Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hemel snow

Poster: A snowHead
madmole wrote:
Hemel also doesnt help itself by allowing groups of about 30 kids in a "ski team" take over the place during public hours

I tend to agree with you there. There's a time and place for race clubs and it's not during public hours, especially when lessons are taking place.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I suspect that there isn't another fairly regularly posting snowHead who has a continued experience of both MK and Hemel equal to mine (though I'm prepared to be corrected on this). As I have said many times before, how good an experience you have at a snowdome is primarily related to how busy it is and how busy it has been on the day you visit. How much it has been used is the main determinant of resulting snow quality (though a part is obviously played by techniques and experience in relation to snow making and maintenance), and how busy it is (as well as how much of the slope is available for general recreational use) is the main determinant of how much you get out of the visit.

Now that Hemel is operational and rightfully very popular (as it's a well run, pleasantly modern facility, and most critically more easily accessible from London), and despite its privileged status on snowHeads (due to links with prominent snowHeads and important figures), it's unsurprising to see that the same complaints that used to be levied at MK are now being levied at Hemel. And of course this is the reality of snowdomes (all snowdomes, not just MK - which due to a few individuals has been disproportionately maligned on snowHeads) - that space is at a premium and artificial snow deteriorates with use (wet sugar at Hemel, flour/sand at MK!).

Imho however they're still miles better than dry slopes and I count myself very lucky to be within striking distance of 2 very good facilities.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
slikedges, Yes, I think those of us who are 'within striking distance' (I live in MK and am 35 minutes drive from Hemel on a good day) can be inclined to get a little 'spoilt'. However, with (hopefully) improving technique, I find I usually enjoy being faced with more challenging conditions and the need to adapt to them - it could otherwise become boring fairly quickly. Personally, I find the ambience at Hemel better for me, but that may be because of the snowHeads links and the coaching I've received there.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
slikedges, I guess its disappointing because Hemel got off to such a good start, admittedly in the slow season, with staff who actually appeared to give a damn, no closure of half the slope for sledging and limited numbers of rails left on the slope (personally I don't mind these per se but they do have a severely detrimental effect on the traffic patterns of the average user). I've always thought they ought to properly police the left hand lift for low level skiers and boarders and kids because its simply too difficult a pick up.

The lesson is that indoor skiing is probably best done from May - October like alpine skiing is best outside Feb half term wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Iski, Hemel bumps on a weekend evening, formed naturally due to how busy it gets, can indeed be good for learning on as they're well formed but much more forgiving than most real examples. Bumps don't ever really form naturally at MK for various reasons. The "ice" at either MK or Hemel is usually possible to get a proper edge on if attentive to your skiing, so again, good training. The deeper/softer stuff in both is a fair deal heavier than much you'd encounter on a real mountain but again is worth practising all your steering skills in. I agree about the ambience at Hemel, and coaching of the type you have is certainly more accessible at Hemel.

fatbob, I always expected it, so I'm not disappointed! You're right about the staff though - generally much better attitude at Hemel, I'm certain largely thanks to excellent leadership, ensuring staff feel valued etc. While the financially imperative but intensely irritating practice of closing one slope (and usually much earlier than necessary) for tobogganing that happens at MK doesn't need to happen at Hemel, lessons on the main slope with little kids come out early on a weekend at Hemel, and there isn't a second main slope for faster adults to ski on instead. You are of course right also about the best time to visit the domes!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
slikedges wrote:
The deeper/softer stuff in both is a fair deal heavier than much you'd encounter on a real mountain
I presume you mean on groomed pistes - not very "real" in absolute terms - but even there I'm surprised you think so.

I've not found the bumps beside the top half of left hand lift (looking up) so well shaped as you suggest. They seem to be (in my limited experience) more like long ridges sloping down from right to left. Doing short turns down this edge (where nobody skis which makes it attractive when the slope is full) you have to cut across them. Not that I'm complaining, it was a good challenge.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowball, it may not be very deep but it is quite heavy. Not as heavy as what can be encountered on a mountain of course (the range is incomparable) but certainly heavier/denser/stickier on a daily basis than most of what is mostly encountered on or off piste on a daily basis. I think it has a quality of its own actually, different even from well used artificial snow in a resort. The bumps on a weekend evening after a busy day are bumps, plain and simple. I sometimes have to teach in them.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
slikedges, I agree, it's an unusual texture to the snow. Often catches me out if I'm not paying attention.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We'll see what it's like tonight, with only half the slope in use and the place full of racers. I can feel a mogul lesson coming on.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
slikedges, seems very easy to me compared to almost any off-piste. Not light new powder, perhaps, but you don't get that very often. Most off piste so-called powder is old and stiff with perhaps a thin crust on top and really grips the skis.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I much prefer Hemel to MK. As people have touched upon, I've never seen any toboggoning at Hemel, so you get a wider track for the crowds to use instead of being funnelled down like you are at MK. The staff are more friendly, and as someone who is still hiring boots, the boots at Hemel are better than MK - I very rarely get boots in my size at MK as the size is apparently too popular.

Both are about 30 mins from me, so I'm a bit spoilt. I work in MK so it tends to get visited more often, the added advantage of MK is that there's a reasonable choice of shops and restaurants so it can be a combined trip where as the only reason to go to Hemel is for the snow.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think many people are forgetting what it was like before we had these fridges popping up everywhere - I had to learn to ski on a muddy dry slope in the back bottom end of Birmingham, got some really nasty rashes from even minor falls, and the bar was a Coke machine that never had anything in it and just stole your money.

The Hemel slope does get busy, and to some extent will be a victim of its own success. I find with people being inconsiderate a fairly short sharp response soon has them in line and behaving themselves. Failing that, walking into reception and asking for a refund as a result of their behaviour will get action from someone.

The snow does get a bit heavy and chopped up, but there is a limit to what is possible. You are making snow indoors and it's 10 degrees outside, with hundreds of people punting down it every day. If you want better snow, go at a different time. Once the season is over things will be much quieter, we found in August you can have the place to yourself on a weeknight sometimes, and even at weekends you can wait your turn and have the slope to yourself fairly easily early or late.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was at Bowls ski centre for the weekend. They've got a dendix slope there, and I have to say, I got really nostalgic when the water jets came on to wet the plastic. Oh, for the good old days!!!! Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowqueen11, water jets and walking your skis over a bit of carpet covered in traffic wax, HEAVEN ! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Quote:

I've never seen any toboggoning at Hemel

I may be (almost certainly am) be wrong, but when MK opened there was never any, or at least limited, sledging there. I think this came later to keep the money coming in when the initial rush of skiers has slowed. Will be interesting to see if Hemel goes the same way.
snow conditions
Interesting thread to read!

Lets face it all the domes have times when the snow is less perfect and more challenging particularly in busy periods but should this be only seen as a problem?

Forgive me for being candid but on the whole but what it appears some people want is what's often called 'hero snow', as in snow that makes you feel like you're a skiing hero (put unkindly it flatters you and makes you think you're better than you really are). We've had loads of that stuff this year in Scotland (in fact it sounds like there's more 'hero snow' in Scotland than Hemel lol Wink ) but usually there's not so much and conditions aren't so consistent and some people who hit the more challenging stuff will tend to blame the snow rather than see it as a challenge to up their ability.

Now, rob@rar and spyderman have been kind enough to explain why the situation is as it is, which has enlightened me because I didn't know that stuff about having to wait after grooming - is it the same on non-artificial snow? So we have a choice, we can make sure we only use the slope when it's less busy and hasn't had high traffic before we get there, which covers most of the low season that's coming up, or we can see it as a challenge to our skiing and grab some lessons to improve our abilities to cope with the ice and the sugar. Personally I suspect the latter would be of more general benefit and there are two extremely tallented and friendly fellows at the dome who I am sure would be more than happy to help you ski the 'non-hero snow' better - see if you can guess who they are Wink Toofy Grin
snow report
Boris wrote:
I may be (almost certainly am) be wrong, but when MK opened there was never any, or at least limited, sledging there. I think this came later to keep the money coming in when the initial rush of skiers has slowed. Will be interesting to see if Hemel goes the same way.

Hemel offers 'ringos' (sliding in inner tubes things). This takes place in a defined area on the nursery slope, never on the main slope. Over the winter when the nursery slope was busy the ringos pen was taken down. I guess they will put it back up after Easter when the place gets quieter, as the ringos is very popular, especially for kid's birthday parties.

The only regular time there are 'obstructions' on the main slope is on Fridays, when there are a number of jumps and boxes ready for Friday Freestyle Nights. These have to be built overnight on Thursdays so the kickers and landing ramps have time to freeze and solidify so they don't break apart during the very popular Friday evening sessions.
snow conditions
I suspect that the number of people going into an indoor slope makes a big difference to the humidity whatever they do once they are inside. I have been involved in running races at all the indoor slopes in the UK from when each one opened and it seems to take the staff quite a long time to get to know how to fine tune the system. All the buildings are different so there is the same learning curve for each one.
latest report
What is the quietest time at Hemel? I would have to drive a fair way around the M25 so a quiet time on both the roads and slope would be nice.
snow report
tiffin, weekday mornings, the earlier the better, with the exception of Wednesdays (Ladies Morning) and Fridays (freestyle equipment on the main slope). Weekdays evenings you should aim for Tuesday or Thursday. If you are restricted to weekends the later in the day the better.
snow conditions
rob@rar, ta
latest report
roga, You've hit the nail on the head perfectly.
snow report
If the snow quality relies on the humidity caused by the volume of people, can you not adjust the de humdifier to suit and also make the snow a tad colder?
latest report
skidmarks, Hemel does that. Some days it is noticeably colder than others, although I don't know how quickly this has an impact on snow quality. I once asked for the temperature to be lowered as it felt a bit warm (much to the disgust of my clients who were skiing there all day and got quite cold Embarassed ). In my experience the management at Hemel are extremely focused on making sure snow quality is as good as it can be. They understand that it is one of the most important factors in keeping people happy, and deciding whether they will ski again at The Snow Centre.
latest report
rob@rar. It defenitly felt warmer than normal last wednesday. Sad
ski holidays
skidmarks, lots of ladies generating hot air?

[rapid exit, stage left]
snow report
looks like the winter manic period is coming to an end. Snow quality tonight at Hemel is much improved, with reports of the slope being much quieter than recently. Bring on the Summer. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boris wrote:
Quote:

Hemel also doesnt help itself by allowing groups of about 30 kids in a "ski team" take over the place during public hours

I was at MK last night (snow conditions sound similar) and was similarly annoyed by kids taking over the small bit of slope left, the rest having been fenced off for sledging. I did resort to physical violence as none of them had grasped the concept of queuing to use the lift Toofy Grin

Its one of the reasons I don't go to MK anymore and its certainly making me think twice about going back to Hemel. I don't know whether they actively teach arrogance to the kids, but as a paying customer, it damn well feels like it. The kids have the attitude (and back it up with the excuse) "I'm allowed to coz I'm in the race team". I've raced in the ERSA summer league with my 6yr old and if he displayed ANY of the behaviour or lack of respect for others that (some of) the Hemel youth display on a Wednesday evening, then I'd stop him skiing in a heartbeat.

Its happened EVERY wednesday evening I've been over the last few months, and certainly tarnishes what appears to be an excellent facility. As someone else has already mentioned, they all seem to be mates with ski patrol and hence nothing is done about it.

Nice slope, good instructors and facilities, tarnished by a few.

Si
latest report
fishslice, Just so we dont get tarred with a big brush the wednesday session isnt kids from Hemel Race Club, it is a private session for Kandahar Race Club

other than general arrogance, do you have any specific instances of bad or unsafe behaviour you could share, i would be happy to speak with their coaches who i know quite well and see on a regular basis... The only thing i have seen on a wednesday is kids jumping on the poma from above the bottom station which is a no no (except for coaches wink )
ski holidays
Thanks for the clarification Skimottaret Smile

I would hate to tar an innocent set of kids with a wide brush, and apologise to any kids in the Hemel race team. This is obviously just the Kandahar club.
The confusion arose because some of them wear the black zippered tops with blue Hemel club logos on them.

1) Pushing in to the lift queue on the left (faster) lift by skiing around the queue and blaming speed for being unable to top and just pushing in.
2) Stopping in the lift queue if they are in front and leaving gaps for their mates (multiples of) to ski into (after skiing around the queue) and then simply ignoring comments
3) Gathering at the top of the slope, just on the tip of the slope taking approx ~40% of the top of the slope out !.
4) When they do the single ski slalom exercises they leave their ALL of the other skis at the top of the slope where they were standing, thus forcing people to navigate around them, rather than stacking them up at the back/out of the way by the netting at the top of their run.
5) Not content with taking up 20% of the slope with their (impressive) slalom/mogul run, then they expect to have clear runs down the next 20-30% when doing exercises and practices not in the course on the left.
6) General awareness of the Skiers code. When I teach kids (including my own), part of our training is the Skiers code and safety. These kids show no awareness of this code, specifically
Choice of route - The skier/snowboarder in front has priority - leave enough space. - The kids generally ski where they want, when they want, as close to anyone else (beginner or not) as they see fit. If someone else further down the slope makes a turn where the kid was planning on turning... well wo betide that skier !
Overtaking - Leave plenty of space when overtaking a slower skier/snowboarder. same as above.

Blimey, I'm starting to sound like a right grumpy git Smile

Si
latest report
fishslice

Spyderman wrote:
madmole wrote:

I tend to agree with you there. There's a time and place for race clubs and it's not during public hours, especially when lessons are taking place.

I agree with you fully, there seems to be little or no order put on them. I've had them trying to push in front of me (failed I might add) and that's with me wearing the red jacket. Trying to trash the back of my skis in the lift line.
I don't think they should be there in normal public hours in the first place, but if their race club is going to take a lane, their skiers should be limited to the lane that they've paid for and only use the lift next to their lane. It doesn't give them the right to terrorise other slope users.

The Coaches need to get some order put on them and show some respect for other slope users.
ski holidays
fishslice, hmmmm... a few Hemel kids do train with kandahar as well and if they are wearing the jacket that isnt acceptable and a bit of tar is right!!... i will keep an eye on this and mention it to the kandahar coaches.

not an excuse but what may be happening is that on our monday sessions with HSRC we take over the whole slope and they do barge in on each other at the bottom and a bit of jockeying to stay with their mates happens so bad habits are forming.... when the public also has access to the slope that is completely unacceptable and i will get an email sent to all members reminding that when wearing club colours they need to be extra vigilant and respect other skiers when on shared with public training nights...

strewing skis around drives me nuts as well and this normally happens at the bottom of the slope when they go in for breaks, again not acceptable.
snow report
Did anybody raise the issues with the kids with the coaches or other responsible adults around? They must have had somebody running the sessions, I've never known an adult ignore a complaint about kids in their charge behaving like hooligans, but it can happen.
latest report
Quote:

The only thing i have seen on a wednesday is kids jumping on the poma from above the bottom station which is a no no

I'm actually not to bothered about that because it has no real impact on anyone if the poma was empty and they don't fall over while trying to do it, wiping everyone else out. It's a bit like pushing through a group in resort to occupy an empty seat on a chair.

Quote:

I've had them trying to push in front of me (failed I might add) and that's with me wearing the red jacket. Trying to trash the back of my skis in the lift line.

This really gets on my nerves and I don't think it's limited to the clubs or to Hemel. There seem to be a lot of parents out there who haven't taught their kids any manners, yet will be ready to have a go if someone else dares to tell them off Sad If I saw any of my kids doing that they would get a b*ll*cking.
snow report
sbirring, jumping the poma midway is not allowed as it tends to trip the sensors on the columns and shuts down the poma, a major pain as the lifty has to check each sensor individually and either climb up the column to reset it or use a special pole they have... if you know what your doing and enter at the right points it is okay but as a general rule snowboarders who just want to hit the jumps are the major culprits of jumping in at the wrong point hitting the button spring hard and tripping the sensors, the racers are usually to slight to cause a trip....

Monium, i agree with that, it is pretty obvious who the coaches are during race training and a quiet word with a coach would always get a result...
snow report
Snowdomes have all the annoyances present in a resort concentrated on a tiny 180m slope, I don't know how people put up with the shitshow these places are.

I might go once or twice a year on a sunday morning in august just to remember how to ski but that is it.
snow report
narc, people put up with them because evidently, they don't find the inconveniences as irksome as you or their need to ski is greater than yours. Most go to learn to slide. Many go to improve. Many also go to have a bit of fun or to socialise. The first group go at the most convenient time for them that the lesson they need is on. The latter two groups soon learn that there are better and worse times to go and find their own compromise between convenient time and better sliding conditions. It's certainly more difficult for experienced sliders to get much out of going unless they are trying to improve in a systematic way, go to have fun doing something specific or just have a slide with friends, but experienced sliders who attend domes on a regular basis range from the less skilled to the very skilled indeed and they wouldn't do so unless they were getting something worthwhile from it.
ski holidays
Spyderman, not sure i agree with you about slope use during race training sessions, If a race club rents a lane for gates they should have access to the rest of the slope... In the same way freestylers can use the area outside of the jumps... what drills and freeskiing they do outside the gates is their business and as long as skiing with control and consideration for others is fine.

i get a lot more "terrorized" by out of control skiers and boarders, not racers who although occasionally ski quick tend to at least be able to ski in control.
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
Spyderman, not sure i agree with you about slope use during race training sessions, If a race club rents a lane for gates they should have access to the rest of the slope... In the same way freestylers can use the area outside of the jumps... what drills and freeskiing they do outside the gates is their business and as long as skiing with control and consideration for others is fine.

The thing is when the race clubs rent a lane they also use the public area and treat it as if it's for their exclusive use also, without the consideration for other users. If they can't behave they shouldn't be on the same slope as the public.
It's not fair to compare them to the freestylers, as the furniture is only set up for use on a Friday night during the freestyle session. When there's been a mini-park on a Thursday night, they tend to confine themselves to the cordoned area containing the jumps.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 17-03-10 23:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy