Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dry slope racing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks

I've decided to take the kids to a ski club ( to progress on dendix ) they are 9 and 11 oh and im 40 ish lol, the questions are:

1. how much will it benefit them skiing and learnig to do gates on dendix when they go back to snow?
2. i've decided to ski with them and learn to do gates, I intend to do my BASI 1 this year, will I benefit or is the technique different
3. At 40 I feel old but love skiing that much I wish I had done it earlier, will I be able to develop through gates at my age?
4. does skiing on dendix help or hinder yur snow technique?
5. Do I need to buy my own ski's to develop?
6. I will buy the kids boot but do they really need ski's to?

role on next year in acase i cant get away again this year:o)

lots of questions I know but this aspect is all new to me although 20 years late lol
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. Hugely
2. Benefit immensely - although not directly relevant to BASI 1.
3. definitely
4. help immensely
5. yes, when you get near to doing real races, but not really necessary to start with. I bought my first SL pair 6 months after starting training. You will need different skis for Dendix to those for snow (Dendix beats hell out of edges and bases, and you want no longer than 160cm - most people use 155cm).
6. as 5. You will probably be able to get 2nd hand from other kids who have grown out of their previous pair. Check up at Silksworth, or look at other club sites.

Once you get to higher levels, there are differences in technique between snow and dendix, but they're variations on the same basics. Ravens also have a session at Castleford once a month (IIRC), so you can get both in through the same club (you can still use your short skis just fine at Cas, unless you go in for one particular race series, where you'll need 165cm).

There are two really good guys at Ravens in the 30-40 age group. I've met Claude at quite a few races last year and he's a really friendly guy - just don't be put off by how good he is! There's a great bunch of 40-somethings racing on dry-slopes with camaradery mixed in with the rivalry. I mostly rub up against the various southern guys, but there are quite a few at Pendle as well as the Ravens guys. You're certainly not too late to start (I was 45 when I started race training, for similar reasons to you - but without the excuse of taking the kids along Wink ). Do be prepared to never have a free weekend in Summer ever again though Laughing - and get yourself some ski tuning gear, you'll be getting extremely familiar with your edge files.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What a lot of questions in one post.

1. If you can ski on Dendix then you can certainly ski on snow, but it doesn't work the same the other way around. Dendix will find all those little faults and mistakes you can get away with on snow. Skiing gates teaches you at a very basic level to be able to turn when you need to, not only when you want to. At a higher level it teaches balance and techniques that you can use anywhere. My skiing has improved immeasurably since I started skiing gates (although I am still rubbish at it).

2. You will have to wait for another poster to tell you more about BASI 1 and gates. In my view, skiing gates will not directly contribute to BASI 1, but it will help your overall technique.

3. 40 is quite young enough to start skiing gates and, yes, you can learn the techniques. I hate to say it, but I started at 55. We have several over 50s who regularly run gates and take part in the summer races. In fact, the over 50s group seems to be becoming as competitive as the kids groups.

4. Without a doubt it helps considerably.

5. You will need to buy a pair of 155 slalom skis fairly quickly along with helmet (a full helmet that is with face guard), pole guards and shin guards as a minimum. You may want to consider elbow guards and other body armour if you get hooked.

6. Not initially, but eventually you will need to buy skis for them. It is important to keep the edges sharp and to apply wax to protect the bases.

Hope this helps.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Curtains, It all depends on what you want to get out of it.

I'm one of the coaches of Lions at Castleford, we get Ravens and Sharks members coming to our race training sessions and I seem to spend all my time with them trying to get rid of the habits they have picked up on the dry slope.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nordic skiing is an exhilarating and aerobically demanding sport; the SkiErg makes this terrific aerobic exercise accessible to anyone. Skiing is impact-free and suitable for all ages and abilities.
1.Low-impact (easy on the knees and ankles)
2.High calorie burning (because it uses so many muscle groups)
3.Works the upper body (involved throughout the pull)
4.Works the lower body (the legs complete each pull)
5.Works the core (the abs and back are integral to the skiing motion)
6.Effective at building both aerobic fitness and strength
7.A great way to relieve stress for overall health and well-being
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I seem to spend all my time with them trying to get rid of the habits they have picked up on the dry slope.

But not the same habits they would have if they did no dry slope, perhaps.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Curtains, do you mean basi 1 coach or basi 1 instructor. if racing is your thing the coach pathway may be right for you...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whilst we're on the topic, why BASI 1 and not SnowSport England 1 then SSE coaching 2 - which looks an easier (and cheaper) pathway.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy