bumps,

Don't know what this is about, you can get there much faster from Verbier given the Chassoure gondola doesn't open till half 9. From here, however, you can be up Mt Fort a lot earlier where you can find runs without bumps.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No offence meant, I was only meaning that it seems that the Verbier based people dont seem to hit bottom of Tortin until 11.30am and plenty of quick access up to Col Du Gentain - it gets noticeably busy there at Tortin at about 11.30 - 12.30 as the Verbier crowds arrive.

I agree that the snow is good - recommend Mt Gele and down into Tortin great, but be early to get best snow.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We did the Nendaz trip of lastminute.com with Inghams at the beginning of February and it is great, very good value Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Markymark29 wrote:
I agree that the snow is good - recommend Mt Gele and down into Tortin great, but be early to get best snow.

Best marked run right here ^^ Giant area with a few bowls with some nice hucks too
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Swirly, I'll pm you later on this week to see when would be best. Snow forecast is forcasting a dump next Friday Saturday, but not sure whether the ski companies bribe them to show this Very Happy. Fingers crossed, already had thigh deep powder a couple of times this season over here. 11 degrees in Glasgow today and snow is starting to go on the hills down here but hopefully will last a lot longer up North. I might get biking Laggan before Easter!

Marky Mark, great post! Cannae wait! Toofy Grin

In terms of the itineries, suitable for boarders? Are there a lot of flat bits? Do you all use full Avo gear for the itineries?

Annie, how was the accommodation was it a fair bit out or quite close to the lifts?

Thanks

Alan
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There was just two of us and we were in a studio apartment opposite the gondala Very Happy . However the other two groups, one of four, the other three, were in apartments at the bottom of the hill, which is only a five/ten minutes walk away and there is a regular bus service.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi, we're also going to Nendaz 20th March with Inghams. From Gatwick though. Looking forward to my first Swiss trip.I am a recent fanatic at the ripe old age of 40 (5th trip in just over a year!) and dallied with some off piste for the first ime in Bansko this January. I am keen to try some of the itinerary runs in the 4 vallees but unsure as to whether we need Transceiver, probe, shovel etc for all these off piste runs or whether some are close enough to groomed areas not to worry?

Any advice appreciated.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Domqrima - I'd always recommend carrying a tranceiver, probe and shovel and ABS if poss (see my other post I have an ABS rucksack for sale.....!) Also know how to use them. Seriously these slopes will be getting sun baked by end of March so exercise caution especially late morning and onwards, and any risk >level 3 be very careful - best to be geared up, you can hire all this kit at Neige Adventure/ Cactus in Nendaz if needed, costs a bit but best to be prepared.

Alan - Also these routes are well suited for boarders, big steeps for carving with plenty of techy areas, bumps and traverses, some areas of flats but keep your height, traverse out and you'll be fine - plenty riders out there on these runs all big grins. Very Happy

For a good apres drink in Nendaz go to the Les Etagnes bar right next to the bubble station, big sunny terrace, super-friendly staff and great music/ vibe, chilled beers in the sun.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

In terms of the itineries, suitable for boarders? Are there a lot of flat bits? Do you all use full Avo gear for the itineries?

Yes although bumpy. Mt Gele has a pretty big traverse out of it and Col de Mines and Vallon D'Arby have one in to them but they're not to bad. I do carry avvy kit all the time and officially the itineraries aren't controlled but I doubt they'd be open in dodgy conditions although as it warms up I'd avoid them after they've been baked a bit.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowscot, Some pics from today..... It's fair to say that you're going to one of the best ski areas in the world. To enjoy it to its full you would benefit from a guide or someone who knows it. The itineraries are top to bottom mogul fields at the moment but the real wink "itineraries" are still in superb condition as you will see from the photos...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=62906&highlight=snowscot,
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
swirly, see my other post, one of my mates has made a bit of an back bottom of things and cheap holiday for someone going cheap!

You had posted on your trip report re Scottish Skier but I am not sure whether this is Doug Bryce from Winterhighland. I have posted there as well!

Copy of post

Hi Folks,

My numpty of a boarder mate decided to play 5 aside football on an already weak knee and buggered it up on Sunday. Not insured Sad

I therefore have a place for a upper intermediate/expert or whatever for a self catering trip to Nendaz/Verbier on an AOA deal from Glasgow flying out 20th March at 7.20

Sharing with 2 thirty somethings, one skier and one boarder. Non smokers and not party animals but happy to get pished now and again.

Flights, Transfers and Ski Carriage and looking for £100 + admin fee to change ticket.

Anybody fancy it, text Alan on 07949779924.

Cheers for reading!

Regards

Alan
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowscot, goodluck with finding someone, you should at that price! Doug is Haggis Trap on here (although he posts on TGR as Scottish Skier) so the Scottish Skier in my posts isn't him: it all gets a bit confusing!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi folks,

Got the place passed out to someone from Winterhighland, so now looking forward to arriving. Hopefully, the forecasted rain falls more as snow at the weekend?

Are the pistes getting hard?

Swirly, if it is okay I will pm you re contact details. What would be the best day next week to meet up?

Regards

Alan
snow report
snowscot, was fine yesterday. Be honest with you the pistes were firmer in Jan. It is beginning to warm up a little, though so I would anticipate a bit more of a freeze thaw cycle going on.

The only area of minor concern is the snow cover on the link between the top of Tracouet and Plan de Fou. It is getting a little thin at the bottom. This is pretty minor, though as the skiing is not, imho, especially memorable.

Drop Swirly a PM. I think we'll be on the Mt Gele watching the comp on 20th but will be out and about after that.
snow report
snowscot, I imagine they will be first thing, althiough despite the warm temperatures they haven't completely turned to slush yet, it's worth pointing out that when we say warm, at the moment the temperature is only average for the time of year, it's just been bloody freezing so it now feels hot.

I'm about most evenings although might be knackered depending on what we've done that day, even then I should be able to handle a couple in the bar!

Other than that: what gorilla says, I skied the link the other day, normally use the bus and it was bare in a few places but they're working hard to keep it skiable and doing a good job, elsewhere no problems.
ski holidays
Swirly/Gorilla,

Out in Nendaz at the moment, got some freshies yesterday on the ridge line on Mont Fort, and some Freshies today on the Greppon Blanc, snow is variable. When we were hiking up over the back looked immense if a little sun baked.

Bumped into Dom, a fellow snow head. quite sad really that the only two skiers on Combatzeline and the Blue above Siviez in the pishing rain on Sunday were snowheads.

i'll PM you to catch up. In the Cactus bar getting free wifi at the mo!

Regards

Alan
snow report
Was in Nendaz last week.

Conditions got really slushy towards the end of the week. Read +12C at the top of Tracouet on Friday.

The black run from Plan du Fou back home was a mix of slush and mud. Although I must say that the itinery run (yes, all moguls from top to bottom) from Plan du Fou was great as it was still in bright sunshine even at the end of the day. Skiing the lower slopes into Verbier was even more pants though - worse cut up slush.

My only tip for you is not to ski into Thyon. Rubbish runs, and needs 5 drag lifts to get you back to Siviez. Who on earth was responsible for that?

Hope the weather's improved over the weekend for you now snowscot
ski holidays
Hi folks,

Yes, the weather is baking hot and the locals still cannot believe me walking about in shorts in Tshirt in Nendaz station.

Snow is still good up high and depending on which aspect will be slushly moguls at the bottom or perfect spring snow. We managed some freshie's yesterday on Mt Gele, excellent snow in the coluoirs on the Attelas side and managed to get some more fresh coming into Tontin from a very very wide traverse. My snowboarder mates are not talking to me.

Thyon under both bubbles right down to bottom station were lighting quick and good spring snow, lapped them a good few times, spent the afternoon in the pro park killing my knees with the jumps. snow was more slushy today lower down but when the sun went away quickly firmed up.

Last run today was a hiked line on the front face of Greppon Blanc, it had a few freeze thaw cycles but then sun had softened it to perfect corn and could see my tracks from the top of the Combazeline Chair. Definite rewards for a bit of a hike.

Over the back of Greppon Blanc looks excellent especially the back face of the peak between Mount Rouge and Greppon Blanc. No tracks and sun baked therefore discretion was the better part of valour.

Alan
ski holidays
snowscot, Nice work. Mont Gele was closed today as was Tortin so I ended up skiing pistes on my fatties loads of fun especially the slush. It must be 10 days since I was propper off piste. Shocked
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy