Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japanese Resorts get the Jitters

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A major downturn in numbers skiing or boarding in Japan and it's impact on the hotels and resort managements.
Quote:
SHIGA KOGEN, Japan The Japanese Alps sparkled in the sun after fresh powder dusted this ski resort, the largest in Asia. But it was a weekday morning and almost 20 percent of the 71 lifts were closed. A long string of chairs climbing one mountain flank was empty, except for one black-clad figure.
Twenty years ago, Japan's ski resorts resembled Tokyo Station on the slopes. Today, the new image could be someone skiing alone. Despite abundant snow, fresh air and stunning mountain views, the number of skiers in Japan, the world's second-largest skiing nation, has dropped in half over the past decade

Interesting 3 page article comparing the problems in Japanese snowsports with the successes in USA and looking at how the Japanese golf courses tackled a similar downturn in popularity. From the International Herald Tribune

Quote:
"Some of the Japanese mountains will close, and they should," said Roger Donazzan, executive chairman of Harmony Resorts Niseko, a private Australian company that bought Hokkaido's Niseko area last fall.
Through 2010, Donazzan plans to invest about $200 million to create a new base at the mountain village, capable of sleeping 8,000 visitors.
Although Japan's government has set a goal of doubling foreign visitors by 2010, the concept of catering to foreign skiers is still alien to many ski area managers.
"By next season, almost all our trail maps, signs, and menus will be in English and Japanese," Donazzan said of Niseko. "Then we are going to add Korean and Chinese."
A next step will be to promote skiing to South Koreans, where an estimated 4 million skiers crowd every winter into only 13 ski resorts.
The big prize would be China, where an estimated 1 to 2 million people now are skiing.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
they definately got me going. i can speak and read a lil jap, who needs english signs!
ok make sure i go before 2010, that way i can ski by myself snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy